Martinaire

Why no Jepps? Whats wrong with them?
People had a serious difficulty with updating them. Mainly standby pilots. They would just get them and say "well, next week I won't be in this bird, someone else will do it." And so on and so forth. Eventually someone would take the time to do it, but by then who knew if the updates were all there.

The NOS charts may not be as pretty, but they're simple to update, easy to verify they're current, available most everywhere if you find one that isn't current, and thousands cheaper per year. Plus we can support a local business by getting them from the Addison Pilot Shop.

The EFB push is alive and well, though we're looking at a new POI being on property before too long and who know how far back that'll set the program.

People had a serious difficulty with updating them. Mainly standby pilots. They would just get them and say "well, next week I won't be in this bird, someone else will do it." And so on and so forth. Eventually someone would take the time to do it, but by then who knew if the updates were all there.

The NOS charts may not be as pretty, but they're simple to update, easy to verify they're current, available most everywhere if you find one that isn't current, and thousands cheaper per year. Plus we can support a local business by getting them from the Addison Pilot Shop.

That sounds awfully familiar.

The EFB push is alive and well, though we're looking at a new POI being on property before too long and who know how far back that'll set the program.

Sounds like you need to change your name ;)

Anyway EFBs are not economical in a single pilot operation. Unless the requirements have changed 2 sets of charts are required on board the aircraft when using an EFB. Having only one pilot means 2 sets of charts is now doubling your cost for charts.

Sounds like you need to change your name ;)

Anyway EFBs are not economical in a single pilot operation. Unless the requirements have changed 2 sets of charts are required on board the aircraft when using an EFB. Having only one pilot means 2 sets of charts is now doubling your cost for charts.

but but but ipad and stuff... ;)

Unless the requirements have changed 2 sets of charts are required on board the aircraft when using an EFB. Having only one pilot means 2 sets of charts is now doubling your cost for charts.
I've learned EFB 'standards' vary from FSDO to FSDO and POI to POI. I'm glad I wasn't here for the initial paperwork though. I know the budgets I've seen have shown a very nice reduction from paper to digital after the trial period, even with money set aside for the units that will be broken on the line.

I've learned EFB 'standards' vary from FSDO to FSDO and POI to POI. I'm glad I wasn't here for the initial paperwork though. I know the budgets I've seen have shown a very nice reduction from paper to digital after the trial period, even with money set aside for the units that will be broken on the line.
Weird since there is an AC that outlines all the requirements

I must ask, and I dont mean to upset anyone. Whats the point of going to a company like martinair when you have other part 135 companies that offer twin turbine pic such as keylime ameriflight and so on...

I must ask, and I dont mean to upset anyone. Whats the point of going to a company like martinair when you have other part 135 companies that offer twin turbine pic such as keylime ameriflight and so on...
We get two types of applicants for the most part.
1) People who are right at 135 mins, instructing, and just want a 'real flying job'.
2) People who want the route because they either live in or want to live in the base.

For the most part, our standby pilots are made up of type 1, and our route pilots of type 2.

Type 1 asks me a lot about the routes, the flying, and how much time they'll get. Type 2 asks me more about pay, benefits, time off, and maintenance. It's pretty easy to tell from an interview (and especially in ground school) how long we'll have a guy.

A lot of the type 2 guys will put in a few years then put in their apps at the FedEx feeder doing the same route or in the same base. Others have been here 10, 15, 20+ years. As long as their route stays, they're happy.

I get applications from literally ever facet of aviation...from people at 135 mins to guys with tens of thousands of hours. Instructors, airline drivers, other cargo feeder companies (both brown and purple).

Are you the one taking over from MB after he left for Oryx?

Back