Plane from Scottsdale, AZ crashes enroute Telluride

I kind of figured that's what you were alluding to. But what you're really talking about is flight planning - which can (and should be diligently) done. Whether he files a flight plan or not doesn't enter into it because VFR flight plans aren't real useful in my opinion.

I'd be willing to bet a crisp Benjamin that he knew those things already, and this is a result of poor ADM.

Shouldn't one be flight planning, when creating a flight plan?

Seems like this accident is simply attributed to a very low time, inexperienced private pilot getting in over his head. Why? Who knows....the list is long. Probably pressure not to disappoint his wife and kids as I'm sure they were all very excited about their vacation. Maybe just an overinflated ego or a JFK Jr scenario. Being an inexperienced pilot is a funny thing. Folks are basically handed a license to "learn" with a very small base line of knowledge and very little experience to make good judgement calls. "Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement" comes to mind.

We have new pilots being taught by inexperienced CFI's. I know, there was a time I was one of those CFI's. By the time I got my CFII and teaching instrument students I had virtually no real world weather flying. It's just the way it was and probably still is today. I shutter thinking back to those days and how little I actually knew. In retrospect and in a perfect world, CFI's should be the most experienced pilots with thousands of real world hours who are able to share those experiences to students and not just be able to regurgitate words from a book.

We sometimes, actually most of the time, don't realize how inexperienced we are until we're knee deep in a situation that calls for more experience. If we're lucky we fumble a little bit, luck out and get through it...ergo, we attain more experience and hopefully better judgement for the next time. If not, we become another statistic. High terrain, bad weather, single engine piston aircraft, little experience and you're just asking for trouble IMHO. Yea, I know people do it all the time but safety margins are razor thin. Add in nighttime and a mechanical issues and you might find yourself running out of options and luck at the same time. I prefer better odds, especially with my loved ones onboard.

I have no idea about the chain of events leading up to this accident only the outcome. I can speculate as to the chain based on this being a reoccurring theme. Hopefully, others can learn from it and step back, re-evaluate and possibly break that link on the chain leading to a accident.

Yep it almost got me. But I got scared, turned around and landed at the origin airport.

After failing my CFI initial.

I wound up sleeping in the plane. Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto...I got a little too close for comfort doing a DVT-TUS night X-country back in the day...somewhere around Picacho Peak...I didn't clear it by much...scrapped the return flight for the night,got a hotel and flew back the next morning. It definitely was a humbling and learning experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto...I got a little too close for comfort doing a DVT-TUS night X-country back in the day...somewhere around Picacho Peak...I didn't clear it by much...scrapped the return flight for the night,got a hotel and flew back the next morning. It definitely was a humbling and learning experience

You were really low, were you scud running?

Just scud run I-10, you'll stay clear in-between Picacho and Newman peak's :)

Been awhile, since I've done a PPL flight plan. But filing a flight plan he would have had to look at a sectional to know about the terrain between his departure airport and his destination. We fly to KPAN for my simulated instrument time occasionally. I'll do the heavy lifting and create the fight plan and my instructor will file. So I know what MSA to be at. Again I know that the guy wasn't IFR rated. But still. I know a PPL flight plan isn't as detailed as a IFR flight plan. But it has to involve knowledge of terrain in the area, right?

That's my point, if I'm wrong. Correct me.

Nope, not at all. Look no further than the doosh Cessna 320 pilot in the other thread. He filed direct and waited to see what ATC gave him, then botch'd the SID.

fltplan.com is an awesome tool, but only part of the picture. Doesn't do any good if you don't actually flight plan, rather than simply filing.

Nope, not at all. Look no further than the doosh Cessna 320 pilot in the other thread. He filed direct and waited to see what ATC gave him, then botch'd the SID.

fltplan.com is an awesome tool, but only part of the picture. Doesn't do any good if you don't actually flight plan, rather than simply filing.
I agree! Flight planning has little to do with a flight plan. I can literally flight PLAN to any airport in the US and not look at a single map, sectional, weather, NOTAM, etc. and it will go right into the system. Done! Flight plans are not scrutinized here as they are in other countries.

This guy was pushing all kinds of limits and it caught up with him. For the record, I have problem with that in itself. However, he took others with him and that sucks!

Cessna 320?

I agree! Flight planning has little to do with a flight plan. I can literally flight PLAN to any airport in the US and not look at a single map, sectional, weather, NOTAM, etc. and it will go right into the system. Done! Flight plans are not scrutinized here as they are in other countries.

This guy was pushing all kinds of limits and it caught up with him. For the record, I have problem with that in itself. However, he took others with him and that sucks!

Cessna 320?

Somewhere around post #102

I could possibly see no flight plan, if he got flight following. But it sounds like he did neither. As a result, no one knew they went down until well into the night. Hopefully it wouldn't have made a difference. Just feel bad for those kids and they're bio mom.

Seems like this accident is simply attributed to a very low time, inexperienced private pilot getting in over his head. Why? Who knows....the list is long. Probably pressure not to disappoint his wife and kids as I'm sure they were all very excited about their vacation. Maybe just an overinflated ego or a JFK Jr scenario. Being an inexperienced pilot is a funny thing.

I think again assumptions are being made about the experience level of the pilot. I know innuendo and hearsay have suggested he got his license and the airplane a few years ago. I have yet to see an official source make any claims about his times or training.

Sadly, based on the radar data in the preliminary report, I'd guess he was trying to stay in a decreasing area between rocks and clouds, and got into some cumulo-granite.

If you can't do something smart, do something right

Back