ERJ headsets

Dunno, I used a Lightspeed Twenty 3G in the Chieftain/99, and if I was still flying that type of equipment I'd be using a pair of Lightspeed Zulu's.

The ERJ is a different animal altogether, and in ear headsets make a lot of sense with it. But in a turboprop like the 99, I'd get the best ANR headset possible.

Good to know, I like the zulu, but just hate clamp style headsets especially with sunglasses. I currently use the David Clarks's with ear plugs and turn up the radios. Poor man's ANR, but it is very quiet. I'll have to just wait and try some stuff out after reading all the replies. Thanks for the heads up on the TSO Clarity Alofts guys.

From talking with the Train, the ERJ noise is far worse than that of a CRJ.

That being said, I recently ditched my Telex 500 ANR for the Plantronics MS50/T30-1 headset with a custom ear mold for my right ear from Westone. jtrain found a wonderful dual ear set-up from a smaller company that looks like it would work great, but I'm currently using a foam ear piece in my left ear, while the mold is in the right.

Lightest set-up I've ever dealt with, absolutely enjoyable to use and best of all - it's small and doesn't take up the room of the Telex 500 or any other huge headset.

How do you like the custom ear piece compared to the foam one? Also, just looking at that headset, does it only plug in with one plug? Lastly can you hear that god-awful clicking the standby attitude indicator makes on our older aircraft, or does the custom mold block that sound out?

How do you like the custom ear piece compared to the foam one? Also, just looking at that headset, does it only plug in with one plug? Lastly can you hear that god-awful clicking the standby attitude indicator makes on our older aircraft, or does the custom mold block that sound out?

The foam ear protection is just the standard ear protection that is available in the Chief Pilots' Office. Nothing more. It just provides protection to my left ear since I don't have a custom ear piece on that side, and I'm not going unprotected in that ear. So, should clear up the first question - sorry - should have been more clear.

The headset can come in a combination of connections. It can work with Airbus aircraft, but it is offered in multiple plug line-ups. If you do go that route, just make sure you buy the standard one - not the Airbus single plug.

In regards to the clicking sound, no, I can not hear it when I have the custom mold in and the foam hearing protection in on the other side.

I love it. The Westone custom mold (Style 19) comes with a sound bar that you can attach the headset on - and thus not worry about using the headband. Very lightweight and comfortable to wear on those 6 or 7 hour block days.

The foam ear protection is just the standard ear protection that is available in the Chief Pilots' Office. Nothing more. It just provides protection to my left ear since I don't have a custom ear piece on that side, and I'm not going unprotected in that ear. So, should clear up the first question - sorry - should have been more clear.

The headset can come in a combination of connections. It can work with Airbus aircraft, but it is offered in multiple plug line-ups. If you do go that route, just make sure you buy the standard one - not the Airbus single plug.

In regards to the clicking sound, no, I can not hear it when I have the custom mold in and the foam hearing protection in on the other side.

I love it. The Westone custom mold (Style 19) comes with a sound bar that you can attach the headset on - and thus not worry about using the headband. Very lightweight and comfortable to wear on those 6 or 7 hour block days.

Thanks!! I'll have to give that set-up a try.

The Plantronics headsets mic picks up lots of noise in the ERJ-I don't think I have ever seen anyone here use one. The voice tube seems to amplify the noise. The Telex 5x5 at least has a mic gain adjustment to turn down the sensitivity. That mic is a boom mic (as opposed to the Plantronics voice tube) and picks up less noise.

The Plantronics headsets mic picks up lots of noise in the ERJ-I don't think I have ever seen anyone here use one. The voice tube seems to amplify the noise. The Telex 5x5 at least has a mic gain adjustment to turn down the sensitivity. That mic is a boom mic (as opposed to the Plantronics voice tube) and picks up less noise.

Well, it would help if you knew the MS50/T30 also has a mic gain adjustment. :)

Yeh, I'm not too concerned with TSO'd headsets..

