How should I feel after cycling?

falconvalley

Absentee Dad of the OOTSK, Runner, Cat Frustrator
I don't normally cycle, but when I do, I cycle for 2 weeks. I have a cheap mountain bike from Target or Walmart. It's nothing special. I'm not concerned with speed, just effort. I ride for an hour at what I think is an "Easy" effort, which in running, is up to the maximum effort you can still hold a normal conversation with someone without being out of breath. I probably should check my heart rate on my easy runs and just target that on my rides but I haven't. Question- is it normal for my legs to feel like jello afterward? I remember feeling this way last year and being concerned enough to hold back every couple days. What's normal for fatigue with cycling?

Perfectly normal for your legs to feel that way. You'll have to gauge "normal" fatigue based on the intensity and length of your rides. If I go for a hard ride I feel like I'm going to puke and it's difficult to walk up and down stairs.

What speed are you riding at? Is it up and down hills or flat?

Normal speed for a non-pro in average shape with a road bike would be around 18mph with a few hills. On a mountain bike it would be a little less.

TP

I'm not sure what the speed is, exactly, but based on the distance, I think it's somewhere between 10 and 15 MPH, depending on grade, wind, and fatigue. I try and keep the effort pretty consistent. My goal is to rest my feet from running and focus my strength effort on weights, while getting my heart rate up so I don't lose as much fitness while I "rest". So, it's not really important that I get better on the bike...it's more or less effort not to exceed "easy". I remember feeling like I was a little tired every few days last year, so I wasn't sure if that was not being used to biking or if I was expending too much. I can tell I'm using my leg muscles differently and other muscles that I don't normally use to that extent, so I expect to be a little tired. So, it's normal to walk around like a dope for a bit, I take it?

I always get the feeling that my legs have to re-acclimate to the walking range of motion. They want to move in small perfect circles in stead of the elliptically. Could this be what you're talking about?

That sounds about right. Yeah I must be just not used to if. My heart rate is pretty low on the exercise bike, at least, but I still stagger a little afterwards.

Fairly normal. Drink plenty of water and some kind of electrolyte replacement. Gu, shot blocks or Brawndo the thirst mutilator.

Make sure your seat is the right height as well. No need for a professional fitting but watch some youtube videos to get a close enough setting. It makes all the difference in the whole wide world.

Think of it a bit like how your legs would feel after getting off a trampoline. The motion of walking feels strange again after being on the bike for awhile.

Back