Legacy Hiring Tips

Seggy

My place is going to be hiring a lot of folks over the next ten years. In the spirit of this website I put together some tips I have gathered from the Recruiters, Chief Pilots, and Human Resources. I am by no means saying if you do everything I say you are guaranteed to get hired. Also, if you feel uncomfortable with anything I am saying and want to do things differently, go ahead. I am just saying what I heard/seen.

-Apply as soon as you meet the minimums. A few reasons for this. It gives you a great talking point when they ask you, 'why do you want to work here' as you can point back to the fact in your answer you applied as soon as you could. Furthermore, they do look at when you initially apply as it is a great indicator of how badly you want to work at a carrier. Also, update your application every few weeks.

-Go to job fairs until you get hired. Every time you go to a job fair, it is my understanding that they take the resumes, and give an applicant positive points 'to interview'. Furthermore, don't be bitching and moaning when you get to the front of the line on how the wait sucked. They understand it can be frustrating, but they are looking for an applicant to be outgoing and approachable in situations where say you are delayed heavily and a customer needs a question answered. Job fairs are a great test of this.

-Letters of recommendation. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. I would also only put letters of recommendation on file with airlineapps with only employees that work at my place (they don't have to be pilots, but any type of employee with a badge from my employer). I know two guys who got hired with only one letter of recommendation on file. The letters were from the right people, but they only had one on file. The best type of letter of recommendation (from my understanding) is someone you have flown with that is currently a pilot at my place, then line pilots, then any other employee group at my place that can vouch for you. If you want to put down a pastor or another pilot you have flown with not employed by my employer, once again, I would be hesitant to put them down for a letter of recommendation. I would use them for a personal reference on the application instead (if you are saying you MUST have a letter of recommendation on file from a certain someone, go ahead, just remember quality over quantity). For reference, I had five letters of recommendation when I was hired, all from line pilots at my place. However, they only wanted to talk about how great of a guy one of my letters of recommendation was and how he has been great as a Check Airman for them. Once again, QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.

-Our recruiters fly the line. Don't be asking for a jumpseat in a North-face Fleece Jacket and then start bitching about the ground operation at a certain station when a high level recruiter is the Captain of the flight (true story).

-See if one of your contacts can set up for a Chief Pilot meet and greet. Treat it like an interview. Suit, polished shoes, logbooks in shape, resume (keep it to one page @ClarkGriswold :) ), etc. The Chief Pilots really want to get to know you in this scenario, but don't be 'that guy' not taking it seriously.

-NETWORK!

-Show them you are a well rounded individual. Be confident, but humble.

For the regional guys, I know things are looking sucky right now. Don't let the suckiness get you down, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't a freight train.

Good luck!

Last edited:
That is exactly it!

Too many guys sit around the cockpit saying, "Well, I got this much PIC, I got my apps in and no one's calling me".

They're not. Ever.

Get that footwork done, get your name out there, NETWORK (need I even mention this word in 2014?) and you will find success.

That is exactly it!

Too many guys sit around the cockpit saying, "Well, I got this much PIC, I got my apps in and no one's calling me".

They're not. Ever.

Get that footwork done, get your name out there, NETWORK (need I even mention this word in 2014?) and you will find success.

You'd laugh if I told you my stories about the two interviews I got. Complete opposite of "what to do and how to do it".

My place is going to be hiring a lot of folks over the next ten years. In the spirit of this website I put together some tips I have gathered from the Recruiters, Chief Pilots, and Human Resources. I am by no means saying if you do everything I say you are guaranteed to get hired. Also, if you feel uncomfortable with anything I am saying and want to do things differently, go ahead. I am just saying what I heard/seen.

-Apply as soon as you meet the minimums. A few reasons for this. It gives you a great talking point when they ask you, 'why do you want to work here' as you can point back to the fact in your answer you applied as soon as you could. Furthermore, they do look at when you initially apply as it is a great indicator of how badly you want to work at a carrier. Also, update your application every few weeks.

-Go to job fairs until you get hired. Every time you go to a job fair, it is my understanding that they take the resumes, and give an applicant positive points 'to interview'. Furthermore, don't be bitching and moaning when you get to the front of the line on how the wait sucked. They understand it can be frustrating, but they are looking for an applicant to be outgoing and approachable in situations where say you are delayed heavily and a customer needs a question answered. Job fairs are a great test of this.

