Pilot shortage - an article

Everybody (the crews I work with daily) keeps telling me that I got into the industry at the right time........

I read these articles and feel very confident but then come onto here and feel like I should still be worried. Sure if I was 1 year older then I could be in the newly regional pilot shoes with a nice sign on bonus but I'm scared in 1 or 1 1/2 years that it could be gone and I might have to just fly where I can get accepted. Seems like some people are on board with me that it looks like there's a shortage (only from what I hear...whatever that's worth) and then @ATN_Pilot throws out these technical theories that are smart and make logical sense.

Had a mock interview with Skywest today with some of their recruiters (nothing too big) and they even told me that they're pushing management to offer a sign on bonus because they are starting to get worried. They said on average the last few years they had an attrition rate of 15 pilots a month and right now they average at best 40 pilots a month. They also told me their plans of expansion to the 175's and etc. so they said the growth is there. After this they also told me when I get the hours that I'll be sitting in a good spot with many offers but I still like to be realistic and think of the worst possibilities so I can plan ahead.

In other words, I love this debate and seeing these well educated theories and discussions. The switching of back and forth that I hear from you guys (which I know most are 121 pilots) and the pilots on the line here make me feel some what nervous and the need to get these hours ASAP.o_O

Also I don't have much expierence, so take that into account. I just like the comrodority and talking to you guys! Most conversations I can't engage in because I'm not as advanced as you guys are. Hopefully soon. :)

I think you misunderstand some of what I was saying. I'm not saying that there isn't a shortage. There clearly is. But what I'm saying is that it isn't going to lead to the increased wages that people on here think it's going to lead to. For what it's worth, you're getting in at a good time in my estimation.

I think you misunderstand some of what I was saying. I'm not saying that there isn't a shortage. There clearly is. But what I'm saying is that it isn't going to lead to the increased wages that people on here think it's going to lead to. For what it's worth, you're getting in at a good time in my estimation.

I'd have to agree with you, even though my posts don't always reflect that. But it is leading to signing bonuses, and retention bonuses. A short term fix to a long term problem.

IMO, to be in this industry, you have to be willing to weather some storms. We are in one right now.

A sign on bonus is an increase in first year pay essentially. Why do people have a problem with it?

A sign on bonus is an increase in first year pay essentially. Why do people have a problem with it?
Because it only lasts a year?
If you sign on a job purely for the sign on bonus, you're not playing the long game.

While I find it. at times, incomprehensible (and ostensibly written in English), one only needs to surf over to PPRUNE to see how totally fuxxored the European pilot market has become. A market where military pilots have a hard time because they have too much experience and won't pay to play. Of course the airlines love the MPL....it locks you in and binds you to a carrier while crushed under a debt load. You going to rock the boat?

It's all about the dollar (or Euro) and the leverage labor brings. The worm is turning to where we have it, and they can't stand it.

That's the ONLY thing this is about.

I really don't like saying this, so this will be the only time: Duh.

When United & American are advertising in Flying like it's 1965, telling the world about paid sick leave and cost-free retirement plans, then maybe. Until then, it's just PR.

Richman

Last edited:
Back