If you had $100,000...

The DFW housing market is insane. We just bought a house and it took 18 months to finally get an offer accepted (we saw 37 houses and put down 16 offers) all of which went 8-35% over asking

(houses between 200-300K last less than 12 hrs on the market)

Luckily our seller was looking to just get rid of it since he lived out of state for the past 3 months so we got it well below asking

Yeah. I have a house that was worth about 100k a year and a half ago. I could probably sell it for 140k now. I am in a predicament right now. Should I cash out now, or keep renting it? I'll have it paid off in 10 years. Who knows what will happen between now and then.

Yeah. I have a house that was worth about 100k a year and a half ago. I could probably sell it for 140k now. I am in a predicament right now. Should I cash out now, or keep renting it? I'll have it paid off in 10 years. Who knows what will happen between now and then.
Yeah my friends sold and now they are having a Probelm finding a house ....living in an extended stay for a month

FWIW, the "only get paid as much as your actual rent/mortgage" policy has been in effect at OCONUS bases forever that I know of.

Yeah, most of my conjecture is based upon the way things currently work in OCONUS markets, particularly Japan. However, unlike OCONUS, there is not going to be any supplemental COLA in most places. I think the real bad part would be with the more junior enlisted folks……right now, 3-4 guys can rent a place, split the rent, and have the purchasing power to live somewhere halfway decent. Force them to all live on their own at places, and that goes away. I would not look forward to a population of junior Sailors who are suddenly forced to live in the slums, and deal with all the crime, slumlords, and other BS that goes along with that. Laws of unintended consequences, that the Washington bean counters will not ever understand.

Back