KMIC - SR22 down

Was the aircraft on final approach? I know speaking about the SR20, I found it very hard to fly at the approach speed for a continued amount of time in pure imc conditions

I don't care what anybody says, I fly a SR22 turbo corporate, and it is THE BEST piston aircraft I have ever flown. Out of the major manufacturers, Mooney is about the only plane I dont have any time in, so I cant speak for them.

Certainly, it's a GREAT airplane for a certain demographic...like you and other corporate settings, but its way too much of an airplane for a large portion of the population that they are selling them to.

I don't care what anybody says, I fly a SR22 turbo corporate, and it is THE BEST piston aircraft I have ever flown. Out of the major manufacturers, Mooney is about the only plane I dont have any time in, so I cant speak for them.
Mooney > Cirrus. The Cirrus is easier to enter and exit though.

Hopefully you mean piston singles because I can name about 20 piston aircraft I'd rather fly than a Cirrus.:D

Mooney > Cirrus. The Cirrus is easier to enter and exit though.

Hopefully you mean piston singles because I can name about 20 piston aircraft I'd rather fly than a Cirrus.:D

To be honest, I would rather fly the turbo Cirrus over a lot of the multi's I have flown. I think it is a blast to fly, in good weather and bad.

Thats a great comparison:confused:

What specifically about the Cirrus makes it a plane not capable for IFR flight in your opinion?

Oh he has an opinion of that every newer GA airplane certified is a hunk. He's in the know and won't talk about it, except to "just trust me" because he knows what he's talking about.

I have some time in Cirrus aircraft, mostly IFR, and there's no problem with it.

What some people don't realize is the pilots buying these airplanes have always "thought outside the box" so to speak. Many doctors, entrepreneurs, business owners, ie wealthy people that have been told "no" you can't make money doing that. They didn't listen, defied some odds and they bring that approach to flying. Or the doctors thinking they save lives all day so flying is a walk in the park. Then there's the "yes" crowd. They've never been told no so they just think they can do what they want. As you can see, this is a bad mix of people.

I'm sure most take it serious and are good at flying, it's just the few bad apples that do not approach training the way they should. Thus, we have accidents.

What some people don't realize is the pilots buying these airplanes have always "thought outside the box" so to speak. Many doctors, entrepreneurs, business owners, ie wealthy people that have been told "no" you can't make money doing that. They didn't listen, defied some odds and they bring that approach to flying. Or the doctors thinking they save lives all day so flying is a walk in the park. Then there's the "yes" crowd. They've never been told no so they just think they can do what they want. As you can see, this is a bad mix of people.

I'm sure most take it serious and are good at flying, it's just the few bad apples that do not approach training the way they should. Thus, we have accidents.

In some ways the pilot involved fit the "thinking outside the box" profile, not so much the "never been told no" bit though. He was a smart, successful guy who was also just plain decent and plenty humble.

I didn't train him personally but I know that he took flying seriously and had been very well trained, which makes the accident that much more troubling.

He certainly wasn't in the "bad apple" category, although I agree there are plenty of guys out there who are. (Not picking on the stuckingfk at all, just making the point that this isn't the guy I'd have expected something like this to happen to.)

Hopefully we'll find out what happened and learn from it. Be careful out there folks.

In some ways the pilot involved fit the "thinking outside the box" profile, not so much the "never been told no" bit though. He was a smart, successful guy who was also just plain decent and plenty humble.

I didn't train him personally but I know that he took flying seriously and had been very well trained, which makes the accident that much more troubling.

He certainly wasn't in the "bad apple" category, although I agree there are plenty of guys out there who are. (Not picking on the stuckingfk at all, just making the point that this isn't the guy I'd have expected something like this to happen to.)

Hopefully we'll find out what happened and learn from it. Be careful out there folks.

I wasn't picking on the guy in the accident. Just in general with the types of guys who buy 500K airplanes.

My categories are just my experience, by no means does it cover all.

It's kind of funny how when pilots die in accidents, everyone always says "but he/she was such a good pilot." We would all like to think that but it many cases it is not. If each pilot were Chuck Yeager like, the accident rate would be down by 80%.

I'm kind of disappointed in the general attitude of this thread.

A guy died. We don't really know why yet.

If this was any other aviation accident, it would be rude and insensitive and horrible - but the fact that it was Cirrus gives people here license to kvetch about it?

Disappointing.

To be honest, I would rather fly the turbo Cirrus over a lot of the multi's I have flown. I think it is a blast to fly, in good weather and bad.

What specifically about the Cirrus makes it a plane not capable for IFR flight in your opinion?
One engine! Unproven record in all weather IFR flying. Not designed to the same standards as the other airplanes in regard to stall characteristics. I like aluminum:D.

I would rather fly a ____ in bad weather(all can be known ice):
Multi's
Pa 31, 27, 34(>I), C310, 402, 404, BE65/70, BE55/58,

*Planes I have a good amount of time in

Back