Destined for greatness

ghostjet

Here it is folks, the opportunity you've been waiting for:

https://greatlakesairlines-openhire...380&level=levelid1&levelid1=36313&startflag=2

That's right! The elusive and mercurial PART TIME Dispatching gig at Great Lakes Airlines. Many thought it was just a myth, a drunken yarn spun at seedy mountain taverns, an aviation legend buried deep in the stacks with desert sky UFO sightings and Bermuda Triangle anecdotes. Nope. It's real as rain and probably wont last long.

So, if you thrive on an irregular, unpredictable schedule and only need about $185 a week to live, you better get your paperwork over to the Cowboy State ASAP. You're welcome.

"If you cant do great things do small things in a great way."
~Dispatcher sleeping behind a cigarette vending machine at Cheyenne bus station

Who on earth would ever put in for this. Reminds me of Republic's tactic a few years ago of wanting to interview people to put in a dispatch "hiring pool" for jobs at some later date with no promise of when that offer might be, or if it would come at all.

Also, I see they still have that wonderful black text on dark blue background on their web page. Great choice, guys. I can't think of a more difficult to read web corporate website.

Last edited:
It's experience, but you can do better probably everywhere else

Yeah I realize that and would greatly prefer starting at a regional like skywest but at this point I just want some experience under my belt, even if it means jumping ship to another regional after six months.

Yeah I realize that and would greatly prefer starting at a regional like skywest but at this point I just want some experience under my belt, even if it means jumping ship to another regional after six months.
Good luck then. I hope it works out.

Athlaka said:

If you want inside info, shoot me your info in a PM. I can put you in touch with someone who worked there recently.

Hey, just look at the Director of Dispatch for Republic Holdings - 6 months of dispatching 1900's and whamo - the next thing you know, you are a director. (That is the extent of his dispatching career, he then moved into management and you can figure out the rest.)

I'm going to put in for it. Dx experience is dx experience, right?

I would not ever work for an employer that valued my position so little that they offered it to people as a part time job. Plus, I assume you want to make enough money to survive off of, and have benefits. That's enough of a challenge on a starting dispatch salary full time, let alone part time. And most part time jobs don't have benefits like medical insurance. I wonder if that's why they are making it part-time, to save money by not having benefits. Anyhow, seriously, I would look ANYWHERE else, including outside of aviation, before taking this job.

umm-no-ru-paul-gif.gif

Looks like the listing is no longer up. I hope that's because they couldn't find anyone desperate enough to take the job but who knows, maybe someone got hired for it. If that is the case, I wish them the best of luck getting a full-time dispatch position soon, at another airline! This one has been going downhill for years.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::rolleyes::oops:
Looks like the listing is no longer up. I hope that's because they couldn't find anyone desperate enough to take the job but who knows, maybe someone got hired for it. If that is the case, I wish them the best of luck getting a full-time dispatch position soon, at another airline! This one has been going downhill for years.
Careful, the hall monitors are gonna get ya. Don'tcha know any experience is good experience, regardless of how crappy the job is. Anyone that works there will look back one day and think of all the lessons learned and how it helped them progress in their career.

I took a pass this time :)

Careful, the hall monitors are gonna get ya. Don'tcha know any experience is good experience, regardless of how crappy the job is. Anyone that works there will look back one day and think of all the lessons learned and how it helped them progress in their career.

Well, anyone who follows the industry should know all the struggles GLA has had in recent years. I'm honestly kind of surprised they are still flying. Guess those EAS subsidies must be pretty sweet! If you look at their stock price over the years though that should give you a clue - right now it's trading at seven cents per share. As far as experience goes - this is probably the least valuable kind of dispatch experience you can get, since part of their operation is 135, none of it is on jet aircraft, and the position is (or was) part-time. I realize you're being sarcastic, but PSA dispatch looks like heaven compared to this outfit....and I'm not saying that PSA is a great job, but rather that this looks like a truly horrible one.

CPZ9900 said:

I can see this sentiment, but part-time dispatch can be seen as end-running the profession.

Back