Plane from Scottsdale, AZ crashes enroute Telluride

The METAR right there is a no-go for a private, I wonder what went through his mind when loading his prettty wife and kids... I wonder why we spend so much time as CFIs trying to make understand weather minimums when this kind of tragedy happens...

Fresh pow bruh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A worthy adversary, my friend.

Night VFR in Arizona has taken a lot of unsuspecting people.

Yep it almost got me. But I got scared, turned around and landed at the origin airport.

After failing my CFI initial.

I wound up sleeping in the plane. Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't believe someone would take a risk like that with their kids. This is just sickening and heartbreaking.
What risk exactly did he take?

Flying a single engine?

Flying a single engine cross country?

The facts as I understand them are: 210 Scottsdale to Telluride; crashed enroute where surface conditions were low IFR.

If, and at this point it's a huge if, he flew VFR into IMC, I agree it's sickening. Otherwise I'm going to hold back my condemnation of another pilot until the facts are in

If you can't do something smart, do something right

What risk exactly did he take?

Flying a single engine?

Flying a single engine cross country?

The facts as I understand them are: 210 Scottsdale to Telluride; crashed enroute where surface conditions were low IFR.

If, and at this point it's a huge if, he flew VFR into IMC, I agree it's sickening. Otherwise I'm going to hold back my condemnation of another pilot until the facts are in

Flying single engine, at night, over that terrain, with your kids, in my opinion, is risky. Even if whatever went wrong was not technically his fault, his options are severely limited over that terrain, at night.

I agree, we don't know all the facts, but I don't like what I'm reading so far. I feel like we've seen this play out before. You are right though, we may read something in the report that suggests some other cause.

Flying single engine, at night, over that terrain, with your kids, in my opinion, is risky. Even if whatever went wrong was not technically his fault, his options are severely limited over that terrain, at night.

I respect your opinion on that. I don't necessarily have the same one, but I respect that.

One of the news articles above days they departed at 0930, so night wasn't a factor in this case. I think the plane wasn't reported missing until late in the day.

I respect your opinion on that. I don't necessarily have the same one, but I respect that.

One of the news articles above days they departed at 0930, so night wasn't a factor in this case. I think the plane wasn't reported missing until late in the day.

Gotcha, I didn't see that. The news I saw in Arizona said night, but we know how reliable the media is when it comes to aviation related reporting.

Yes indeed. Kathryn's Report is saying the accident took place around 1636 Zulu which would be about 9:30 AM local.
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/01/cessna-210-centurion-fatal-accident.html

Who doesn't file a flight plan, is a PPL, and flies into known instrument conditions? Filing a flight plan, amongst many other things of note. Could have prevented this tragedy.

Who doesn't file a flight plan, is a PPL, and flies into known instrument conditions? Filing a flight plan, amongst many other things of note. Could have prevented this tragedy.
I think a more relevant question would be why did he try to get under the weather in a turbo 210. What's the ceiling on that 250?

I think a more relevant question would be why did he try to get under the weather in a turbo 210. What's the ceiling on that 250?

Couple thoughts:

No IFR rating so they can't climb through a layer.

No O2. So they have to stay below 12.5

Just bad decision making.

Seems as if the engine was running and they had gas based on the preliminary. So much for the engine out at night theory.

Been awhile, since I've done a PPL flight plan. But filing a flight plan he would have had to look at a sectional to know about the terrain between his departure airport and his destination. We fly to KPAN for my simulated instrument time occasionally. I'll do the heavy lifting and create the fight plan and my instructor will file. So I know what MSA to be at. Again I know that the guy wasn't IFR rated. But still. I know a PPL flight plan isn't as detailed as a IFR flight plan. But it has to involve knowledge of terrain in the area, right?

I know when we fly to KPRC, I'm going to need to be on the V-105 and that I need to be at or above 10k in order to clear the mountains in-between my departure airport and my destination. He was flying at night, shouldn't he have known to be at an altitude above the tops of the mountains? When I did my night x-country, ages ago terrain knowledge was a biggie for my instructor, with all the mountains in and around KTUS.

That's my point, if I'm wrong. Correct me.

I kind of figured that's what you were alluding to. But what you're really talking about is flight planning - which can (and should be diligently) done. Whether he files a flight plan or not doesn't enter into it because VFR flight plans aren't real useful in my opinion.

I'd be willing to bet a crisp Benjamin that he knew those things already, and this is a result of poor ADM.

What would filing a flight plan have done to prevent this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Been awhile, since I've done a PPL flight plan. But filing a flight plan he would have had to look at a sectional to know about the terrain between his departure airport and his destination. We fly to KPAN for my simulated instrument time occasionally. I'll do the heavy lifting and create the fight plan and my instructor will file. So I know what MSA to be at. Again I know that the guy wasn't IFR rated. But still. I know a PPL flight plan isn't as detailed as a IFR flight plan. But it has to involve knowledge of terrain in the area, right?

I know when we fly to KPRC, I'm going to need to be on the V-105 and that I need to be at or above 10k in order to clear the mountains in-between my departure airport and my destination. He was flying at night, shouldn't he have known to be at an altitude above the tops of the mountains? When I did my night x-country, ages ago terrain knowledge was a biggie for my instructor, with all the mountains in and around KTUS.

That's my point, if I'm wrong. Correct me.

Back