Mesa Airlines, an interesting commute home

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
I sat next to a pilot on the commute from JFK a couple days ago.

My seat mate in first class was an older gentleman wearing a pilot uniform.

Turns out he was one of Mesa's chief pilots.

We had a pretty good conversation. The problems that Mesa faces aren't secret, but it seems like he wants to help make things a little better for the average line pilot.

Interestingly enough, before we pushed a pilot called to resign because he was heading off to another airline. He sounded respectful, wished him luck in his new adventures and spent about five minutes talking about how good of a pilot the person was who just resigned.

I don't know. I don't really have a point, just thought I'd share.

We had a pretty good conversation. The problems that Mesa faces aren't secret, but it seems like he wants to help make things a little better for the average line pilot.

Interestingly enough, before we pushed a pilot called to resign because he was heading off to another airline. He sounded respectful, wished him luck in his new adventures and spent about five minutes talking about how good of a pilot the person was who just resigned.

Good to see that he's still personal with people. I get that faceless state university student "name rank serial number" vibe whenever I speak with my chiefs, which I go out of my way to ensure happens as rarely as possible. Then again, I guess that's a by-product of sharing a base with 1000 pilots.

I endeavored to be the "Huh? Who's that?!" type of employee but circumstances didn't afford that.

But it's not necessarily a negative thing, at least here at Southernjets.

The Queenofsky thing was a piece of cake because the CP called me and said, "Hey, make these changes because some (expletive deleted) is trying to use your site against you and she's got a desperate attorney". She didnt' have a case and wasn't successful at all dragging me into her morass.

The DCA thing was interesting because my union attorney's LOOOOOOVE stuff like this and they were on the situation like peppercorns on a prime rib, the poor bonehead had to update his Monster.com profile after the event.

So, kind of both actually.

Take note kids, those are two potential "JC Jeopardy" questions that could come up at NJC someday! :D

You mean there are humans 'behind the face' of all the madness....;)

As an FO it's easy to go under the radar as long as you show up for work...I maybe spoke to the chief or asst chief once or twice in passing, with them having to look at my ID badge to know my name.

Even as a captain it's pretty rare to speak to the chiefs. I think I've been called once or twice, once for a medical emergency and another for a strange deicing problem.

I get that faceless state university student "name rank serial number" vibe whenever I speak with my chiefs, which I go out of my way to ensure happens as rarely as possible. Then again, I guess that's a by-product of sharing a base with 1000 pilots.

Try it with 1700 pilots.

Fortunately for me one of our ground school instructors was selected as one of our newer CPs.

Great all around guy and went above and beyond what I had expected. Then again it helped that we had prior experience together.

What were the initials of the CP? We have 2 or 3 that I would identify as good chaps, the rest are ... well, not.

Word. I've dealt with 2 great guys, and 1 not-so-much.

Also, pertaining to the comment about making things better, it actually does seem to me that things are improving... now if the company can continue to survive...

I've always been a fly under the radar type of guy but at the same time there is something to be said for creating a positive impression before a time when something negative comes up! I'd say for the most part the XJT CPs are pretty decent. You hear stories but my experiences have been ok.

Back