Did Great Lakes get 135 approval?

I also learned not to check a bag to Denver, when the sign at the carousel said " If your luggage hasn't arrived in three and a half hours, please see us at the Great Lakes ticket counter."
LOL! Wow...
Actually, when my airport was served by both GLA and Mesa 1900-Ds (as US Airways Express), Mesa was the worse performer, by a country mile. And I was a Mesa stockholder at the time!
Probably the only time GLA would have been the airline of choice for anyone would have been in that YV/ZK B1900 lose/lose situation.

In their heyday, the mighty Beech 1900s were the baby airliner of choice. They replaced the Beech 99s, which were not pressurized. Beech made 439 of the 1900-Ds (out of 695 - all versions). PT-6 propulsion and standing headroom (Ds only) - except over the wing spar. It beat the competition: Swearingen Metros were tougher to fly, had maintenance issues and had so little headroom that you damn near had to enter kneeling. The BAE Jetstream 31s were pressurized, but had a reputation as hangar queens. Both used Garrett propulsion. The Embraer 110 Bandierantes were nice enough, used P&W/Canada PT-6s, but had cozy seating. Theoretically 1x2, but the '2' side was really wide enough for three cheeks only. Later ones were pressurized. Replaced by the larger EMB-120 Brasilias, some still flying for Skywest and GLA.

GLA has only had one fatal accident, a B-1900-C that burned up following a runway collision at Quincy Regional in Illinois back in 1996. The King Air was taking off on an intersecting runway as the United Express GLA flight landed. NTSB said the King Air was at fault. All 14 perished on both A/C.

Ya. Read this. They made him go to the interview on HIS dime just to tell him he's not old enough.
That's on him though, he should have already known that he wasn't old enough to get hired, plus they state right from the get go that you have to get their on your own dime! Though it seems as thought GLA has been interviewing people with low time ahead of their bid to fly 135 in order to have a pool of candidates, so that might be why they invited him to interview. I've done airline hiring before when I was at Comair and, if you didn't meet the minimum qualifications for the position you got weeded out right off the bat.

If you get hired at a flight school that pays you less than $16 an hour, run away. If there is an AIRLINE that is offering to pay you $16 an hour, run away. Far, far away... If you've spent the time, energy, and money to become a professional pilot then make sure you only accept a professional's wage.

I'll bet $10 that GLA's first Part 135 class gets immediately furloughed upon graduation.

I don't read much into GLA's issues but if they claim pilot shortage, then they should be desperate for pilots. If they're turning experienced pilots will to fly for low wages (according to second hand RUMORS), then I guess they're not desperate for pilots. IF 2nd hand rumors are true regarding being turned down due to being either too young, or having too much experience. Then so be it. Two sides to every story.

#JustSaying

People love a good witch hunt.

Folks have heard how desperate GLA is, so the thought is they need me, i'll pay my way to go interview, I'll act like they need me and i don't need them. Its GLA it'll be an easy interview, as easy as grabbing candy from a baby. THEN BE SUPRISED when they dont hire you.

Folks need to remember when you step foot in the interviewers door you STEP foot in their door, not the other way around. You need to want that job or act like it! Never go in with the mindset that your doing them a favor my showing up. They don't have simpathy for you. Its not their job to have simpathy, its their job to try and make money.

I personally don't have simpathy for anyone with experience selling themselves and this demanding profession for dirt cheap to the lowest bidder. Crack user on their knees giving up their precious goods.

#JustSaying

Folks need to remember when you step foot in the interviewers door you STEP foot in their door, not the other way around. You need to want that job or act like it! Never go in with the mindset that your doing them a favor my showing up. They don't have simpathy for you. Its not their job to have simpathy, its their job to try and make money.

I personally don't have simpathy for anyone with experience selling themselves and this demanding profession for dirt cheap to the lowest bidder. Crack to me.

These paragraphs seem to contradict each other.

That's on him though, he should have already known that he wasn't old enough to get hired, plus they state right from the get go that you have to get their on your own dime! Though it seems as thought GLA has been interviewing people with low time ahead of their bid to fly 135 in order to have a pool of candidates, so that might be why they invited him to interview. I've done airline hiring before when I was at Comair and, if you didn't meet the minimum qualifications for the position you got weeded out right off the bat.
Getting there on his own is certainly on him.

