Delta pilot turns plane around after 2 passengers refuse to wear masks

Same for people playing around with matches/fireworks and starting blazes. Send em the fire fighting bill!

around here, people who go around road barriers during flooding in order to cross a seemingly benign looking wash or road flood, and then get stuck and have to be rescued, get the bill for it.

same with the hikers who go out hiking up mountains in the summer heat of day with a quart of water, run out and end up getting heat exhausted and have to be rescued....often by helo, get the bill.

Unfortunately It’s only a state law. Getting the bill only applies of local/county/state resources that respond to rescue you in these scenarios. When federal resources come to the rescue to you, often being all that’s available at the time, there’s no bill given to the doofus victim unfortunately. So, same risk taken for their dumb decisions, but no money recouped.

around here, people who go around road barriers during flooding in order to cross a seemingly benign looking wash or road flood, and then get stuck and have to be rescued, get the bill for it.

same with the hikers who go out hiking up mountains in the summer heat of day with a quart of water, run out and end up getting heat exhausted and have to be rescued....often by helo, get the bill.

Unfortunately It’s only a state law. Getting the bill only applies of local/county/state resources that respond to rescue you in these scenarios. When federal resources come to the rescue to you, often being all that’s available at the time, there’s no bill given to the doofus victim unfortunately. So, same risk taken for their dumb decisions, but no money recouped.
The county helo rides around here aren't free, a small group of friends and I were snowboarding at Kratka Ridge, back when it was still open, and one of them fell and broke his collarbone. He ended up getting airlifted to a hospital. I've forgotten how much the bill was, I just remember it being in the tens of thousands of dollars just for the transport. Luckily he was still on his moms medical insurance policy and I believe they covered most, if not all, of the bill.

The county helo rides around here aren't free, a small group of friends and I were snowboarding at Kratka Ridge, back when it was still open, and one of them fell and broke his collarbone. He ended up getting airlifted to a hospital. I've forgotten how much the bill was, I just remember it being in the tens of thousands of dollars just for the transport. Luckily he was still on his moms medical insurance policy and I believe they covered most, if not all, of the bill.

Most people who work in the backcountry SAR community are pretty consistent in being against charging for rescue services, except in the most negligent cases. The research show that if end users are concerned about having to pay to get rescued, they won't call until the situation has deteriorated considerably which often leads to higher risk for the rescuer and worse outcomes for the person who needs to get rescued.

I know I'd much rather roll up on a twisted ankle and help them walk out or even have to do a litter carry, than get called for the same person two hours later, after dark, when they have now tripped while trying to hobble home and have a head trauma.

Most people who work in the backcountry SAR community are pretty consistent in being against charging for rescue services, except in the most negligent cases. The research show that if end users are concerned about having to pay to get rescued, they won't call until the situation has deteriorated considerably which often leads to higher risk for the rescuer and worse outcomes for the person who needs to get rescued.

I know I'd much rather roll up on a twisted ankle and help them walk out or even have to do a litter carry, than get called for the same person two hours later, after dark, when they have now tripped while trying to hobble home and have a head trauma.
I don't recall my friend being told that he was going to be airlifted, or the cost. The Ski Patrol kept him as comfortable as they could, he'd broken himself pretty bad, and next thing we knew a helicopter landed and he was flown away. We were at a proper, albeit tiny, ski area in the Angeles National Forest. I'm sure the story would be very different if had happened during one of our off site adventures. This all probably happened in '89-'91?, long before cell phones were common.

Last edited:
You want to see a bill. A fixed wing or helo air ambulance bill.......many thousands of $$$.

Back