KOMA tornado

I'm on an Amtrak train about 75 miles east of Omaha right now, heading that way. We stopped and waited about an hour for the weather to go north. There is a massive amount of lightning out that way right now.

This is all in my neck of the woods.

Latest reports I've heard is that Signature and Atlantic FBOs are ok. The older JetLinx hangar is damaged but their new facility looks mostly ok from the one picture I saw. GA t-hangars are obliterated and any plane in there is probably totaled.

Very glad nobody was hurt.

It's been pretty devastating in Iowa and Nebraska. Hope all of you are staying safe if you're based out thataways, or just passing through. Friends in KC have been hearing tornado sirens pretty much all night.

Here’s a video from the terminal side.

I live out on the west side of Omaha and it was a pretty crazy afternoon! Fortunately we only got rain and hail, but the path of one of the larger tornados was about 5 miles away. It did some major damage and leveled quite a few houses in multiple communities.

IMG_4065.jpeg
IMG_4066.jpeg
IMG_4067.jpeg

Stay safe guys. I remember going to IA to visit my cousins during the summers as a kid, and while that time of year was less of tornado season, it still scared the crap out of me......especially when the sirens started going off at night.

Stay safe guys. I remember going to IA to visit my cousins during the summers as a kid, and while that time of year was less of tornado season, it still scared the crap out of me......especially when the sirens started going off at night.

I grew up in Iowa and currently live in Nebraska. It's funny you mention the sirens, as that is one of those weird things that make me feel at home.

Yesterday when the storms were rolling through, my wife casually texted me that the sirens were going off. I checked my radar app and was like, "Yeah, it's bad a few miles away on the other side of town, but it should be fine where you're at."

You joke, but have you ever ridden Amtrak?!?

If I didn't care about time or money, it's the only way I'd travel. The sleeper cars are awesome. Longest trip I've taken was Los Angeles to Kansas City. Several shorter trips as well. Great experience every time.
It is hands down my favorite way to travel between Portland and Seattle.

I grew up in Iowa and currently live in Nebraska. It's funny you mention the sirens, as that is one of those weird things that make me feel at home.

Yesterday when the storms were rolling through, my wife casually texted me that the sirens were going off. I checked my radar app and was like, "Yeah, it's bad a few miles away on the other side of town, but it should be fine where you're at."
I was born in Iowa and grew up in Kansas City, never thought twice about the sirens when they would test them on the first Wednesday of the month until my small town Montana wife and I were visiting and she asked what was that sound. We had a mutt when I was a teenager that would go batpoop crazy howling at them.

Bad weather in that part of the country. My first week in SoDak and I'm sitting in my new apartment, and I hear this horn go off. I'm like WTF?

I look outside, it's hailing, and the sky is an evil green.

That's when I learned that TRWs in the southeast =/= TRWs in the midwest.

It's still on my bucket list to take the train around the country. Gonna have to save a few pennies to travel in a room.

Worth it in every sense of the trip, especially when there's a good clean observation car stuck on the consists. Back before cellphones and whatever else, my family made friends on the Capitol Limited between CHI and DEN with some family from Oakland. Bumped in to them by accident during the return trip on the Zehyr, and it we reconnected multiple times through postcards and vacation plannings after that!

It's an awesome experience, would highly recommend.

Haha, this was something like six or seven years ago. My wife and I needed to be at her brother's wedding in LA. We flew via one way airline from MCI to LAX. Took the one way trip back via Amtrak, in a roomette, for I think $925 for the both of us.

I can't remember what airline tickets would have cost, but they're not free. Plus we were able to leave straight from the wedding reception and not pay for a night in a hotel in LA. Plus it was a memorable, beautiful ride.

As I said to begin with, I'd only ride them regularly if I didn't care about time or money. But it's not a completely insane proposition even if you do care about time and money.

What would be cool would be to do basic coach but only travel during the day and stay in a hotel and explore a layover city at night. Not sure if Amtrack has a schedule where you can avoid night trips.

What would be cool would be to do basic coach but only travel during the day and stay in a hotel and explore a layover city at night. Not sure if Amtrack has a schedule where you can avoid night trips.
Some of the routes have legs where you can do that.

Back