ERJ headsets

Alchemy

Hi,

I've flown the ERJ for oh....6 years now, and have always used david clarks. I started out bring my own H20-10's but got tired of that after a year or so and started using the company provided 13.4's (or whatever they are). I guess I've been using those for about 5 years.

Anyway, the headsets have become one of the most frustrating parts of this job over the years. Specifically I notice a tendency of many headsets to have microphone issues. Usually when you first plug them in they sound good, but on many headsets, as the flight progresses the mic gets progressively less sensitive until it barely picks you up at all. This leads to you either having to stop during the taxi to put on a different headset or having to transfer all duties to the other pilot momentarily in-flight while you change headsets. Occasionally all the available 13.4's will do this and then you're stuck dealing with it until you can have maintenance give you a new headset. Trying to twist the mic boom around so that you're talking into the other side of the mic works as a temporary solution but the thing always tries to untwist to its original position.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of quick fix on the 13.4 that will solve this problem? Does this even happen to anyone else? I assume it's caused by dirt on the mic but i don't understand why they often sound fine at first then get progressively worse as the flight goes on (and no, it's not from increased wind noise, it is noticeable during a taxi or during constant cruise).

Finally, if anyone has any recommendations for a good headset for the ERJ I'm open to options. I don't want to wear earplugs or earmolds, but am open to ANR or clamps. If I'm going to bring my own I figure it might as well be better than the 13.4's though.

Edited to Add: I did a little research and found that the mics will fade if exposed to humidity, which is probably coming from my breath...yummy. I guess I should just try keeping the mic further away from my mouth....although this still doesn't explain why most work fine yet around 10% are just horrible.

I know you're not interested in ear molds, but when I'm back online I'm going to use the Plantronics set on this website:

http://www.pilotstuff.com/headsets.html

A custom made ear mold fits in your ear properly and you can't get it's there. It'll block out all the noise of this God forsaken aircraft, and still allow you to hear what's going on.

The seven years I was at Express I wore my Telex 750. Once I got above 250 knots I put in earplugs. Below 250 I would remove them. Worked great, saved my hearing and no headaches from the clamps. Maybe you remember? :)

I did what JoelT did, except I just left the earplugs in from block in to block out.

The wind noise goes away and you can ear ATC a lot better. If you don't mind wearing earplugs this is the way to go. ANR is not needed in that plane in my opinion. It's no bass and all wind.

I know they're expensive, but I just picked up the new Bose A20s. They really cut out the wind noise and aren't very much of a clamp at all. They're pretty awesome.

Another interim solution would be to go by the Stopover Store and pick up a few of those mic muffs for the DCs. Take them with you and slide them on the mic during the flight and take it with you when you're done. It'll shield the mic from your breath and all the other germs living in that thing.

Oregon Aero has some foam inserts for the H10-13.4s and a new headpad, and you can clip the spring a little and reduce the clamping force. Along with that comes reduced noise attenuation. Overall DCs fail in the ERJ.

The Bose X didn't work so well for me, it's magic in a prop but the ANR wasn't tuned to the noise frequencies in a jet (wind noise mostly).
The Bose A20 is amazing in the ERJ-flew with an FO recently that had one, and resisted the urge to go buy one on an overnight.
Note that for $1K you still can't adjust the mic gain on these things. Not a big issue until you fly a lot at 315 indicated in the high teens, like most of our ORD flying.

Telex 750's work for some, just remember to turn down the audio panel when you're done.

Personally I'm probably going with the non-bluetooth Bose A20. TSO, great ANR, and have great resale value.

I rocked the Telex 5X5 with a custom earmold and an earplug above 250 for the open ear for 5 years on the WSCOD. Took a minute to get used to, but it worked without fail and still does.

Thanks a bunch for the replies, fellas. I'll see if i can give some earmolds a try and will do my best to get my hands on a telex, plantronics and an A20 to see which I like the best. Considering how much time (18+) days per month we spend with headsets on, $1,000 doesn't seem like too much to spend.

How are those custom ear molds on a turboprop like the Beech 99 Jtrain? I am in need of a new headset and am looking at the clarity aloft, but I didn't know if those in ear headsets will work when I move to bigger aircraft one day? The clarity is great in a skyhawk.

Dunno, I used a Lightspeed Twenty 3G in the Chieftain/99, and if I was still flying that type of equipment I'd be using a pair of Lightspeed Zulu's.

The ERJ is a different animal altogether, and in ear headsets make a lot of sense with it. But in a turboprop like the 99, I'd get the best ANR headset possible.

There is a serious issue with the TSO version of the Clarity Aloft. You get audio bleed through from the nav radios, particularly in the older ERJs. Newer LRs and the XR do not have the problem. CA is aware of the issue but has no idea why. Curiously the non-TSO version does not have this problem.

If it were not for this issue I'd have one of these, hands down.

There is a serious issue with the TSO version of the Clarity Aloft. You get audio bleed through from the nav radios, particularly in the older ERJs. Newer LRs and the XR do not have the problem. CA is aware of the issue but has no idea why. Curiously the non-TSO version does not have this problem.

If it were not for this issue I'd have one of these, hands down.

That's interesting. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the CRJ's. I've used it in all three models without issue. Occasionally you'll get some morse code bleedover, but it happens regardless of headset used. Sennheiser, DC's, Telex... it doesn't seem to matter. It's an aircraft specific thing instead. Once you get past the difference of having something inside your ear vs. over it (about 2 weeks) you will never go back. You can pry them out of my cold dead hands!!!

I know 2 guys in the classic whale that had issues with Clarity alofts. They'd trigger the mic and leave it open. :eek:

From talking with the Train, the ERJ noise is far worse than that of a CRJ.

That being said, I recently ditched my Telex 500 ANR for the Plantronics MS50/T30-1 headset with a custom ear mold for my right ear from Westone. jtrain found a wonderful dual ear set-up from a smaller company that looks like it would work great, but I'm currently using a foam ear piece in my left ear, while the mold is in the right.

Lightest set-up I've ever dealt with, absolutely enjoyable to use and best of all - it's small and doesn't take up the room of the Telex 500 or any other huge headset.

I'm using my Bose X headset, and it works pretty well. Although I have done topless(giggity) with earplugs and that is quieter.

I'm using my Bose X headset, and it works pretty well. Although I have done topless(giggity) with earplugs and that is quieter.

Just sold my Bose X and put the money towards the Bose A20 for the ERJ- i'll have to let ya know how they work in the jungle jet when I get em!! Anyone used em in a Jet yet? Heard it takes the wind noise out way more than the Bose X does???

Just sold my Bose X and put the money towards the Bose A20 for the ERJ- i'll have to let ya know how they work in the jungle jet when I get em!! Anyone used em in a Jet yet? Heard it takes the wind noise out way more than the Bose X does???

I use it in the jet. I've used DCs, in-ear models, Bose Xs and now the A20. The A20 is by far the best headset I've used for this airplane!

Back