Need some help here...

mavsfan31

I'll try to make this as short as possible, but sorry in advance if it's long.

I fly out of TKI (McKinney, just north of Dallas). I'm trying to get a summer job there with the FBO (Cutter Aviation). I turn 18 in a little over two weeks (they won't hire unless your 18 and have a HS Diploma). I know the Airport Manager and he helped me get a meeting set up with the Operations Manager at Cutter (he's in charge of hiring the line guys). I'm very outgoing, and can handle myself well in settings such as this. I sent him a real brief email asking to meet with him saying I'd like his opinion/perspective on the aviation industry and wanted to explore potential job opportunities.

Recently, the Cutter website showed a job opening at TKI. Given, I have to have a HS Diploma which I don't quite have yet and I'm not as available as they would like (I'm a senior, things are starting to get pretty hectic). I'd like to use this meeting as a way to gain more knowledge about aviation, along with leaving a good impression that will hopefully lead to a job.

What are some good questions to ask? I've got a few of my own, but I'd like a few more before I go in there.

What should I wear to this? Whenever I see him, he's usually in a polo or dress shirt with khakis.

Any other tips/advice you guys have to offer?

Don't overdress for a job interview, especially if it's one that only required a GED. Go in a nice button up shirt or a polo with khakis. Try to match the attire of the interviewer as much as possible. Anything more will be just overwhelming and/or in some ways offensive. Anything less and you will risk them thinking that you don't see the interview as being something important or formal.

As for questions, of course ask what the pay is and the flexibility of the work schedule. If you're looking for a part-time job, you don't want a job that makes you work all day on the weekends or doesn't allow very much vacation time. A few other could be: what will your responsibilities be, what a typical work day is like, and who will you be working with.

You seem to be pretty excited about airplanes, so this will show when you talk to him. I wouldn't sweat the "availability" stuff too much if you explain that you can be available 120 hours a week after you graduate.

I would say that khakis and a polo shirt would be just fine. Be presentable (cut your hair if it's crazy looking) and shave if you have crazy facial hair. Appearances are important. If you work at Cutter, you will probably need to look fairly sharp even on the job as a line guy.

I think a good positive attitude, a good smile and a genuine interest in the job will go a long way. Of course, there may be 100's of applicants, so don't get down too much on yourself if you aren't hired.

One last thing...if it's not too busy, make a personal appearance...it helps "put a face with the name". If it looks like the manager/HR peeps are way busy, then you may not want to do this.

The folks at Cutter are a good bunch, even if they're extorting TKI with the fuel prices. :D

It's a pretty small world there. They're going to recognize you as an eager, enthusiastic kid looking for a break. Be polite, stress that you understand that Cutter provides services and as such, they want to make their customers happy. If you could get a letter of recommendation from the airport manager and or a couple of the CFI's you know around there, that would probably go to your credibility as well.

As far as asking questions...demonstrate that you're interested in the whole business at Cutter - ask about the various roles people perform and how they relate to the business. Ask what else you can learn to do besides being on the ramp. Employers like to see active engagement, enthusiasm for entry level jobs.

I'll try to make this as short as possible, but sorry in advance if it's long.

I fly out of TKI (McKinney, just north of Dallas). I'm trying to get a summer job there with the FBO (Cutter Aviation). I turn 18 in a little over two weeks (they won't hire unless your 18 and have a HS Diploma). I know the Airport Manager and he helped me get a meeting set up with the Operations Manager at Cutter (he's in charge of hiring the line guys). I'm very outgoing, and can handle myself well in settings such as this. I sent him a real brief email asking to meet with him saying I'd like his opinion/perspective on the aviation industry and wanted to explore potential job opportunities.

Recently, the Cutter website showed a job opening at TKI. Given, I have to have a HS Diploma which I don't quite have yet and I'm not as available as they would like (I'm a senior, things are starting to get pretty hectic). I'd like to use this meeting as a way to gain more knowledge about aviation, along with leaving a good impression that will hopefully lead to a job.

What are some good questions to ask? I've got a few of my own, but I'd like a few more before I go in there.

What should I wear to this? Whenever I see him, he's usually in a polo or dress shirt with khakis.

Any other tips/advice you guys have to offer?

I would try not to interrogate the Interviewer too much. Try having a friendly conversation about the job and what it entails, and try to get him/her laughing. This has always helped me in interviews and if you are as outgoing as you say, the Manager will see this and be impressed. ....."good luck, we're all counting on you".....seriously though...GL :rawk:

I think you should apply at another FBO. They didn't even ask for my high school diploma just if I had a drivers license and 18+.

You might ask, "When can I start? How often can I work? How long can I stay?"

I can't speak for McKinney, but most "line guys" I've seen have been pretty blue collar. If it's in informal meeting, I'd wear blue jeans. If this is actually an interview (I couldn't really figure it out from your post), throw on some dockers and tuck in your polo. Make sure you don't look like you're from Highland Park. Italian Loafers or Fratastic Boat Shoes are disqualifying for this position. I wouldn't ask anything too philosophical or ambiguous (i.e. - Where is the industry going? How's your portfolio?"). Keep some of your enthusiasm on the DL if you think in 5 years you won't be impressed (i.e. - "Holy S*** did you see that sick Bonanza that came in earlier?").

When in doubt, kick ass first and take names later. Good luck man.

Back