-Letters of recommendation. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. I would also only put letters of recommendation on file with airlineapps with only employees that work at my place (they don't have to be pilots, but any type of employee with a badge from my employer). I know two guys who got hired with only one letter of recommendation on file. The letters were from the right people, but they only had one on file. The best type of letter of recommendation (from my understanding) is someone you have flown with that is currently a pilot at my place, then line pilots, then any other employee group at my place that can vouch for you. If you want to put down a pastor or another pilot you have flown with not employed by my employer, once again, I would be hesitant to put them down for a letter of recommendation. I would use them for a personal reference on the application instead (if you are saying you MUST have a letter of recommendation on file from a certain someone, go ahead, just remember quality over quantity). For reference, I had five letters of recommendation when I was hired, all from line pilots at my place. However, they only wanted to talk about how great of a guy one of my letters of recommendation was and how he has been great as a Check Airman for them. Once again, QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.

-Our recruiters fly the line. Don't be asking for a jumpseat in a North-face Fleece Jacket and then start bitching about the ground operation at a certain station when a high level recruiter is the Captain of the flight (true story).

-See if one of your contacts can set up for a Chief Pilot meet and greet. Treat it like an interview. Suit, polished shoes, logbooks in shape, resume (keep it to one page @ClarkGriswold :) ), etc. The Chief Pilots really want to get to know you in this scenario, but don't be 'that guy' not taking it seriously.

-NETWORK!

-Show them you are a well rounded individual. Be confident, but humble.

For the regional guys, I know things are looking sucky right now. Don't let the suckiness get you down, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't a freight train.

Good luck!
Nice write up! And that's why I asked for your help ;)

Thanks for the write up @Seggy

I have a few friends of mine that just recently got on at your place. Would you say there is a certain amount of time to wait before their LOR would make a difference? They've all offered, but are all pretty new.

Thanks for the write up @Seggy

I have a few friends of mine that just recently got on at your place. Would you say there is a certain amount of time to wait before their LOR would make a difference? They've all offered, but are all pretty new.

I had a friend at UAL write me a LOR a few days after he finished sim training. I talked with the second guy in charge of pilot recruitment at UAL that told me the instant somebody gets hired, they are part of the family so they are more than free to write letters.

And thanks @Seggy. It's a grind. We will all get there at some point.

Thanks for the great write up @Seggy.

A question for you. I'm assuming you work for a major airline. I currently work for a company under part 135. Currently, I am a FO building SIC Turbine time. If all goes well, I should be captain in a few years and start to build my turbine PIC time. Is it common for 135 pilots to get hired with major/legacy airlines if they meet the qualifications, and are obviously a well rounded candidate? I hear 121 time is preferred, which I can see that. My goal is to bypass the regionals for QOL purposes. I'm gaining great experience in the aircraft I currently fly. I fly all over the US and surrounding countries/islands, in all sorts of weather. Would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks

It is a good write up . I'm sure in the future it will change but for now it makes sense.

Now to find out where these job fairs are. Would be nice to have a large list but my short Googling experience gave me either old or sold out fairs.

I think this is the first good post @Seggy has ever written! ;)

Network, network, network.

I wish I could have gone to many NJC events but work usually has other ideas. One day!

Great post @Seggy. Just one day, maybe I'll get there. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

On a related note, @Derg, when should we starting seeing some of the info for NJC? Crossing my fingers I can make it out there again this year.

The general rule is once you are off probation you can start writing letters. However, with how Airline Apps is set up, all it takes is an employee number to validate the recommendation is from "in house" so a person's status shouldn't matter too much as far as getting an interview goes. How helpful that LOR is once you get the interview will probably vary from company to company. Where I'm at management (and some of the dinosaur captains) make a huge, huge (did I mention it's a big deal?) about being on probation so a LOR from a newbie probably wouldn't help much. Other places it may not matter.

A question for you. I'm assuming you work for a major airline. I currently work for a company under part 135. Currently, I am a FO building SIC Turbine time. If all goes well, I should be captain in a few years and start to build my turbine PIC time. Is it common for 135 pilots to get hired with major/legacy airlines if they meet the qualifications, and are obviously a well rounded candidate? I hear 121 time is preferred, which I can see that. My goal is to bypass the regionals for QOL purposes. I'm gaining great experience in the aircraft I currently fly. I fly all over the US and surrounding countries/islands, in all sorts of weather. Would like to hear your opinion.

Not having 121 time certainly makes it more difficult to get on with a 121 major/legacy. It's probably not impossible, but it will become much more about who you know then what your qualifications are. I think the reason for this is mostly that training and standards at a 121 regional are pretty much a known quantity (and quality) at another 121's hiring department. They know almost all 121 airlines are set up the same way and (mostly) held to the same standards. There is no way to know that about a 135 outfit unless that specific shop is known to the people doing the hiring somewhere else.

Back