maybe going to Alaska this summer? recommendations?

flyinghedgehog

Hi Alaska pilots (and alums),

I am looking to potentially work in Alaska. From what I know they start taking applications around March for the late spring-summer. At this point I am going to go for either Freight or Alaska, well, does not have to be mutually exclusive though.

I meet 135 Pic minimum except for night (50 short). 1385 total time.

If you know any Alaska operator you would recommend or want to talk about Alaska in general please go ahead and respond!

I will put up with anything (lack of civilization, lack of good sushi, etc will not be an issue.) However I would not be too interested in flying unairworthy equipment, breaking regulations (rest, VFR minimum, etc) and anything inethical. I hope that is not too much to ask for.

I have look up "Alaska" in the forum but figure I would post a new thread since some of the threads are from way back when and things do change.

At this point I would prefer turbine time (twin would be better, single is still good). I could fly the 'jo but heard that generally they want a lot of multi time and 1500 total for that. At the end of the day what matters the most to me is getting to see and experience Alaska and perhaps meet some of you so I am not picky....pipeline patrol, aerial tour, etc, all fair game.

I am hot for off field landing. Bush flying= exciting. Well, that brings up another question--do you have to be a cowboy to do real deal bush flying?

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe I will see some of you out there this summer.

Last edited:
I'd say get the night hours, you will be much more marketable. It's unlikely that anyone will let you loose to do real off airport flying without some AK time under your belt. But by most Lower 48 standards landing at Kwethluk is exciting enough. Seems like everyone one is hiring right now, even @Roger Roger, he ought to be able to give some good advice. Ryan, Ace, Bering, Hageland and Penair all hire into the right seat of turbine aircraft.

Last edited:
nah I would not shoot for that off airport stuff right off the bat, and not in the left seat right off the bat. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew and get a bad rep for it.

I just PM'ed Roger Roger. Also found myself a list of 135 air carrier on USDOT website. Probably will send out my resume and call them (too broke to fly self to Alaska, net worth in the negative lol.)

At this point I am just wanting to find out more about who you all work for and if you are happy with them (especially with MX and safety culture). Brownie point for operators that you are just happy working for, like you really are part of the team.

Last edited:
Thanks. I suppose that means I need to fly the sleds for a couple months before I am eligible to upgrade into the 'Jo huh.

Well that for an adventure in Alaska, may not be a bad deal.

Hi Alaska pilots (and alums),

I am looking to potentially work in Alaska. From what I know they start taking applications around March for the late spring-summer. At this point I am going to go for either Freight or Alaska, well, does not have to be mutually exclusive though.

I meet 135 Pic minimum except for night (50 short). 1385 total time.

If you know any Alaska operator you would recommend or want to talk about Alaska in general please go ahead and respond!

I will put up with anything (lack of civilization, lack of good sushi, etc will not be an issue.)
If you like Salmon and go to work for Bering Air or Ryan Air or some other NW region carrier, you can have a good job AND good sushi. The best sushi there is if you like Sake (the fish, not the drink) and Ikura and you like to fish. While there's not much of it, the civilization in Nome is some of the best there is... or at least it was when I was there.

In case you didn't know, you will build exactly 0 night time flying in Alaska in the summer.
While technically that's true, when you're still out flying at 2330, it will sure FEEL like there is. ;)
The important thing is, there will always be a bar open when you end your shift. They usually only close between 4 and 5 in the morning because by law they have to close for at least one hour in every 24.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your flying scares a local Bush customer, I can assure you, you are NOT doing it right! ;)
It's all about style. If you're steely-eyed and calm, it doesn't matter if you're hitting the stops on all 3 axes to stay greasy side down and can't see worth beans. Conversely, if you're visibly jittery and unsettled it could be a calm bluebird morning and especially the experienced pax will be nervous.

It's all about style. If you're steely-eyed and calm, it doesn't matter if you're hitting the stops on all 3 axes to stay greasy side down and can't see worth beans. Conversely, if you're visibly jittery and unsettled it could be a calm bluebird morning and especially the experienced pax will be nervous.
Like I said... ;)

While technically that's true, when you're still out flying at 2330, it will sure FEEL like there is. ;)
The important thing is, there will always be a bar open when you end your shift. They usually only close between 4 and 5 in the morning because by law they have to close for at least one hour in every 24.
There's a few hours every day where you can log night landings but civil twilight never ends, thus no night flight time.

The good bars ask you if you would like a few drinks to get through the "closed" hour. So I have heard.

Back