Considering training, seeking advice.

av8r

Hey guys. For the past 3-5 years I've been tossing around the idea of going to Aviation Mechanic School here in the local area (Washington State). The biggest question in my mind is, do I have what it takes? I know that most would say that it requires a high level of mechanical ability (among other things). I didn't grow up around people who worked on cars or who could teach me anything, nor have I had the tools to do so. So bascially, all I have is a love for airplanes and a desire to work in the aviation industry. I love anything aviation related, I'm interested in learn more about how airplanes work (and know the basics of flight) and want to do ANYTHING to work in, on, or around them. But....is that enough to make it through mechanic school and land a job? My goal isn't to make it to the majors but I would love to work for a local FBO or something along that line. Don't need to make a ton of $$ to make myself happy. So, I'm just curious to know what you would say to someone who has a huge interest in aviation and airplanes but who hasn't had the ability to test my skills to know if it's the job for me.

Thanks for reading this. I look forward to reading your responses. :)

But....is that enough to make it through mechanic school and land a job?
In my opinion, having a mechanical background helps, but it isn't a requirement. There's probably no way to tell if you are good at it until you actually get in school and start working on things.
Don't need to make a ton of $$ to make myself happy.
That's good, because you aren't likely to get it by working on airplanes.

Back