Friend has interview with Qatar; any advice?

hambone

A Korean friend of mine has an interview with Qatar next Sunday. Is there anyone who can give any specific advice on what kinds of questions they ask, or are there any good websites that do?

Little background, she, like most Koreans has not traveled much. She's only been to Japan. She also said that last week, she went to Incheon Int'l Airport just to watch the planes, which I thought while very endearing is something that she should never say on an interview. Basically, I would think that a good qualification for a future flight attendant is that they have traveled via aircraft quite a bit. Is this true? Should she embellish a little bit more about the amount that she has traveled?

99% of the FAs here in Brazil have never even been outside their state before they got hired....I do think it helps, having traveled, since you got in touch with many other cultures and got use to different costumes which can help when flying for a company that operates intl routes.

I have to say that I have absolutely NO experience or knowledge of Qatar's hiring practices/preferences, so take the advice I give with the disclaimer that I can only speak of my own experiences which are solely with U.S.-based carriers...

Here in the U.S., the amount that a F/A candidate has traveled (or hasn't traveled) is pretty much a non-factor. What a F/A candidate knows about airlines, aviation, flying, is a complete non-issue too, they're not looking for aviation people, they're looking for customer service people for their F/A positions. A good attitude, positive demeanor, customer service experience, a professional appearance and a SMILE are what is most important. When I was hired by Eagle in 1995, I had never flown commercially before. My first airline flight was my flight to DFW for the 2nd interview (1st interview was a group interview/cattle call at the MSN airport). So being VERY un-traveled had no bearing at ALL on my getting hired. When I did recruiting for Eagle we didn't care at all how traveled a person was, what mattered were the characteristics I listed above.

Again, I do not know anything about Qatar's specific hiring practices or preferences... but the above the best guidance I have to offer. Hope it helps. :) And good luck to your friend!

I have to say that I have absolutely NO experience or knowledge of Qatar's hiring practices/preferences, so take the advice I give with the disclaimer that I can only speak of my own experiences which are solely with U.S.-based carriers...

Here in the U.S., the amount that a F/A candidate has traveled (or hasn't traveled) is pretty much a non-factor. What a F/A candidate knows about airlines, aviation, flying, is a complete non-issue too, they're not looking for aviation people, they're looking for customer service people for their F/A positions. A good attitude, positive demeanor, customer service experience, a professional appearance and a SMILE are what is most important. When I was hired by Eagle in 1995, I had never flown commercially before. My first airline flight was my flight to DFW for the 2nd interview (1st interview was a group interview/cattle call at the MSN airport). So being VERY un-traveled had no bearing at ALL on my getting hired. When I did recruiting for Eagle we didn't care at all how traveled a person was, what mattered were the characteristics I listed above.

Again, I do not know anything about Qatar's specific hiring practices or preferences... but the above the best guidance I have to offer. Hope it helps. :) And good luck to your friend!

Hey, thanks very much. She's got an amazing personality and speaks good English so she should be fine.

Tell her to be ready to tackle any scenarios they might throw at her. Like MQAAord said, it's not about being an aviation person. They want someone, regardless of the airline that can be leaders in the cabin. Someone who won't be afraid to take initiative and charge when things go wrong.

Back