Ice Runway

av8rmsu

I took this video today. 3000' ice strip about 100 miles west of deadhorse, Alaska.

[yt]sfg86VSU-Qw[/yt]

Holy freeking cow it looks a little chilly out there!

cool video! is there a town anywhere around?

no town...just a work camp next to an exploratory oil drilling site. i'm guessing about 40-50 people are out there at a time. we did a crew change...7 in and 9 out.

and doug...the temp was about 0 F. the sun was shining and it felt pretty good out there.

this video was shot around 1 in the afternoon, notice how low the sun is on the horizon.

when i was flying home from london about a month ago, we flew over the territories and at noon the sun was just a sliver on the horizon. that would mess with my head for sure.

Excellent! How's that throttle feel being on the overhead? That always seemed weird to me.

It takes a little getting used to at first, but its nice to not have a center console. the wierdest thing was getting used to rolling your hand forward to get into Beta.

its a great airplane.

You wouldn't believe it...but we have glass cockpits also. its like putting a microwave in a cave.

Synthetice Vision and all!

It takes a little getting used to at first, but its nice to not have a center console. the wierdest thing was getting used to rolling your hand forward to get into Beta.

Strange.

Is "increase power" forward or backwards?

increase is forward

but after pulling it back to the stop/idle...you have to roll your hand forward and then pull back.

Like reverse thrust in a jet then! We've got to reach forward, grab a second set of levers and pull back. Unless you're one of those CRJ weenies or something. I could never figure those things out.

I took this video today. 3000' ice strip about 100 miles west of deadhorse, Alaska.

[yt]sfg86VSU-Qw[/yt]

I've been to Dead Horse and a few other ice-filled/covered places up there. Maybe not that strip, but some like it. Like the video. Reminds me of my old mushing days!

Excellent! How's that throttle feel being on the overhead? That always seemed weird to me.

That is wierd!

0234277.jpg

Back