Considering CTI

Must be gettin a private in a mojave-

You gotta look for the cheaper rentals....

TRY THIS

I was in Cabo San Lucas,Mexico for spring break back in March, and I remember seeing these power gliders all over the place. Even I'm too chicken to ride in one of those.:crazy:

cabo-sky-tours-aerial_r2.jpg

Yea, i spent too much.
I went to a place flying new C172s (less than 7 years old, 180hp), for 145/hr or 155/hr with G1000 glass cockpit. Plus additional 20/hr fuel surcharge, plus 50/hr instructor rate.

That all adds up fast. But then again, I'm flying in the SF Bay Area, one of the more expensive areas in the country.

I just don't like the idea of flying in a 30 year old C152 with less horsepower than my car... heck, the plane was manufactured before I was born.
I'm now thorougly broke, but very happy that I have my license :buck:

That's about what they're charging around Atlanta too...its just crazy. I remember paying $20-22/hr for an instrument instructor 5 years ago, now everyone wants $50/hr.

Everyone has sold off their older aircraft or is just charging an arm and a leg for them too around here. After selling the 2nd house, I was looking at getting up to date again (I haven't flown since December 2003) and nearly had a heart attack when I saw how much they wanted to rent a 152!! The last flying club I was a member of had them for $47/hr wet, the "club" (it is part of one of the schools there) at the airport close to me now wants $82/hr PLUS a 7% fuel surcharge! That's what I used to pay for an IFR equipped 172!!! My rough math says they're making a tidy profit or paying out the ass for ramp and building space at the airport charging that much money. Even with the price of fuel what it is, it shouldn't cost more than $40-45/hr to put a 150 in the air. Sheesh!!

I might still do it just to be able to put around here and there, but finishing my instrument ticket is definitely on the back burner for quite a while, particularly if I end up getting hired for ATC.

out where im taking lessons its were flying 2005 cherokee 160 with garmin 430. cost is 110 an hour with instructor. 90 solo. includes fuel

That's a little more reasonable. $20/hr for an instructor isn't bad. I don't know where these places get off charging $50/hr, particularly since most CFI's don't see more than about $14-15/hr of that themselves.

At the flying club I used to be a member of, the CFIs were really just contractors and paid the club a small fee for being associated with them (though all of them were club members themselves). Any instruction you did, you paid the club for the airplane and then wrote the instructor a separate check for his time.

That's a little more reasonable. $20/hr for an instructor isn't bad. I don't know where these places get off charging $50/hr, particularly since most CFI's don't see more than about $14-15/hr of that themselves.

At the flying club I used to be a member of, the CFIs were really just contractors and paid the club a small fee for being associated with them (though all of them were club members themselves). Any instruction you did, you paid the club for the airplane and then wrote the instructor a separate check for his time.

Same as my place. I cut the CFI a check directly.... so he's pocketing 50/hr! (That's some damn-good money, don't you think!?)
I did a block rate in $1000 increments so he lowered it to 45/hr, but still!

Other instructors at my place are charging 55/hr or more... I think that's standard in Cali.

It is, even in a Apple Valley (A little desert community and the 152/172 are at least 20 years old) they are charging around $90/hr dry, plus $40/hr instructor, outrageous!

So, I just toured Lewis University in Romeoville, Illinois yesterday. It seems like a nice school. Has anyone from here attended there?

Back