Green Card Applicant to US Airlines

bafanguy

Got a hypothetical question to which I haven't found an answer elsewhere...so I'm asking you folks:

A foreign national gets a US Green Card. He has ~2500 hours in a popular air carrier airplane but no US license.

Does anyone know if (with all other competitive requirements being in line) any airline above the regional level has hired someone without an FAA ticket and gotten them one in the new hire process (like some regionals have done with Aussies on the E3 visa) ?

Someone asked me this question but I don't have an answer and would like to at least let him know if he needs to get an FAA ATPL on his own to be competitive. I know airlines hire Green Card holders so that isn't part of the question.

Thanks

If this dude did two seconds of googling he'd see what airlines require. If you don't meet the minimum qualifications their app won't even get looked at.
2500TT is also not competitive for a non-regional airline gig and does this person have a degree?

I hear Envoy's cadet program is the ish, being mainline owned makes all the difference :p

United:

1627659580852.png

Southwest:

1627659622472.png

If this dude did two seconds of googling he'd see what airlines require. If you don't meet the minimum qualifications their app won't even get looked at.
2500TT is also not competitive for a non-regional airline gig and does this person have a degree?

I suspect he did plenty of research and knows what he's seen advertised. He was wondering if perhaps someone had gotten to at least a LCC and gotten the FAA ticket there. We all know things occasionally happen that don't fit the mold and might not make it to the "news". He was merely asking a question to determine if he should just cough up a bundle to get an FAA ticket to be in the game. Certainly a reasonable question.

And the 2500 hours was his time in just one aircraft type which he's considering using for getting the FAA license and not his total time.

He suspects he will have to spend some time at a regional but is just doing some recon.

Last edited:
Sun Country:

1627675371677.png

My guess would be the answer is, yes, LCC's would be interested. If the requirements don't explicitly rule it out, it would be better to try that road before settling for a regional.

I suspect he did plenty of research and knows what he's seen advertised. He was wondering if perhaps someone had gotten to at least a LCC and gotten the FAA ticket there. We all know things occasionally happen that don't fit the mold and might not make it to the "news". He was merely asking a question to determine if he should just cough up a bundle to get an FAA ticket to be in the game. Certainly a reasonable question.

And the 2500 hours was his time in just one aircraft type which he's considering using for getting the FAA license and not his total time.

He suspects he will have to spend some time at a regional but is just doing some recon.
There's always potentially the pay-to-play option of scientology, but before any legacy church will grant you the rights and privileges of full membership, you'll almost certainly have to convert... at your own expense.

The churches usually like the money coming their way, not moving away from them. If you're the Dalai Lama wanting to convert to Catholicism, then yeah, Pope will probably pay your conversion fees... ;)

Last edited:
Further down it says you need an ATP:

View attachment 60181

You cut off everything below the or. Namely, 4 other columns besides "ATP holder" that reference being ATP eligible.

There have been new hires put through paid ATP-CTP. It would be silly not to apply if you are interested and are ATP eligible. I'm not going to look into the requirements for a foreigner, but if it can be done together with the type ride like the others are, it would be a no brainer. The applicant can figure out what hoops need to be jumped through. As far as getting hired, there is a darn good chance of getting hired without paying to take an ATP ride, if the candidate is already qualified.

At the end of the day, they really thin chance of getting hired in the US not being licensed to fly N- reg planes. I wish them the best and honestly have no idea how you go from foreign ATPL to FAA ATP.

I do know how it is to go the other way, having converted my FAA ATP to a UK (EASA) ATPL and it was a MASSIVE pain in the ass. I also converted my FAA ATP to a UAE ATPL and that was super easy, more of a formality. Hopefully for the person in question it's somewhere in between.

Got a hypothetical question to which I haven't found an answer elsewhere...so I'm asking you folks:

A foreign national gets a US Green Card. He has ~2500 hours in a popular air carrier airplane but no US license.

Does anyone know if (with all other competitive requirements being in line) any airline above the regional level has hired someone without an FAA ticket and gotten them one in the new hire process (like some regionals have done with Aussies on the E3 visa) ?

Someone asked me this question but I don't have an answer and would like to at least let him know if he needs to get an FAA ATPL on his own to be competitive. I know airlines hire Green Card holders so that isn't part of the question.

Thanks

What is the age of the person and have they obtained a degree? I would strongly consider applying at UND or Embry Riddle for their compressed degree program and then applying to for the pipeline cadet program to American Airlines. After a period of instructing at the academy after graduation, you would flow into Envoy and finally to AA. That's your legacy job right there.

It would probably be better if the guy/gal just posts on JC themselves, so there are no misunderstandings

Euro types tend to get really upset that their EASA 320 type doesn’t automatically get them a “command”.

I don’t think any of the majors or even the LCC are set up to do CTPs. Most probably figure that box will be checked by a detour through the regionals.

Back