Near miss at DCA this morning. Be careful out there.

I just don’t buy that it is a clear cut decision. Every person is different. I won’t fault the person that calls it a day and goes to the hotel, but not do I fault the guy who says he’s all good and continues to fly.

You're part of a system.

Pilots are NOTORIOUSLY dumb when it comes to self-assessment. Fatigue, blood alcohol content, "just a few more seconds and I'm sure we'll see the runway", flying with a cold claiming "it's allergies".

So when a number of external factors are suggesting that you not continue, AS CAPTAIN, people are going to follow your lead and you've literally just introduced a game of "Russian Roulette" to your operation because someone runs the high probability of breaking down on the next stressor. You're assuming that after a high stressor event that you're not going to have an even larger event which you may not have the ability to deal with.

And then it's too late.

And you may hurt innocent, litigious people who are going to call into question what you ate for breakfast the previous week and sure as hell are going to sue you personally for negligence.

You're a captain, be a better example. If I was on your jet, ended up doing an emergency evacuation on the runway in December in ANC because you made a dumb decision because you were fatigued from another event that day, and I found out, I would absolutely "Doug Taylor you in the In N Out Parking Lot" you because you risked my and my loved ones life because of bravado.

None of us that wear a tie to work are dropping bombs, no 'time over target', we all have reserves sitting at the crash pad playing Fortnite getting paid and if the wife is mad because I'm a day late because of an operational decision I made because of prudence and safety, I'm sorry but I'm paid a lot of money to make proper but often unpopular and usually inconvenient decisions. :)
Jest fer tha recerd, t'ain't just them of youse who wears ties. Lot's a us polo-shirt wherin' scrows keeps ar eye open, too.

Last edited:
Yeah. Good for you. That's proper operational SA. Still, good luck with the wife part. I've found they really don't get it. Your "operational prudence" is their "Who are you sleeping with?"

It's easy. "Everything is fine, we're safe on the ground, don't believe the news if you see anything, I'm probably going to miss my commute, I love you, call you later"

I just don’t buy that it is a clear cut decision. Every person is different. I won’t fault the person that calls it a day and goes to the hotel, but not do I fault the guy who says he’s all good and continues to fly.

Yeah, every person is different. The issue is we are rarely impartial judges to our own decision-making.

Nobody is faulting or praising anybody, we need to play it safe. It’s okay to accept the lowest common denominator.

I cry at Walmart openings.

If your loved ones won't accept a call like that when you're fresh off an event, that's a form810 problem! :)
It could well be. Probably is. Family is always fine. Chicks are trickier. I'm glad to hear there is a viable alternative out there, and that you've found it. Really! :)

I think the key element here is how the "love" in "loved ones" is defined.

It could well be. Probably is. I'm glad to hear there is a viable alternative out there, and that you've found it. Really! :)

If "I thought I was going to crap my pants, I'm ok, call you later" isn't patience-inducing and mildly celebratory, "Hon, I got called in on reserve on your birthday" means you're getting divorced.

Can't be a flying over-the-road trucker wth a SO that expects you reliably home every night for dinner at 6pm.

Have that "girl you got that thicc bootie but before I step up, my profession is going to have a profound effect on planning, lifestyle and I'm going to miss holidays, birthdays and various second weddings of third cousins that I really didn't want to attend anyway… Just so ya know what you're signing up for!"

If "I thought I was going to crap my pants, I'm ok, call you later" isn't patience-inducing and mildly celebratory, "Hon, I got called in on reserve on your birthday" means you're getting divorced.

Can't be a flying over-the-road trucker wth a SO that expects you reliably home every night for dinner at 6pm.

Have that "girl you got that thicc bootie but before I step up, my profession is going to have a profound effect on planning, lifestyle and I'm going to miss holidays, birthdays and various second weddings of third cousins that I really didn't want to attend anyway… Just so ya know what you're signing up for!"
Thanks! Really! I've tried to set expectations, but the expectations never stick. And, yeah, I'm basically an over-the-road trucker. So... oh well, I'll keep on keeping on endeavoring to persevere. Or... get an airline job, I guess. :)

Any high achieving career has pitfalls. The only other high paying job that has ample time off that doesn't involve ketamine, autotune and doesn't depend on #'s of streams is dermatologist

Any high achieving career has pitfalls. The only other high paying job that has ample time off that doesn't involve ketamine, autotune and doesn't depend on #'s of streams is dermatologist
And... "the horror". To think, that's precisely the alternative career I came within inches of pursuing. Flying was way easier and quicker.

And... "the horror". To think, that's precisely the alternative career I came within inches of pursuing.

Doctor's earnings, zero (or very few) emergencies. My buddies dermatologist wife is TUE-WED-THU, 0800-1630 and all he's got to do is stay in shape, be arm candy for social functions and work enough to keep flight and health benefits.

Doctor's earnings, zero (or very few) emergencies. My buddies dermatologist wife is TUE-WED-THU, 0800-1630 and all he's got to do is stay in shape, be arm candy for social functions and work enough to keep flight and health benefits.
Yup. I know several. They get to go skiing and beaching way more than I. Although I am not a good reference data point. I haven't had an actual vacation in 12 years.

I have had an emergency skin condition that took six months for an appointment. By the time I got there, I had healed myself. H₂O₂ and good moisturizer ((1→4)-(2-Acetamido-2-deoxy-D-gluco)-(1→3)-D-glucuronoglycan) are good drugs! LOL.

Last edited:
The only other high paying job that has ample time off

Sidebar: Man, I wish I could relate.

But in general, no matter how little time off we have, mentoring and setting a good example is a critical part of the job… Almost the most important.

The most important, of course, is actually being unfailingly responsible in your duty to safety.

There's no honor in pressing on.

Sidebar: Man, I wish I could relate.

But in general, no matter how little time off we have, mentoring and setting a good example is a critical part of the job… Almost the most important.

The most important, of course, is actually being unfailingly responsible in your duty to safety.

There's no honor in pressing on.
(In short: I agree with derg)

My backup career plan is to man the phone lines at 1-877-Kars 4 Kids

That would be incorrect.

I’ve shared a story in the past of losing one engine in a twin right after takeoff once when the gear had just come up and not enough runway left to put it back down. We were skimming trees at night time and it was ugly. Back in 2007.
Yeah, ok

Wish you had shared this life hack like 10 years ago

You're part of a system.

Pilots are NOTORIOUSLY dumb when it comes to self-assessment. Fatigue, blood alcohol content, "just a few more seconds and I'm sure we'll see the runway", flying with a cold claiming "it's allergies".

So when a number of external factors are suggesting that you not continue, AS CAPTAIN, people are going to follow your lead and you've literally just introduced a game of "Russian Roulette" to your operation because someone runs the high probability of breaking down on the next stressor. You're assuming that after a high stressor event that you're not going to have an even larger event which you may not have the ability to deal with.

And then it's too late.

And you may hurt innocent, litigious people who are going to call into question what you ate for breakfast the previous week and sure as hell are going to sue you personally for negligence.

You're a captain, be a better example. If I was on your jet, ended up doing an emergency evacuation on the runway in December in ANC because you made a dumb decision because you were fatigued from another event that day, and I found out, I would absolutely "Doug Taylor you is in the mother • van" you because you risked my and my loved ones life because of bravado.

FIFY

Back