KAL 007 - 30 years ago

The SU-15, ugly IMO. Must have been rough going up against those big ole airliners....

The SU-15, ugly IMO. Must have been rough going up against those big ole airliners....
If the airliners would have been aware of some of the limitations of post-war Soviet interceptors, they might have been able to run them out of fuel.

Not surprising. It's not a dogfighter, it's a fighter-interceptor, though it probably has limited dogfighting capability. So it's primary job is taking down US bombers and large aircraft anyway. No different than our F-101B/102/106 aircraft. Same-same.

What's his user name? I'm sure there are some interesting threads.

Fencer.

Was the equivilent of a A-6E BN or F-111 WSO, just on the SU-24 Fencer in Frontal Aviation. He and I have had some good discussions on capes and limitations.

Fencer.

Was the equivilent of a A-6E BN or F-111 WSO, just on the SU-24 Fencer in Frontal Aviation. He and I have had some good discussions on capes and limitations.
I met some Fencer guys in Azerbaijan a few years ago. I was tempted to ask for a ride but was afraid they might have said yes - they looked a bit rough.

People bust the airspace all the darned time.

Which is why I thought it was an interesting idea that there could ever be a shoot down over the area. When I surveyed, I covered the entire Baltimore/Greater DC area, and while monitoring guard there were always people, daily, busting that airspace just like you said. I figured if nobody has been shot down yet, what kind of scenario would have to exist for it to actually happen. Scary though. I'd hate to hear of something like that happening.

Which is why I thought it was an interesting idea that there could ever be a shoot down over the area. When I surveyed, I covered the entire Baltimore/Greater DC area, and while monitoring guard there were always people, daily, busting that airspace just like you said. I figured if nobody has been shot down yet, what kind of scenario would have to exist for it to actually happen. Scary though. I'd hate to hear of something like that happening.
The Secret Service has MANPAD and TOW assets, but I think it would have to be something close to a 9/11 situation before anybody is taking aim at an aircraft.

My father started his Navy career in Willie Victors.

Yep, my old man did a second tour in the WV as well......I've asked him many times about it, and he has never told me anything. His only response is "on my death bed, ask me again"

Yep, my old man did a second tour in the WV as well......I've asked him many times about it, and he has never told me anything. His only response is "on my death bed, ask me again"
My father flew barrier patrol (Pacific DEW line). It sounds like your father was involved in sigint ops, pretty intense Cold War stuff.

Last edited:
The Secret Service has MANPAD and TOW assets, but I think it would have to be something close to a 9/11 situation before anybody is taking aim at an aircraft.
Well, I thought we'd have to be close to a 9/11 situation before we considered getting militarily involved in another craphole middle eastern country, yet here we are.

Not surprising. It's not a dogfighter, it's a fighter-interceptor, though it probably has limited dogfighting capability. So it's primary job is taking down US bombers and large aircraft anyway. No different than our F-101B/102/106 aircraft. Same-same.

Difference is, our aircraft look good and the point was, whether a SU-27 or SU-15, it shot down a defenseless airliner.

Difference is, our aircraft look good and the point was, whether a SU-27 or SU-15, it shot down a defenseless airliner.

If it was a F1-11 versus a 757, all you have to do is turn into him, the F1-11 blows right past you goes "Aroo?" and then "departs" controlled flight.

Back