Impossible battle

I had a student doing that... He wants to fly the big airliners for his home country someday. He liked to go FULL POWER!! idle. FULL POWER!! idle. I didn't let that last more than a second! They gotta learn to be smooth... Drives me nuts seeing guys who think the throttle is an on off switch...

1316595744_clarkson-power_zpsb36a0200.jpg

...with James May as F/O? "You...PILLOCK!"

On he bright side I've learned to deal with it. I think some of it is the PTSD but a lot of those folks are leaving and continuing to leave so maybe attitudes are improving. Now if we can just get rid of the stupid FMA calls in the book (not just whenever) and if guys could stop double checking the freaking ACARS numbers with the psuedo calc because they are under the impression there is some sort of error checking like worldflight, that would be great. I work at pinndeavor now, I've learned to lower my expectations.

If you are worried the FO is putting in the wrong numbers then watch them put the numbers in. How is it this side of the fence will always find the most convoluted way of doing things? Does it make people feel smarter? I know I find the long way of doing things because I have little common sense, it's not a badge, it's embarrassing. It's even more embarrassing when I watch another person do it.

On he bright side I've learned to deal with it. I think some of it is the PTSD but a lot of those folks are leaving and continuing to leave so maybe attitudes are improving. Now if we can just get rid of the stupid FMA calls in the book (not just whenever) and if guys could stop double checking the freaking ACARS numbers with the psuedo calc because they are under the impression there is some sort of error checking like worldflight, that would be great. I work at pinndeavor now, I've learned to lower my expectations.

If you are worried the FO is putting in the wrong numbers then watch them put the numbers in. How is it this side of the fence will always find the most convoluted way of doing things? Does it make people feel smarter? I know I find the long way of doing things because I have little common sense, it's not a badge, it's embarrassing. It's even more embarrassing when I watch another person do it.

I got into a huge debate with a Pinnacle guy during recurrent about typing in the ZFW into the FMS. Didn't have a good counter argument though, for his concern that FOs might screw it up. "Why do you trust the computer"... Blah blah blah.

I really find it funny that people have trouble changing. I've had to tell CAs not to take the release and they get all flustered and uncomfortable.

Yeah. Doing the calc after we hit send is just a long way of doing things and inefficent. Watch the FO plug it in. Many captains, even young ones, think they are double checking the bags against your send and haven't made the connection yet that our system is just a computer, not world flight, garbage in-garbage out. Check the entries otherwise you are chasing your tail.

Of course that means you have to put down the phone.

Yeah. Doing the calc after we hit send is just a long way of doing things and inefficent. Watch the FO plug it in. Many captains, even young ones, think they are double checking the bags against your send and haven't made the connection yet that our system is just a computer, not world flight, garbage in-garbage out. Check the entries otherwise you are chasing your tail.

Of course that means you have to put down the phone.

What else do they not trust them to do?

Back