"Jet slams into terminal at Metro Airport" - More Idiots Reporting Aviation News

I think back to ole' Dwight Lauderdale giving the news in 30 minutes, once a day. That included sports and weather. That's all I needed.

Cat in a tree? Check.

Building burnt up? Check.

Local School Board at odds with parents over condiment selection? Check.

What else is there?

Richman

The last carrier I saw doing power backs was NWA with the DC-9's... It's darn hard on the engines (fod) and if done wrong it you can put the plan on its tail.
See, that's the thing! I can understand the clamshell reversers that the JT8/JT9s have, and even the Rolls Royce engines on the E135/145s. They direct all the thrust from the engines forward. The cowl reversers that the CRJs have don't divert all of the thrust forward. To me, it would be tough to do a powerback on those airplanes.

That's more of an educated guess, however. If you guys say it's been done before, I can't argue experience. I do know someone tried to do it in SGU and was unsuccessful.

The last carrier I saw doing power backs was NWA with the DC-9's... It's darn hard on the engines (fod) and if done wrong it you can put the plan on its tail.

Eh? Wing mounted engines maybe. Tail mounted engines, not so much.

Did plenty of powerbacks in the DC-9 and the 727. Roll forward, pop the buckets, 1.4 feet on the floor. Ain't no thing.

Richman

Eh? Wing mounted engines maybe. Tail mounted engines, not so much.

Did plenty of powerbacks in the DC-9 and the 727. Roll forward, pop the buckets, 1.4 feet on the floor. Ain't no thing.

Richman

I've seen the procedure and it was prohibited at my last two carriers. FOD was cited as one reason for banning it.

It was impressive watch NWA back them up and go up hill...

I wasn't aware the CRJ2/7/9 could power back!

At my previous airline - a CRJ-200/700/900 operator, and per the company manuals;

The -200 could do a powerback - however it was only if there's no other choice - AND it required I pretty high up management approval prior to said movement.
The -700 was outright forbidden. (More tail heavy and more risk in the event of a brakes required stop).
The -900 started coming online about the time I was on my way out, so I 'm not sure about that one, but i'd imagine it would be similar policies to the -700.

But that being said, I was only a -200 guy, never had to do it, and never knew of any case where it was done.

Back