News on the recent Army helo crash

DE727UPS

Business Insider
Helicopter crash that killed an Army pilot was 'not an accident': report
Katherine Tangalakis-Lippert
Tue, April 5, 2022, 6:48 PM·2 min read

A view of UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters carrying U.S. and Afghan trainees take off at Kandahar Air Field, in Afghanistan, Monday, March 19, 2018. The United States has delivered two Black Hawk helicopters to Croatia amid a mini arms race with neighboring Russian ally Serbia and simmering tensions in the post-war Balkan region. The U.S. Embassy in Croatia’s capital, Zagreb, said Thursday, Feb. 3, 2022, the UH-60M multi-purpose helicopters will contribute to Croatia’s growing defense capabilities and military preparedness in support of NATO. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul, File)

A view of UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters carrying U.S. and Afghan trainees take off at Kandahar Air Field, in Afghanistan, Monday, March 19, 2018.AP Photo/Rahmat Gul, File
  • Capt. James Bellew was killed March 30 in a crash involving two helicopters at Wright Army Airfield.
  • A source familiar with the ongoing investigation told Army Times the incident was "not an accident."
  • A criminal investigation is underway.
Capt. James Bellew, an Army pilot at Fort Stewart-Hunter Airfield in Georgia, was killed last week in a helicopter crash that is currently under criminal investigation, Savannah Now reported.
An official statement issued March 30 from Fort Stewart-Hunter Airfield's 3rd Infantry Division confirmed the incident that killed Bellew involved two UH-60 helicopters at Wright Army Airfield, but did not share further details.
On Monday, an anonymous source familiar with the investigation told the Army Times that the incident, which occurred at approximately 2 a.m., was "not an accident."
In a statement to Insider, Lt. Col. Lindsey Elder, public affairs officer for Fort Stewart-Hunter Airfield's 3rd Infantry Division said, "Capt. Bellew was on MEDEVAC duty the night of the incident. MEDEVAC crews sleep on site to remain on call at Wright Army Airfield during their shifts to remain postured to respond to medical emergencies. The initial indication is that all other crewmembers were asleep at the time of the incident."
"Capt. Bellew was the only crewmember involved in the incident and he was the only one injured or killed in the incident," Elder's statement continued: "At this point, we cannot address the manner of the damage to the two aircraft, timeline of events, or the response from the tower and emergency services, as those details are still considered part of the active investigation."
Bellew, a native of Charlottesville, Virginia, was a decorated officer serving with the 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, Savannah Now reported. Over the course of his military career, he was awarded the Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korean Defense Service Medal, and Army Service Ribbon.
The US Army, as well as its Criminal Investigation Division, did not immediately return Insider's request for comment.

Yeah - I wasn't going to say anything until it hit the news, but the source is correct.

Here we go. We're focusing on a "label." I take it when the investigation is concluded, the "label" will change from accident to "intentional?"

Intentional what?

I mean. . .if it were involving cars on the road and two vehicles collided with one another, that's an accident, right?

So, the "cause of death" may not have been an accident?

Here we go. We're focusing on a "label." I take it when the investigation is concluded, the "label" will change from accident to "intentional?"

Intentional what?

I mean. . .if it were involving cars on the road and two vehicles collided with one another, that's an accident, right?

So, the "cause of death" may not have been an accident?

All I'll say until it's official is that the single fatality was the sole occupant of the aircraft, and the accident aircraft requires two pilots.

All I'll say until it's official is that the single fatality was the sole occupant of the aircraft, and the accident aircraft requires two pilots.

It’s not official, but it is true.

Friend of mine is down there dealing with this. The crew that was with him are all devastated with a kind of survivor’s guilt. Multiple individuals stating the guy showed no signs right up until the event. Truly a messed up situation.

I don’t think any investigation is going to show the full story of events or mindset of an individual that would end in the circumstances in the way that it did. More to the point I don’t think the Army really cares to get all the answers because it would force the service to see a lot of stuff it would rather pretend isn’t a problem with the lifestyle and leadership we’ve made the new normal this last decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend of mine is down there dealing with this. The crew that was with him are all devastated with a kind of survivor’s guilt. Multiple individuals stating the guy showed no signs right up until the event. Truly a messed up situation.

