JetBlue plane tipping backward at JFK Airport gate after ‘shift in weight and balance ‘

Oxman

Passengers on a JetBlue flight were shocked when the plane popped a wheelie Sunday night after arriving at JFK Airport.

Shocking images shared online show the Airbus A321ceo tipped back — its nose reaching skyward and the tail planted on the ground.

Passengers were getting off Flight 662 from Bridgetown, Barbados, when the bizarre incident took place.

“Once at the gate, due to a shift in weight and balance during deplaning, the tail of the aircraft tipped backward causing the nose of the aircraft to lift up and eventually return back down,” JetBlue spokesman Derek Dombrowski told The Post.

“No injuries were reported. Safety is JetBlue’s first priority; we are reviewing this incident, and the aircraft has been taken out of service for inspection,” he added in an email.

The incident occurred about 8:30 p.m. after the plane’s second flight of the day, according to data from Flightradar24.

A spokesperson for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey told The Post that there were no disruptions to the airport operations as a result of the crazy mishap.

Pilots calculate weight and balance before every flight to determine the plane’s center of gravity and ensure the proper performance.

The position of the center of gravity is affected by the total weight of the passengers and other contents, as well as their distribution.

At times, passengers are asked to change seats to make sure the plane is properly balanced — but an aircraft tipping at the gate is very rare.

1698082869873.png

Frontier did this a few years ago in Chicago. I’ve seen them unloaded so wonkily before that the air/ground sensing faulted because the nose gear was so far extended.

What type of damage does this do? I would assume it's a somewhat gentle tipping given that the weight is just enough to cause it, and given that it's not a great distance for the lever to travel, but curious if anyone has seen what it does to point where it strikes.

What type of damage does this do? I would assume it's a somewhat gentle tipping given that the weight is just enough to cause it, and given that it's not a great distance for the lever to travel, but curious if anyone has seen what it does to point where it strikes.
Unless there's a tail skid it's skin and stringers. Not the end of the world but it won't be fixed overnight without an engineering disposition and now the airplane has a damage history that will effect it's resale value.

So did the jet bridge leveler just follow it up? Pretty baller if it went up and got it.

Now I’m going to be checking to see if every JB plane I taxi past is “La Vida Azul.” I can’t remember ship or N numbers but I can remember goofy names.

So did the jet bridge leveler just follow it up? Pretty baller if it went up and got it.

Now I’m going to be checking to see if every JB plane I taxi past is “La Vida Azul.” I can’t remember ship or N numbers but I can remember goofy names.
Most jetbridges have the auto function that follow the airplane as the weight is changing as people get off. I’m sure you’ve felt it waiting on the jetbridge

I like this. I think every airliner should be allowed to just sit back and contemplate, not everyday but occasionally. We should have an airbag on a tug to accommodate these sorts of metal health moments.

It is kinda insane what we ask these airplanes to do, almost every single day. They are flying all day, and many of them all night too. Pretty wild if you think about it

Are tail stands a thing on the Bus like they are on the 739?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
there's a slot for one but airbus says they don't need them if you load properly, 7 years on the bus and have yet to see one.

Back