My battle with the FAA

You had a single episode of a sinus headache associated with a cold. Out of an abundance of caution, extensive testing was performed to rule out more serious conditions. You've had no reoccurrence of headaches.

This is pretty similar to my “off the record” conversation I had with my AME that resulted in my application being deferred.

This is the same federal government that some people want to administer a national healthcare program, and which is attempting to mandate an ineffective vaccine.

This is the same federal government that some people want to administer a national healthcare program, and which is attempting to mandate an ineffective vaccine.

Only took three pages this time.

By the way, I don't hear of many military veterans, elected officials, and other government turning down their national healthcare program.

Only took three pages this time.

By the way, I don't hear of many military veterans, elected officials, and other government turning down their national healthcare program.

In what world do you think elected government officials receive the same healthcare as Joe Private in the Army much less Joe Private after the Army. Tricare/VA vs Humana Blue-cross Blue-Shield. They aren’t even in the same world.

I could point you to a whole lot of people who go to Tricare standard over Tricare plus because of the option to see not a military doctor. I did when my wife was pregnant because of how terrible our options were at the installation we were at.

I’ve been trying to get a surgery for 3 years. My wife’s previous knee surgery took us 18 months just to get a consultation. Oh and the military deployed myself and another guy in my company knowing we couldn’t receive recommended medical follow ups (his for his heart, mine for preventative cancer screening).

Yeah it’s spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In what world do you think elected government officials receive the same healthcare as Joe Private in the Army much less Joe Private after the Army. Tricare/VA vs Humana Blue-cross Blue-Shield. They aren’t even in the same world.

I could point you to a whole lot of people who go to Tricare standard over Tricare plus because of the option to see not a military doctor. I did when my wife was pregnant because of how terrible our options were at the installation we were at.

I’ve been trying to get a surgery for 3 years. My wife’s previous knee surgery took us 18 months just to get a consultation. Oh and the military deployed myself and another guy in my company knowing we couldn’t receive recommended medical follow ups (his for his heart, mine for preventative cancer screening).

Yeah it’s spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I’m well aware that Senator ____ receives different benefits than Private Pile or a GS employee and they each have their own problems. None of them are perfect, but I don’t see many people turning down Tricare unless their careers post service offer a better plan, or their spouse’s employee offer something better.

I was merely pointing out the standard “government healthcare is terrible” statement has some flawed logic too it.

Oh, I’m well aware that Senator ____ receives different benefits than Private Pile or a GS employee and they each have their own problems. None of them are perfect, but I don’t see many people turning down Tricare unless their careers post service offer a better plan, or their spouse’s employee offer something better.

I was merely pointing out the standard “government healthcare is terrible” statement has some flawed logic too it.
Private Pyle, maybe?

Ah, I was thinking this one (and I know I spelled it wrong) :
1638673707273.jpeg

I'll second AirDocs. They are a great group and highly knowledgable and Pinnell is not a ticket grabber. I feel he genuinely wants to find legal ways to keep you in the air as long as possible. He and his staff know how to navigate the FAA red tape efficiently as possible.

Well, necropost time. After the local FSDO got me a contact at the regional flight surgeon office I got my medical back yesterday after “just” 3 months with it getting looked at by them. Spent high four figures in medical bills that insurance won’t cover for the FAA’s quack medicine needs (can’t really disagree with their determination that said tests weren’t medically necessary), lost out in low five figures in contract work, and I guess I’m lucky that the whole saga only took 7 months of grounding.

There are no "off the record" conversations with an AME. They work for the FAA, not for you. Sorry you had to learn that the hard way.

I've got a great AME that I trust implicitly for good advice - he works with OKC on a daily basis. I would never expect him to keep anything that I tell him in confidence.
I advise about 150 people per year that are getting into aviation in my office. I warn them about what comes out of their mouths in an AME's office. It falls on deaf ears. I give them example after example of casual conversations students have had with AME's in the past and what can happen. They look me dead in the face, laugh, and say, I totally understand. Then they walk into the AME's office and call me 10 minutes later advising me they got denied a medical. Its useless. People are just too stupid these days.

Well, necropost time. After the local FSDO got me a contact at the regional flight surgeon office I got my medical back yesterday after “just” 3 months with it getting looked at by them. Spent high four figures in medical bills that insurance won’t cover for the FAA’s quack medicine needs (can’t really disagree with their determination that said tests weren’t medically necessary), lost out in low five figures in contract work, and I guess I’m lucky that the whole saga only took 7 months of grounding.

Similar situation happened to a friend of mine where his doctor retired and the FAA wanted a note from that specific doctor. Three years of visits, headache, heartache, travel, and consultations later and the FAA still won't give him his medical back.

I advise about 150 people per year that are getting into aviation in my office. I warn them about what comes out of their mouths in an AME's office. It falls on deaf ears. I give them example after example of casual conversations students have had with AME's in the past and what can happen. They look me dead in the face, laugh, and say, I totally understand. Then they walk into the AME's office and call me 10 minutes later advising me they got denied a medical. Its useless. People are just too stupid these days.
People have always been stupid. It's part of our charm.

Important, as we age and our families reliance on us grows, to find a good AME. The “in and out in 5 min” is great as long as everything is going fine medically. But as soon as you float into some rough waters, you want someone who knows how to navigate through and is willing to do so.

Back