ERJ headsets

Hey guys, I fly the 737-800 and we don't use the intercom/hot mike. I am tossing up between the telex 750 single side or the single side ANR 850. Since an active intercom or hot mic is required for the ANR to work is there any benefit in getting the 850? Apart from the ANR is it a superior headset in anyway? If I got the single side 750 I will get the leatherette ear cushions for it. I plan on using custom musician ear molds for both ears regardless of which headset I choose.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I fly the 737-800 and we don't use the intercom/hot mike. I am tossing up between the telex 750 single side or the single side ANR 850. Since an active intercom or hot mic is required for the ANR to work is there any benefit in getting the 850? Apart from the ANR is it a superior headset in anyway? If I got the single side 750 I will get the leatherette ear cushions for it. I plan on using custom musician ear molds for both ears regardless of which headset I choose.

Thanks in advance.

The 850 was substantially better than the 750 for me in the 747, which has a smilair if not worse noise level than the 737. As far as I know, it also has the same type of audio setup (no hot mic unless someone brings rubber bands).

The 850's ANR works without a hot mic; all you have to do is unplug the headset while wearing it and it's obvious that it's working. As soon as you unplug it you get a lot of whooshing wind noise that wasn't there while it was plugged in.

I definitely wouldn't get the single side 750, but it might be okay if you just fly domestic. When I we go to some place like Incheon or Karachi, I need all the clarity and isolation I can get to understand the controllers reliably. I also appreciate the 850 when trying to use HF radios. In these cases I wear both sides of the headset over my ears and just listen a little more carefully if I see the other pilot talking. The rest of the time, the 850 is perfectly comfortable with one pad behind the ear. The 850 also has better earpads than the 750, it's some kind of synthetic pleather rather than the foam on the 750.

So yeah, the 850 is definitely worth the price incrase over the 750 in my opinion.

Bose A20, hands down. Not the head clamp of a Dave Clark, cheaper in the long term than hearing aids. I'm a big fan of Oregon Aero's hush kits for the DC's, works great lasts a long time. I wasn't happy with the Telex 850 over the ear design and ear plugs... The Bose works for me so much better than the other options... End of the day you have to ask yourself, what's your hearing worth?

Bose A20, hands down. Not the head clamp of a Dave Clark, cheaper in the long term than hearing aids. I'm a big fan of Oregon Aero's hush kits for the DC's, works great lasts a long time. I wasn't happy with the Telex 850 over the ear design and ear plugs... The Bose works for me so much better than the other options... End of the day you have to ask yourself, what's your hearing worth?
I second this. I swear by my Bose A20s and they offer interest free payments for 12 or 6 months if you want. 80 bucks a month for a year to get those babies is worth it IMO. Protect your hearing no matter what.

I definitely wouldn't get the single side 750, but it might be okay if you just fly domestic. When I we go to some place like Incheon or Karachi, I need all the clarity and isolation I can get to understand the controllers reliably. I also appreciate the 850 when trying to use HF radios. In these cases I wear both sides of the headset over my ears and just listen a little more carefully if I see the other pilot talking. The rest of the time, the 850 is perfectly comfortable with one pad behind the ear. The 850 also has better earpads than the 750, it's some kind of synthetic pleather rather than the foam on the 750.

I actually went to a single-ear Plantronics MS50 with a custom ear mold...been working out very well. The lack of a second earpiece is mitigated by the sound clarity through the ear mold. Only rarely do I have to plug my left ear to understand a controller. Very good transmission clarity over HF too, which was a problem with the "community" Telex 750s. When I used those, I'd have to use the hand mic more often than not.

Yeah, I could see how a good in-ear setup would negate the need for two earpieces for sure. On OE, the check captain I was flying with had this headset called "T-Bones" which consisted of two earmold earpieces without a mic! Somehow the wearer's voice was transmitted via vibrations in the earpieces. It looked awesome but unfortunately the danish company that made them went out of business several years ago.

MS50 with double ear molds, absolutely love it in the snowcone RJ.

I wish I'd have done that in the ERJ rather than those DC headclamps. Oh well!

Actually, some days I wish we had a hot mic in the 767. I just flew with a guy who'd spent years as a flight engineer on a C141, and must have been deaf as a post. Didn't help that in order to understand the controllers with the community Telex 750s, he'd use both earpieces in the terminal area. That got real old real fast, especially because this is a quiet jet up front, and I'm not used to having to yell.

"Flaps 5."
"WHAT?!"
"FLAPS 5."
"Oh okay." *click*
*sigh*

Every. Time.

:)

Back