Offical PUBNAT 8 is OUT

Are most of you pilots, airline pilots, captains, 152 drivers? What are the experience levels that you bring to the table. I understand that just because I put in 80 hrs a month in a jet at an airline does not mean I could hop right behind a radar scope and start barking off instructions, but doesn't my experience bring a lot to the table?

The majority of the people who are currently ATC's had no prior air traffic or pilot experience. They were all hired due to the strike and did not have time to be terribly selective. I would say that if you have the aptitude for the job and willingness to learn, you should be okay. Unless you get some level 12 tracon!!

The majority of the people who are currently ATC's had no prior air traffic or pilot experience. They were all hired due to the strike and did not have time to be terribly selective. I would say that if you have the aptitude for the job and willingness to learn, you should be okay. Unless you get some level 12 tracon!!

And another thing that was told to me by my trainers was that the training went a little different then(I met a guy that took over 5 years to CPC). It was more train to succeed than it is now. Meaning no matter how much you freakin sucked, it was almost impossible to wash out. Now days they are washing people out at alarming rates!! lol Anyways, I have no idea about other facilities but ZHU is pretty nasty with it.

(I met a guy that took over 5 years to CPC).
Some places aren't far off from that timeline even now. When my friend graduated from the school in Minneapolis he was sent to ZLC. A classmate of his went to Oakland Center. The guy who went to Oakland was in training for over 4 years there, compared to the 2.5 my friend had at ZLC to reach CPC.

ZHU has about 50% washout based on what a CPC there told some of us.

My friend just started at ZAU. They've been told that their trainees have in generally been successful with very few washing out. He said they don't hold your hand though. He's working on maps now. I guess they have some type of test/quiz on a new map each week. All he has to do is show up to work. They don't make them do anything...they can study maps, hang on the floor, do nothing. They've just been told that any failure at this point will be on them, so it's their responsibility to learn what they need to progress.

The good news (if you want to be optimistic about failing) if you wash out of a center is, you can always apply to a tower!

You may not even need to apply. Part of the recent contract:
Article 61 provides procedures for non-probationary developmental controllers who do not successfully complete training. Employees may be given the opportunity for reassignment to a lower level facility if a vacancy exists. Employees will be given a choice of up to five facilities, and en route employees will be sent back to the Academy for terminal training.

Really I think the difference is if/when us pilots get to OKC we are a little bored the first week while all the other OTS non-pilot applicants learn how to read a metar!

:hiya::hiya::hiya: Oh, Shane!!! Don't worry!!! I've heard OK is never boring for anybody!!! :beer: You'll be just fine - working as hard as you were at that computer # 31 or #33 of yours... Can't remember :p. I couldn't see you well from my #11..LOL :p

:hiya::hiya::hiya: Oh, Shane!!! Don't worry!!! I've heard OK is never boring for anybody!!! :beer: You'll be just fine - working as hard as you were at that computer # 31 or #33 of yours... Can't remember :p. I couldn't see you well from my #11..LOL :p

:drool:

I can't remember either...I didn't have to remember any number...I just knew I was the closest to the door:D

Hey, I know this is a waiting game but, how long does it usually take to hear back after the closing for a test date? getting a little tried of checking ASAP everyday.

I can only speak of my experience with PUBNAT7, but it took from 12/10/08 to 03/19/09 to hear that I was authorized to take the AT-SAT. Granted that it may be shorter or longer, no one really knows.

Hey, I know this is a waiting game but, how long does it usually take to hear back after the closing for a test date? getting a little tried of checking ASAP everyday.
It will be several months, at least it has been in most cases.

I applied in August, and didn't get anything about AT SAT testing until almost December.

Add this email to you address book: rvaatsat@coxinet.net

so your invite won't go to junk mail, and check this site once in a while. People will start talking about the test dates as soon as they are available. Pubnat 7 had to wait for 5 months.

:beer:

BTW...funny story. The ATM from Atlanta couldn't BELIEVE that there was a single person out there with a WQ score who didn't have a job within a few months. He was just flabbergasted when I told him that there were literally thousands of OTS waiting. He also confirmed for me that it is an unwritten rule that he never takes people with a Q score.

True story... I was told you had to score at least a 90 to be considered for ZTL...

Back