Hey, all you old-timers! RETIRE ALREADY!

It's real simple guys and girls.

It's a seniority based system.

Deal with it. :(

I would have figured those of us from the military environment would have a better understanding and grasp of the seniority based system than those without military experience.

Not that I disagree with what you're saying Firebird, perhaps it is more with HOW you're saying it.

What does your FO reps have to say about some of your opinions?

The sit down shut up attitude has contributed to many accidents and incidents.

This isn't about that. I'm not telling any copilot to sit down and shut up when issues of safety are at hand. You're a member of the crew, so respectfully speak up when needed. But you can't compare that to the original post in this thread. It was absolutely insulting to the "old-timers," and that kind of stuff needs to stop from the new guys.

Knowing your type from what you post on here I can't see you sitting down and shutting up if a Captain is going on about how terrible ALPA is and how s/he thinks they need a different union. In fact I would probably pay to be on that jumpseat and see how well you are at keeping your mouth shut.
I'm a former ALPA rep. I spent years in elected office, committee positions, and other volunteer positions for National. I'm qualified to speak on union issues. The new guy isn't. But if you must know, you'd probably be pretty bored sitting on that jumpseat in this sort of situation. It's happened once or twice, and the ensuing conversation was cordial and productive. Much different than the opening post of this thread.

Im not sure about Velo but why do all the more experienced guys like staple, Doug, 767driver and the other experienced mainline guys tend to steer clear of these threads? They have tons more experience than you and don't feel the need to push their views on everybody else.

I'll moderate but I really haven't any interest in arguing on the internet. After a thread reaches a couple pages, people aren't "discussing" they're embroiled in circular logic, usually assembled piecemeal from quotes, snippets and things they've only heard.

And like I always say, once someone's feeling get hurt in a thread, the vitriol begins and the people that would benefit from the debate are turned off.

I think my views on a variety of topics is baked right into the site. Questions? :)

I'll moderate but I really haven't any interest in arguing on the internet. After a thread reaches a couple pages, people aren't "discussing" they're embroiled in circular logic, usually assembled piecemeal from quotes, snippets and things they've only heard.

And like I always say, once someone's feeling get hurt in a thread, the vitriol begins and the people that would benefit from the debate are turned off.

I think my views on a variety of topics is baked right into the site. Questions? :)

Exactly. This seems to go on and on and on. As a "newer" member (but gawker for years) it gets old pretty darn quick. Especially when it takes so LONG to load the thread (Doug, you out there listening?).

I haven't had to use the "ignore" function YET, but it's coming close and Firebird is near the top of the list.

Nah, no need for ignore lists.

But I think the "shift" we need to make is that 99% of the things that we complain about either we can do nothing about and/or can be fixed with effective communication.

Classic example.

"Jet U are a bunch of #####s!" and then six pages of similar language followed by the everpresent :yeahthat: 's, a person who might benefit from a cogent discussion of "why" just clicks another thread. We've lost that opportunity to 'fight the power' because we were too concerned with being tougher/stronger/better/studlier than the next guy, and to get that last 'zinger' in.

Trust me, I'm as passionate if not moreso than a lot of people on the forum (hey, it's 75 degrees outside, I'm ONLINE) but I've done a lot of thinking about how we can reach those that need to be reached more effectively.

I think there are a lot more people with an attitude like this than log on simply to display their testicular fortitude to the crowd.

But I think the "shift" we need to make is that 99% of the things that we complain about either we can do nothing about and/or can be fixed with effective communication.

Classic example.

"Jet U are a bunch of #####s!" and then six pages of similar language followed by the everpresent :yeahthat: 's, a person who might benefit from a cogent discussion of "why" just clicks another thread. We've lost that opportunity to 'fight the power' because we were too concerned with being tougher/stronger/better/studlier than the next guy, and to get that last 'zinger' in.

Trust me, I'm as passionate if not moreso than a lot of people on the forum (hey, it's 75 degrees outside, I'm ONLINE) but I've done a lot of thinking about how we can reach those that need to be reached more effectively.

I think there are a lot more people with an attitude like this than log on simply to display their testicular fortitude to the crowd.

You said testicular. I agree though Doug. You find other ways to express your views than by telling someone they are wrong and getting into a pissing match. There are much better ways to get your views across.

Classic example.

I for one (and am sure many others) appreciate the work you put into this. I don't have the fortitude to do what you do.

As for being online when it's 75, well, you should get out more...and no, I don't me more gallivanting about the European countryside! :)

It's raining mud here in San Antonio, so I have a good excuse to be online.

Im not sure about Velo but why do all the more experienced guys like staple, Doug, 767driver and the other experienced mainline guys tend to steer clear of these threads?

Just take a look at my avatar, that should give you some idea...

I'm happy to contribute here at JC and give my opinions on subjects which I have a direct knowledge of and/or experience in.

I will not usually (obviously this post is an exception) participate in "flame-fests," which this thread was destined to be from the first post.

Anyone who has been paying attention to my posts since I've been here will have figured out my stand on issues such as this, which I hope I have delineated in a thoughtful and civil manner.

If you haven't been paying attention, there's always the "see all posts by staplegun" under my user profile, firebird...

Kevin

Just take a look at my avatar, that should give you some idea...

I'm happy to contribute here at JC and give my opinions on subjects which I have a direct knowledge of and/or experience in.

I will not usually (obviously this post is an exception) participate in "flame-fests," which this thread was destined to be from the first post.

Anyone who has been paying attention to my posts since I've been here will have figured out my stand on issues such as this, which I hope I have delineated in a thoughtful and civil manner.

If you haven't been paying attention, there's always the "see all posts by staplegun" under my user profile, firebird...

Kevin

I think that is what you call CLASS. I agree that those my senior know more than I do, no one is arguing that. However if you have class you will make me see it how you see it and educate me in why you see it a certain way instead of just telling me to screw off and shut up because I am new and don't have any right to an opinion. And lately thats what it seems like it is turning into. Now this post is a bad example of what I am referring to as it was obvious flame bait.

Back