Landing Incident @ SFO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will wait for the facts, but being a second generation Korean, knowing the Korean mentality, and having close friends that work in Korea, I am surprised this hasn't happened more often. Remember the Korean Air accidents of old? The culture back then is still alive and well today. From what I've read, g/s for 28l was ots. I bet these guys haven't flown a full blown visual approach in months. Remember, CRM in Korea is not the CRM you find here in the states. CRM in Korea is basically captain is god, you as a FO just stfu. Sad and dangerous. But like I said, remember those Korean Air accidents. I think one was caused because the FO just watched the captain fly into the side of a mountain. Something to think about.

Yep, I've watched M*A*S*H before! I get what you're saying!

;)

I dont know about anyone else but I really, really want to punch this British guy talking on CNN right now. Seriously, just JTFU please.

SFO usually has a bunch of spotters. Id be surprised if this wasn't caught on video.

Looks like United was holding short for them to land. Wonder if the United crew saw the event happen or were running checklists.

on the recording you can hear them get cleared for TO but they ask for a few more minutes....

Will wait for the facts, but being a second generation Korean, knowing the Korean mentality, and having close friends that work in Korea, I am surprised this hasn't happened more often. Remember the Korean Air accidents of old? The culture back then is still alive and well today. From what I've read, g/s for 28l was ots. I bet these guys haven't flown a full blown visual approach in months. Remember, CRM in Korea is not the CRM you find here in the states. CRM in Korea is basically captain is god, you as a FO just stfu. Sad and dangerous. But like I said, remember those Korean Air accidents. I think one was caused because the FO just watched the captain fly into the side of a mountain. Something to think about.

This brings up something I was thinking about the other day. It was a clear visual day in IAH and we were coming in beside either Qatar or Emirates. (can't remember) They said they had the airport in the sight so approach cleared them for the visual approach. The pilot told them they could not accept a visual approach and it had to be an ILS. So approach just gave them the ILS clearance and that was that.

Now someone that flies for some of these can clarify, but I've heard they teach their pilots only to operate the auto-pilot and pretty much don't let them hand-fly. Can anyone confirm this? I flew into SFO just 3 days ago, and both GS are out for the 28's there, because they just finished displacing the thresholds. And I remember the PAPI to 28L was out too. Makes me wonder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is from FlightAware. If it is true, they were descending at 1,320 FPM at 600 Feet AGL....
image.jpg

This brings up something I was thinking about the other day. It was a clear visual day in IAH and we were coming in beside either Qatar or Emirates. (can't remember) They said they had the airport in the sight so approach cleared them for the visual approach. The pilot told them they could not accept a visual approach and it had to be an ILS. So approach just gave them the ILS clearance and that was that.

Now someone that flies for some of these can clarify, but I've heard they teach their pilots only to operate the auto-pilot and pretty much don't let them hand-fly. Can anyone confirm this? I flew into SFO just 3 days ago, and both GS are out for the 28's there, because they just finished displacing the thresholds. And I remember the PAPI to 28L was out too. Makes me wonder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There was an Air Asia or something like that a few years ago where they werent able to land at an airport that had a busted ILS. I think there is some truth to this.

Oooh, a statement from the President.....

Thanks, Mr. Blitzer.

This is from FlightAware. If it is true, they were descending at 1,320 FPM at 600 Feet AGL....View attachment 24350

I saw the same numbers earlier (like right after it hit the news), so they weren't doctored... But you never know, I heard a rumor that Snowden was on that flight...

I wouldn't trust the flightaware numbers for anything important though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back