Near miss at DCA this morning. Be careful out there.

So this has to be said: The dude's attitude is toxic AF.

This sorta thing is why gay and trans folk often ask "Are the straights ok?"

Im sorry maybe this makes me part of the problem, but what attitude? Other than an exasperated “it never ends in this house” he didn’t have any attitude other than disbelief that I could see. I’d be pretty damned pissed to if I just got signed up to a dogs life commitment without any say.

Im sorry maybe this makes me part of the problem, but what attitude? Other than an exasperated “it never ends in this house” he didn’t have any attitude other than disbelief that I could see. I’d be pretty damned pissed to if I just got signed up to a dogs life commitment without any say.

Alright, you know I love you, and I don't mean to be offensive, but: "wow."

The guy was acting like a • from start to finish. There's zero empathy, just 100% jerk.

Do you really think it's ok to treat someone you love with that sort of cold callous stoniness? I wouldn't act like that to my worst enemy, much less someone who loves me!

We have a "Post RTO Considerations" guide that we've got to run through after an event like that. Sometimes we're able to give it another shot, other times we're headed back to the gate.
Yup, 302 and the reversers come out, right to jail, right away.

Any high achieving career has pitfalls. The only other high paying job that has ample time off that doesn't involve ketamine, autotune and doesn't depend on #'s of streams is dermatologist
IDK how to say this without being an absolute jerk.

I know personally (from mutual aid companies, my own department, and contacts which sprang from my 911 years) a couple hundred people who volunteer to risk their lives for people they've never met across three NYS Counties and into the near-confines of CT just across the NY border. They go to the office or the warehouse, or wherever, but answer desperate calls for help when the tones drop whether it's dinner-time or the middle of the night or a weekend off. They are just ordinary people, maybe generally blue collar but certainly within their ranks are those of supervisory and management positions within some very recognizable companies, but they want to make a difference when they can. They respond to fire calls and EMS and some that are just plain junk. Generally well-trained and certified by appropriate agencies with oversight many/most of them invest in their communities just because someone has to, and it makes a difference sometimes. They bear the cost of what they see and do alone, for the most part, and the time invested in training and responding to a stranger's cry for help is taken from family celebrations and quiet evenings at home and which robs the needed sleep of a 02:30 morning on a night before work.

They put broken dead bodies into rough, crinkly bags after vicious car accidents or raging fire. They take dead children from swimming pools and the occasional adult, too, and search above fires in burning homes without a hoseline to make sure there are no victims to remove that might be saved. They go into swift water and dive into deep lakes to recover victims or retrieve bodies at personal risk for no reason except that of immediate, exigent need. I know this because I've done these things for a long time.

Although occasionally recognized, none consider themselves to be "heroes" - at least those I've known and with whom I've worked. The three LODDs at which I've officiated as a minister stand as a stark testimony to the fact that not everyone goes home every time, although that is certainly the goal. The ghosts who visit become familiar with time but there is no denying the cost of their visits, not just to the responder at the moment but to family as well. Memories fade slowly as time passes.

There must be a point to this. I think. Maybe it's just that life has it's pitfalls, "high achieving career" or not (although I recognize the context in which that was noted).

Not suggesting for a moment that first responders are somehow "better" in the course of daily living; just that life is a challenge for most of us. Might be in different ways, certainly, with our different responsibilities but never an easy path to negotiate, whatever we do.

Do you really think it's ok to treat someone you love with that sort of cold callous stoniness? I wouldn't act like that to my worst enemy, much less someone who loves me!
I didn’t see it that way at all. Just seemed like he didn’t want a dog, especially without being told beforehand.

I love my wife very much, but if I came home to a new puppy without signing off on it, my reaction would be the same. While she would be more amenable than I to the surprise, my wife wouldn’t be thrilled if I did that to her either.

The guy was acting like a • from start to finish. There's zero empathy, just 100% jerk.

Idk to me the lack of empathy and jerk-ness is coming from the person who decided to surprise their spouse with a major commitment they clearly didn’t want and was never discussed with

We medically-fostered a dog, I wasn't down for it at all and then that little bugger stole my heart.

But to a couple with no kids, one of the two adding a puppy is a life-changing event and everything will change. Last-minute weekend trips are done, being out literally all day — over. a "land mine"-free backyard? A silly faded memory of the past.

Having a dog can be like having a BMW off-warranty. You take it in for a quick oil change and $2,000 later and an appointment for veterinary imaging later, "We just want to run more tests…"

My dog is cool but I would be pissed.

Why do you assume he loves you? Why would you be offended if he doesn't? All of this talk about boundaries and empathy are antithetical. Life's hard, people are mean and that's never going to change, if you feel like making your life harder to make you feel happy you shouldn't complain when the absolute majority of 8 billion people on this planet don't care or are mean.

I think the problem is in todays world anyone not caring or supporting any issue is instantly considered as an opponent, people just want to live their lives. They'll support their friends, but trying to force anyone to do anything is a bad road to travel and will lead to an opposite and equal reaction.

This is by far one of the dumbest thread drifts in a long time

Why does the T-Rex have such short arms? You figure for a carnivore, it'd be handy to help separate flesh from bone and sinew — begs the question "Chicken wings, an impossible snack without the use of opposable thumbs?"

Why does the T-Rex have such short arms? You figure for a carnivore, it'd be handy to help separate flesh from bone and sinew — begs the question "Chicken wings, an impossible snack without the use of opposable thumbs?
I'm fairly certain I could eat a plate of wings with my hands behind my back but it would not be pretty, of course given the use of my hands it still wouldn't be very attractive. Now I'm craving wings, not tonight.

So this has to be said: The dude's attitude is toxic AF.

This sorta thing is why gay and trans folk often ask "Are the straights ok?"

I think @JordanD is spot on and the whole thing was potentially staged. But if it wasn’t, it’s not necessarily just the guys attitude sucking that’s the issue.

Sidebar: how many San Antonio to Houston’s does a female shepherd cost?

That depends on how nice of a wheelchair you want to get the dog 7 years from now when its hind legs are messed up from degenerative myelopathy.

Dogs can be expensive AF.

Back