Offical PUBNAT 8 is OUT

You seem to know a lot about the FAA. Does this "hiring freeze" apply to CTI as well as OTS, or only OTS? I might consider doing a cheap CTI program to give myself a better chance. Also, do you know if contract towers or other non-federal towers are hiring?

The very few people that they are hiring are CTI and OTS with preferences (veterans preferences, not geo prefs). So it would still benefit you to go CTI if you're say, younger than 25 or so.

I've contacted some contract tower companies myself. First of all, you need a tower operator certification. There is only one CTI program that I know of that includes the certificate as part of their program and that's in Beaver County, PA. Second, they want you to have 5 years experience.

May I also suggest joining the Air Force? Doesn't seem to be a horrible idea to me.

Sounds good, but dont controllers HAVE to retire at 55? I always thought that that was the reason for the so called shortage the last few years. Not voluntary retirements rather mandatory retirements.

Its all good though, if I gett hired great. If not, oh well. Id rather not sit and try to speculate.

Another thing to consider is the politicians currently in DC. They seem to really enjoy spending money, especially on government agencies... While the FAA may not be on the top of the list, I dont see its funding being cut any time soon.

As far as the new contract for controllers, wouldn't if actually favor hiring more poeple? I am not fully familiar with what was included, but I wouldnt doubt that work rules and scheduling were changed in a way that would require more employees... I could be wrong though

Yes, controllers have to retire at 55. OR they can retire after 25 years. Plenty of people 45-54 eligible who are not opting to retire.

The reason why the new contract precludes more hiring is because when existing people are paid more (significantly more), there is less money to go into hiring and paying new people.

The very few people that they are hiring are CTI and OTS with preferences (veterans preferences, not geo prefs). So it would still benefit you to go CTI if you're say, younger than 25 or so.

I've contacted some contract tower companies myself. First of all, you need a tower operator certification. There is only one CTI program that I know of that includes the certificate as part of their program and that's in Beaver County, PA. Second, they want you to have 5 years experience.

May I also suggest joining the Air Force? Doesn't seem to be a horrible idea to me.

Beaver County just discontinued their CTO program.

I would look into the Air Force, but my vision isn't good enough.

Before I applied to pubnat 8 i went and talked to an Air Force recruiter and even went so far as to take the asvab. the air force is over staffed because of the economy and aren't taking controllers. i scored a 97 on my asvab and they said they'd let me put ATC as one of the jobs i wanted but it was highly unlikely that I'd get it. so air force isn't really an option either. probably have better luck with the navy. i talked to them a couple months ago and they said they were hiring for ATC if you were qualified (via the ASVAB).

Beaver County just discontinued their CTO program.

I would look into the Air Force, but my vision isn't good enough.

If your vision isn't good enough for the Air Force, it won't be for the FAA. You must have 20/20 and not have any color blindness. 20/20 is about as good as it gets.

it has to be 20/20 CORRECTABLE for the FAA. If the Air Force wasn't willing to accept him, it must have had special requirements for that MOS, like 20/20 without correction. I am legally blind without my contacts/glasses, and I passed the FAA vision test no problem.

and, yeah, WoH, I thought you were a sahm or something? How do you know all this? I think we should meet, so I can pick your brain. I finally made it to San Diego. Oh wait, you live near LA right? I'm too lazy to re-type this if I leave the page to look at your avatar.
Anyway, I also called my small-probably-not-in-dire-need-of-anyone-facility and asked to come by to "tour the facility" and they said ok, so tomorrow I'm going. Hopefully I'll just let them know I'm here, waiting and waiting, and waiting, and maybe they can give me some insight as to whether or not they will actually need anyone soon, and if they can give me any sort of push within the master-frames of the FAA. Probably not. But I have 12 hours to dream....

SO I have been in training for about a week at the academy here and the faa hiring rep came in and talked to us yesterday, and told us we had a golden ticket that you guys wont have the opporunity to get.. that you will not be hired until fy 2011...but they are also washing people out like crazy... just a heads up

Was told the same thing, I may be in your Basics class, crazy C.D. instructor.

FAA rep said 700+ student slots canceled for 2010, average 15 per class, you do the math on that. The academy is responding to federal budget plus request of facilities. Facilites right now are backlogged almost a year on OJT, and asked the academy to step down a bit and raise the standard.

it has to be 20/20 CORRECTABLE for the FAA. If the Air Force wasn't willing to accept him, it must have had special requirements for that MOS, like 20/20 without correction. I am legally blind without my contacts/glasses, and I passed the FAA vision test no problem.

Yeah, I'm the same. I'm 20/2000 without glasses, but correctible to 20/20 (actually 20/15). I hold a First Class Medical with the FAA. The Air Force wants 20/200 uncorrected, if I'm not mistaken.

FAA rep said 700+ student slots canceled for 2010, average 15 per class, you do the math on that. The academy is responding to federal budget plus request of facilities. Facilites right now are backlogged almost a year on OJT, and asked the academy to step down a bit and raise the standard.

That sucks. I guess that means us PUBNAT 8'ers are pretty much out of the running. :(

well I went to my facility and spoke to the ATM, he was VERY nice and although he had no info, I feel better about the whole thing. maybe that's because he said 1 person is definitely leaving within the next 2 months, and at least 2 more are trying to go to ZLA, these are CPC's so they would need to be replaced, and there are only 3 other people besides me slated for SEE this year.
so 3 people leaving = 3 slots right?
i hope.
here's to hearing something in the new year!

well I went to my facility and spoke to the ATM, he was VERY nice and although he had no info, I feel better about the whole thing. maybe that's because he said 1 person is definitely leaving within the next 2 months, and at least 2 more are trying to go to ZLA, these are CPC's so they would need to be replaced, and there are only 3 other people besides me slated for SEE this year.
so 3 people leaving = 3 slots right?
i hope.
here's to hearing something in the new year!

I hope you get some good news. You're on the right side of the process, with a TOL, waiting on a class date. You'll get in eventually.

Back