Landing Incident @ SFO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firefighters look to have done an amazing job.

The accident almost couldn't have happened at a better location, operationally speaking, as SFO has one of the most state of the art CFR/ARFF divisions of the city fire department. 3 stations, one at midfield. 4 large CFR units, 3 of which are 4500 gallon units and one of which is a slightly "smaller" 3000 gallon unit, comprise the main CFR rigs. Additionally, the airport has a structure side used for standard calls of medical and fire nature in the terminal and around the airport, which can also back up the CFR side on aircraft calls. The structure side comprises 2 engine trucks, 1 ladder truck, and 2 light rescue trucks. Almost all of the whole force can be seen in the various photos (lime trucks), with backup engine and ladder companies from the city stations (red trucks). All things considered, it appears they did fine work at first look. Like anything, their own hotwash will hash out what went right/wrong for them, and any things they could've done better, if any.

All I know is that I'm paid "Medium Lift" rates at work. :p

But really, all 767s are heavy, but as others have said, 757s are no longer are designated "Heavy" on the radio.

Ah okay. Damn, my smartass "The media is stupid, I'm a pilot" feeling has been partially ruined now.

Looks like United was holding short for them to land. Wonder if the United crew saw the event happen or were running checklists.

I don't know which media source to use for updates?! Twitter? Or JC?? I'm enjoying the fine updates on commentary for this! We should make a new section... Media & Aviation and keep the content rolling!
y3usu5a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Also, regional airliners aren't "full sized airplanes".

I swear we need a "stupid s*** said by news anchors" drinking game for things like this.

I'm sure some of you unlucky regional types will be hearing about this at some point..so when are you going to fly the full sized planes...DAMN YOU CNN!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Will wait for the facts, but being a second generation Korean, knowing the Korean mentality, and having close friends that work in Korea, I am surprised this hasn't happened more often. Remember the Korean Air accidents of old? The culture back then is still alive and well today. From what I've read, g/s for 28l was ots. I bet these guys haven't flown a full blown visual approach in months. Remember, CRM in Korea is not the CRM you find here in the states. CRM in Korea is basically captain is god, you as a FO just stfu. Sad and dangerous. But like I said, remember those Korean Air accidents. I think one was caused because the FO just watched the captain fly into the side of a mountain. Something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back