However, explain to me how his age is his fault? Their minimums are clearly under 121 minimums so their intentions were to hire him for 135. 135 does not require age 21. And on their job posting it DOES NOT list an age requirement.

Furthermore, the application asks for a birthdate. So, they clearly knew his age BEFORE inviting him to an interview. And even more compelling is the fact that they interviewed him completely and EVEN DISCUSSED HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE TO UPGRADE DUE TO HIS AGE! Then sent him home with the notion that they would call and let him know. After awhile, they called and said he was too young and company policy was 21.

He did everything he should have done. The kids only mistake was wasting time on such a shady operation.

Didnt't he say, somewhere on the interwebs, he was only going to the interview for the practice?

So, since we know things are not as anonymous as some would like on the good ol' webs, and this applicant included his age and all when posting about applying and his intent when attending the interview, seems possible GLA gave him exactly what he wanted.....

#justsaying

Didnt't he say, somewhere on the interwebs, he was only going to the interview for the practice?

So, since we know things are not as anonymous as some would like on the good ol' webs, and this applicant included his age and all when posting about applying and his intent when attending the interview, seems possible GLA gave him exactly what he wanted.....

#justsaying

You shouldn't be invited to interview if you don't meet regulatory minimums, PERIOD.

He did everything he should have done. The kids only mistake was wasting time on such a shady operation.

Didnt know you were sitting next to the kid during his interview.

In the age of internet/forums there are two sides to every story.

The kid can't be mad at the results neither should you. He knew where he was going, he took the interview for "experience" who knows what he told them while interviewing. We were not there, they decided not to hire him for one reason or another. Granted its GLA, but they reserve the right to not take him. If the kid feels wronged let him sue. He knew what he was getting into.

No simpathy. He had plenty warnings from JC'ers

#justsaying

Ding Ding Ding!

EXACTLY!

You shouldn't be invited to interview if you don't meet regulatory minimums, PERIOD.
What are the regulatory age minimums for a part 135 SIC? Reading 14 CFR 135.245 I keep missing the age requirement.

I am not trying to be argumentative here, but I just think maybe with the vitriol spewed about around here a little reality is in order. $1500. a month is actually better than most any CFI, considering also the lack of benefits offered by most employers. Some people don't have the money or interest to be a CFI, or for that matter move and teach ESL in the Arizona heat dodging archers and seminoles in an overcrowded practice area.

We really dont know what motivated Great Lakes to call him, I agree the company should not interview someone they have no intention of hiring, however someone may really have gone to bat for him, arguing for an exception to policy, or maybe just figured he was looking for interview experience. They could be thinking he'll be ready when the 135 cert comes in, if it does, and plan on calling him back.

Bottom line is each one of us has their own bottom line.

I can't wrap my head around the ire displayed against Great Lakes, particularly by a bunch of people who have never worked or had contact with them. It seems a crazy witch hunt group think where the elders whip up a fervor of hate to the point of reaction without reason. Come on guys, it is a company, it hasn't shot my dog, keyed my car, called my Mom names. It employs pilots, our brothers and sisters in a tough profession where early professional development leaves us sometimes with nothing but faustian bargains. I really dont think Lakes is one of them...

Last edited:
Didnt know you were sitting next to the kid during his interview.

In the age of internet/forums there are two sides to every story.

The kid can't be mad at the results neither should you. He knew where he was going, he took the interview for "experience" who knows what he told them while interviewing. We were not there, they decided not to hire him for one reason or another. Granted its GLA, but they reserve the right to not take him. If the kid feels wronged let him sue. He knew what he was getting into.

No simpathy. He had plenty warnings from JC'ers
I'm not at all mad for him. And I'm not at all implying that he did excellent in the interview. I am however, saying that Great Lakes did a really f'ed up thing by inviting someone to an interview that doesn't meet their quals.

And you're right...he had warnings from jc'ers before going. So why are those same jc'ers not agreeing that lakes is shady for inviting someone that doesn't qualify?

This site amazes me. I was once considering Great Lakes and I argued with people about the pros and cons. Everyone hated on lakes. So I decided to take the advise and not go. Then when I start talking down on lakes for screwing a kid over...sudden I'm being too harsh and it's the kids fault?

There's not as much support on this site as people like to act like they offer.

Back