It's never a rational decision that anyone on the outside could see coming. Most often they look entirely fine on the outside.

1649279141365.png

It's never a rational decision that anyone on the outside could see coming. Most often they look entirely fine on the outside.

View attachment 64209

The unfortunately predictable part of this is when you look at the military, and specifically the Army’s approach to suicide, all our efforts to making a change of it are akin to a goalie.

We didn’t evaluate or change the stressors that exist in the long term lead up, we just tried our best to keep people vigilant for last chance actions of people carrying through with a course of action that would end in suicide.

It’s like waiting until a chronic alcoholic is actively putting the keys into the car to talk about his drinking problem. You’re only really interested in preventing reportable death, not what caused this person to live this path. You’ve missed a lot of lead up to that moment in the hopes you might catch a break at the final moment.

The unfortunately predictable part of this is when you look at the military, and specifically the Army’s approach to suicide, all our efforts to making a change of it are akin to a goalie.

We didn’t evaluate or change the stressors that exist in the long term lead up, we just tried our best to keep people vigilant for last chance actions of people carrying through with a course of action that would end in suicide.

It’s like waiting until a chronic alcoholic is actively putting the keys into the car to talk about his drinking problem. You’re only really interested in preventing reportable death, not what caused this person to live this path. You’ve missed a lot of lead up to that moment in the hopes you might catch a break at the final moment.

I mean that’s kind of the default nature of any human led organization dealing with any problem. The kind of system safety efforts we see in 121 to prevent accidents took a crap ton of effort to cultivate and are a constant battle to maintain.

A military suicide still affords any family the SGLI benefits. If found to be a death involving criminal activity against the U.S., then that money may remain with the Gub’ment!

A mind that considers suicide can’t be expected to think things through clearly. Sad that he either didn’t or wasn’t able to seek help.

……….

………
During an FTX I had a Crew Chief that was normally outgoing and full of jokes….not this weekend. We all tried to engage him but he just said he was tired. Monday following he walked into his wife’s workplace, killed her then himself. NO ONE saw it coming….you just can’t tell sometimes. Great guy….never would have thought it possible!!

During an FTX I had a Crew Chief that was normally outgoing and full of jokes….not this weekend. We all tried to engage him but he just said he was tired. Monday following he walked into his wife’s workplace, killed her then himself. NO ONE saw it coming….you just can’t tell sometimes. Great guy….never would have thought it possible!!

I don't know anything about your friend's case, but these murder suicides where there's a history of threats, restraining orders, etc. infuriate me. I'm always surprised some concerned family member doesn't "take care" of the person before it gets to that point.

They were separated but no signs or indications of violence/threats.

However, I'm with you. Just read a story today of a guy that got arrested for murder; he had 35 previous felonies, multiple misdemeanors, and 3 different stints in prison.....why is he on the streets?

They were separated but no signs or indications of violence/threats.

However, I'm with you. Just read a story today of a guy that got arrested for murder; he had 35 previous felonies, multiple misdemeanors, and 3 different stints in prison.....why is he on the streets?

Democratic criminal reform. That’s why.

Not aviation related but, much like this guy.....why was he let out of prison and why hasn't he received the help he obviously needed? He was just captured a couple of days ago in Orange County. OC: 'Extremely dangerous' teen convicted of killing mom back in police custody after going missing

It's a serious problem here in California and just keeps repeating itself.

Democratic criminal reform. That’s why.

While it is easy to point fingers and assign blame, but hard to ignore budget cuts. You want lower taxes right? Then ask yourself how are prisons funded?

Florida, with Republican Senators and a Republican Governor:

Or your boi and his efforts to slash budgets and even appropriated funding from other agencies to fund the wall that Mexico was going to pay for.

While it is easy to point fingers and assign blame, but hard to ignore budget cuts. You want lower taxes right? Then ask yourself how are prisons funded?

Florida, with Republican Senators and a Republican Governor:

Or your boi and his efforts to slash budgets and even appropriated funding from other agencies to fund the wall that Mexico was going to pay for.
You seem to like to point at Florida as an example of everything wrong with Republican leadership, what about the craphole California has turned into? It's a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here.

Back