Fully autonomous stealth fighter demonstration in Charleston today

I'm mildly interested in why the "missing wreckage" part is being so publicized. The same could be said for many aviation mishaps, military included. It is kind of an unusual narrative to be focusing on. I doubt the team is far from the wreckage as we speak.
'Cause... Aliens!

It's ALL aliens these days. Refresher course?? 🤣

Don’t all the F-18’s have DFIRS? Of course, they don’t stay with the plane after an ejection.

That is correct. I believe i read an interesting story a while back about the DFIRS washing ashore in maybe somewhere like Scotland, years after a mishap off the VA coast. For those unfamiliar, that is a “Deployable Flight Incident Recording System” (if memory serves correctly). It’s a little box that ejects out of the airplane from back in the tail area, and is our equivalent of a CDR. Would not help with tracking though, unless it were found, and even then, it would only record data up through the ejection or whenever it is programmed to punch itself out. I’ll admit, I was a little slow on the uptake on this story. Didn’t hear the part about the guy being in autopilot prior to ejection. These memes are magical

Case closed. I mean, I am completely convinced they found it. Look, I try not to be the conspiracy guy but COME ON!!

75584251-12534129-Scorched_earth_from_the_crashed_fighter_jet_is_seen_on_Monday_in-a-4_1695108338407.jpg

Case closed. I mean, I am completely convinced they found it. Look, I try not to be the conspiracy guy but COME ON!!

75584251-12534129-Scorched_earth_from_the_crashed_fighter_jet_is_seen_on_Monday_in-a-4_1695108338407.jpg
Back in my squadron days, an airplane took a Canada Goose down one engine, which caused many liberated blades to do all sorts of damage to surrounding vitals. A few minutes later, the airplane rolled over from 3000 ft and nosed into the NC swamp and the crew ejected. The plane quite literally disappeared.

I flew over the site a few days later, and had I not known it was a crash site I never would have suspected, save a shimmer of petrol over one oddly-shaped open water area of the swamp. It looked very much like this picture.

The Carolina swamps are no joke.

This entire thing is embarrassing, not because a pilot found themselves in a situation they felt the best option was ejecting rather than staying with the airplane. The news likes to say the airplane was on "autopilot" and might've have landed in Cuba, okay conspiracy winder uppers, you win this one. A fully qualified, medically cleared pilot flying one of our premier fighters just decided to pull the handles and not only ruin their career but also their back. Something happened on that jet, I have no idea what that might've been but when the brown hits the fan sometimes you gotta scoot immediately. I applaud his wingman who did exactly what he should do. Airplanes gone? My wingman is in a chute? I'll hang out here. That's not some secret, your wingman will stay with you, doesn't matter where the airplane goes. In the end it's not really about airplanes is it?

I'm salivating waiting for someone brave enough to say military aviation is dangerous. It'll happen, maybe not tonight, but it will happen.

This entire thing is embarrassing, not because a pilot found themselves in a situation they felt the best option was ejecting rather than staying with the airplane. The news likes to say the airplane was on "autopilot" and might've have landed in Cuba, okay conspiracy winder uppers, you win this one. A fully qualified, medically cleared pilot flying one of our premier fighters just decided to pull the handles and not only ruin their career but also their back. Something happened on that jet, I have no idea what that might've been but when the brown hits the fan sometimes you gotta scoot immediately. I applaud his wingman who did exactly what he should do. Airplanes gone? My wingman is in a chute? I'll hang out here. That's not some secret, your wingman will stay with you, doesn't matter where the airplane goes. In the end it's not really about airplanes is it?
What news source are you looking at that says that???

What news source are you looking at that says that???
I heard it on AM radio before they found the wreck, I assume an overpaid dunderhead was doing hard investigating, he probably needed to walk his dog and clean the cat litter so perhaps he was rushed and just puked an uninformed opinion as fact before he performed his morning constitution. It was based on the range of a fully fueled F-35B, you and I know that's not what happened. Isn't the F-35B the VTOL version? Regardless of your or my opinion about the veracity of the story we're consumers of media and not creators.

I heard it on AM radio before they found the wreck, I assume an overpaid dunderhead was doing hard investigating, he probably needed to walk his dog and clean the cat litter so perhaps he was rushed and just puked an uninformed opinion as fact before he performed his morning constitution. It was based on the range of a fully fueled F-35B, you and I know that's not what happened. Isn't the F-35B the VTOL version? Regardless of your or my opinion about the veracity of the story we're consumers of media and not creators.
You chose to repeat a story from an "overpaid dunderhead", then try to present me as being a consumer of that sucky media along with you?

Kiss off and man up. You're better than this.

You chose to repeat a story from an "overpaid dunderhead", then try to present me as being a consumer of that sucky media along with you?

Kiss off and man up. You're better than this.
I called out what I consider nonsense, I think we can agree on that, and because you think I'm somehow diametrically your enemy you call it out as nonsense, not because you think it's wrong but you don't like the person saying it. That's not fair old man, you can't be liberal or progressive and not listen to anyone that you don't agree with. You can argue with them but just wholeheartedly discounting anyone and shutting down is the antithesis of what you profess to be. Where'd Todd go?

I called out what I consider nonsense, I think we can agree on that, and because you think I'm somehow diametrically your enemy you call it out as nonsense, not because you think it's wrong but you don't like the person saying it. That's not fair old man, you can't be liberal or progressive and not listen to anyone that you don't agree with. You can argue with them but just wholeheartedly discounting anyone and shutting down is the antithesis of what you profess to be. Where'd Todd go?
You say you consider it nonsense, and that I also consider it nonsense. Which is, surprisingly, correct.

Yet when I call you out for posting nonsense, you try to throw it back on me because you think we're politically opposed??? I objected because I disagreed with your posting nonsense in the first place, not because I disagreed with your position.

You need to work on your logical argumentation a tad bit more, I think.

You say you consider it nonsense, and that I also consider it nonsense. Which is, surprisingly, correct.

Yet when I call you out for posting nonsense, you try to throw it back on me because you think we're politically opposed??? I objected because I disagreed with your posting nonsense in the first place, not because I disagreed with your position.

You need to work on your logical argumentation a tad bit more, I think.
I'm right here, lets talk.

This maybe asking too much at this stage of the event, but is there any indication as to why the pilot ejected?

Back