monthly photo contest

I agree with the above - the editing can be part of the art. But I don't think sucking at editing (like I do) will hurt you if you take a great photo. Like boobs, some will prefer them natural.

ok. start posting up some theme ideas, and then i'll post a poll on monday or so.

i'm thinking broad themes would be better. rather than "737 winglets" something like "drag reduction". something that allows for some creativity as well as shooting ability.

I think maybe for the first one we could just do something general like "hull photos". Has to be a photo of the outside of an aircraft (no cockpit or cabin shots), where the "majority" of the aircraft hull is in view (as opposed to a shot of a tailcone, or winglet.

Not terribly creative, but might be a good way to get started.

I was thinking of a couple pictures I took a while ago that I like, and I think their subject would make a good starting point. (I've attached said pictures, but I can't submit them because they obviously weren't taken during the right time period.)

"Props"

Feel free to interpret that however you'd like :)

Attachments

• IMG_1116_2.jpg
    IMG_1116_2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Copy of IMG_1115_2.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1115_2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 144
I was thinking of a couple pictures I took a while ago that I like, and I think their subject would make a good starting point. (I've attached said pictures, but I can't submit them because they obviously weren't taken during the right time period.)

"Props"

Feel free to interpret that however you'd like :)
I like the "props" idea but I doubt I'll be able to contribute until after the first of the year.

I'm in!

I like the rules (ie pictures have to be taken during that time period) and the theme idea. I also propose that the winner get's to pick the next theme. (as good as a prize as we can get here because we all know Doug is too cheap to donate 12 T-shirts ;) )

On a side note.... I was thinking of another photo project for us (and was going to post it's own topic until I saw this! weird...) . How about setting up a group on Flickr (I can set it up) and call it JetCareer 365. We try to get and post picture a day (since it's really tough for one person to do, with enough of us in the group we should be able to accomplish this) for every day in 2010. This would be a good place for "rejects" not submitted for the contest as well as all the other stuff we like to show off.... I think after a few months it would offer a real interesting look into the diversity of this forum.

Comments on that?

sounds cool, sig.

alright, so theme suggestions thus far-

plane you currently fly or the last type you flew if you are not currently flying.

favorite a/c.

a/c hulls.

props.

keep throwing up suggestions. i'll start a theme vote on monday. i think the max poll option is 8?

I like the "props" idea but I doubt I'll be able to contribute until after the first of the year.

the submission period will be the first 3 weeks of jan. voting for the winner will be the last week of jan.

3 weeks ought to give everyone interested a chance to shoot.

you guys can decide if subsequent themes should be chosen by the month's winner or by suggestion/vote.

i'm thinking another rule ought to be you can not vote for your own pic. obviously, that would be on the honor system much like taking the pic in the correct time period. we don't want a 10 or 15 way tie for the month's winner.

Cool.

My ATP ride, Xmas, getting married, and the honeymoon all by the 5th isn't leaving me much time. :D

Back