Have you used them in a recip, light twin or turboprop?

I still fly the "little stuff" and would like to be able to use them in our planes as well as at work..

Yes I have used it in a 172 and it worked great. Wish I had used this through my flight school and CFI days. This is the best headset for the money hands down. The guy that makes them also has great customer support.

My modification involves getting the Comply Foam inserts (same as the Clarity Aloft) and these adapters to connect the silicone sound tube to the threaded Comply eartips:

http://www.lloydhearingaid.com/shopping/accessories/canaltipadapters.asp

They also sell the Comply eartips:

http://www.lloydhearingaid.com/shopping/accessories/canaltips.asp

You want the standard style 0 tips.

I'm curious what the reasoning is behind getting the Halo then modifying it to be more like the Clarity Aloft? Why not just get the Clarity from the get go?

I'm asking because I'm considering switching to one of these. I'm leaning towards the Clarity Aloft at this point, but am certainly open to hear opinions.

Steve, I'm also looking to pick up one of them. From what I've seen, everyone loves the Clarity Aloft, and I have a few complaints about the Halo (not many though). I'm guessing the Halo's main advantage is the $$...its either $200 or $150 cheaper IIRC

I modifed my Halo because it was about $240 cheaper and I already had it. I also don't like the Clarity Aloft construction, where the cable leaves the headband at the rear. Makes it a real pain to lean back in the headrest. As for their TSO version, see above. It's comfortable but has issues.

I also don't like how the CA has the actual earphone units in your ear-more than once I've dropped my Halo or snagged it on something and ripped the sound tube right off. Since it's silicone tubing on the Halo it just goes right back on, but if it had been a CA it would have cut the wire and been damaged.

Yes I have used it in a 172 and it worked great. Wish I had used this through my flight school and CFI days. This is the best headset for the money hands down. The guy that makes them also has great customer support.

Hmmm I am interested in this headset now. I don't mind jam packing my ears I just don't want to be deaf in 20 years, and the david clamps I have now are getting tiresome. My only question is the CAs have a audio jack for your phone or ipod where the volume knob is, do these have a jack?

Hmmm I am interested in this headset now. I don't mind jam packing my ears I just don't want to be deaf in 20 years, and the david clamps I have now are getting tiresome. My only question is the CAs have a audio jack for your phone or ipod where the volume knob is, do these have a jack?

I'm fairly sure they don't. Someone correct me if Im wrong

No, they don't have any audio inputs. Just a plain headset, but a good one.

When I flight instructed, I had the fading problem with my DCs and I found that twisting the mic to the other side, fixed the problem in flight. This may not be possible with other DC models. I still have the same DCs 9 years later (they are 13 years old now) with the same mic and don't have the fading problem anymore, which is probably because I don't talk so darn much.

So luckily I never bought anything for the ERJ. Does anyone have recommendations for Boeings, particularly the 747-400? I can't seem to decide if I could tolerate some in-ear styles like the clarity aloft. I have some headphones like that, but usually find them uncomfortable if left in for more than 2 hours. I will probably just get some telex 850's and push the left earphone off to the side when I need to talk to the other crewmembers. I've never really worn anything other than david clarks up to now. I guess I could even spring for some Telex 5x5's with custom earmolds.

So luckily I never bought anything for the ERJ. Does anyone have recommendations for Boeings, particularly the 747-400? I can't seem to decide if I could tolerate some in-ear styles like the clarity aloft. I have some headphones like that, but usually find them uncomfortable if left in for more than 2 hours. I will probably just get some telex 850's and push the left earphone off to the side when I need to talk to the other crewmembers. I've never really worn anything other than david clarks up to now. I guess I could even spring for some Telex 5x5's with custom earmolds.

I have a Telex 5X5 with a single custom earmold. Most guys wear the Telex 750s provided (some even wear ear plugs with them).

Give it a month after OE.

Back