Oh Qatar

I did call him out on it later after that dinner event. I asked him why the people at the party would think being an engineer making 55k is somehow better than the average 12th yr major captain making 300k-400k+. He didn't really have an answer. He did sound apologetic, and I said it's fine don't worry about it. I just said that there's nothing shameful in my opinion about what I do.

Another story, growing up in our community we knew a husband wife doctor-doctor couple. Uber rich. Highly respected and loved in the community. Anyway, they have a daughter and she ends up doing something decent (I forget her field, but it wasn't medicine). She ends up finding a guy that she falls for, but he's only high school educated. He does something music-related and doesn't make a whole lot of money. She's the primary bread winner. Eventually we don't see her anymore. Literally 2 yrs pass. Then we hear, she married him anyway and her parents were 100% against it - only because of his education. Finally some sensible adult friends said to the doctor couple: you need to hold a reception for them. Who cares what his background is, he loves her, she loves him, so host them a reception. The parents finally did - a full on wedding reception, 2 yrs after their actual marriage.
TMI man! Make it stop!
0FD0ECBC-D055-49FE-BC69-15FE09D70888.gif

My last CQ maneuvers event, the FO didn’t make it through. She struggled with the hand-flown, single-engine ILS. She was all over the place, and the instructor gave her 4 tries. In the end, the instructor mentioned that he could tell she never hand-flew the airplane out on the line.

I could tell this when he had her hand-fly a departure with a speed reduction to 210kts. What did she do? She started bringing back the thrust levers, in a climb. We essentially leveled off. But isn’t that a basic level of learning to fly? Just pitch up. It blew my mind.

Hey man this ain’t a single seat jet!

okay. Fair point. How about

“The best thing you can do yourself, is rent a light GA plane on your own, fly out to the middle of nowhere at a low altitude where there is nothing below you on the ground. Then roll inverted and pull…assuming you can even make it to that area on your own successfully.” :)

Back