Considering CTI

You have to remember that must people who went CTI or are just finishing up CTI start between 2002-2004 when CTI WAS THE ONLY WAY TO GET HIRED!!! Yeah it's expensive but in this day and age you need a college degree to get anywhere.

If you truely want OTS be ready to wait three times a long as a CTI and gamble whether or not the FAA will still hire OTS.

CTI here, and I have to agree with every one here, there is no real advantage to getting the CTI right now.

I started my CTI program as a Minor to an Aerospace Engineering Program back before they hinted at any OTS offers, now the only reason I am still finishing my CTI is because my scholarship payements depend and on me being a full time student and I do not have enouph credits remaining in my degreee to carry a full load with outthe CTI classes.

However, if you want my honest opinion, look at the CTI program at your school, and see if they offer seperate classes that deal with the rules, procedures and regulations pertaining to ATC, those will help A LOT when you get to OKC for basics. They are usually the first 1 or 2 classes offered in the line of CTI classes.

Last of all, don't be worried about missing the "Hiring Crunch". There will always be open spots for qualified applicants.

Totally disagree. ATC hiring is cyclical. If it wasn't we wouldn't be having the mass hirings right now. Did you know the FAA had a virtual hiring freeze from 1992-2004?

Plus, getting hired earlier means having higher seniority earlier. But then again some poeple may want Tue, Wed off for the next 20 years...:rolleyes:

Apply OTS while you have nothing to lose.

HD

You could always go to the military. I think they have this thing where you can decline joining if they don't give you ATC. Plus they have great benefits, and you'll have preference points when you get out. And when you do get out, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a position with the FAA as a civilian. Something to think about...

CTI grad here. I actually really enjoyed the CTI curriculim. I really believe that the courses at ERAU prepare you for OKC and training at your facility. Especially if you are choosen as an Enroute route controller. At the academy non-radar is the first course for Enroute controllers. They specifically make it the first course because they want to see if you can pass it; if you dont pass they send you home. I am friends with a controller at my facility and he says that some of the OTS coming in are completly clueless to aviation and ATC and are washing out of the facilities. They already sent 3 packing this year at my facility. If you have no aviation experience I would def recommend the CTI especially at ERAU. Although it is expensive you are getting a top notch aviation course load.

Thank you for all the advice. I am leaning towards enrolling in the CTI program. I am pretty clueless to aviation, most of what I know I've learned on this board. I am thinking it may help me get used to the whole area of aviation and ATC. I will still apply to the OTS openings, but ATC is what I want to do so I think I will try and secure it more by going CTI.
I want a degree in something, since I already have my associates degree. I have no idea yet how much the school by me will cost. That may change my whole plan!

It cost me about 75,000 at Riddle and thats on the cheap side. You might also want to fly that's what I did. I earned my private pilots license there and the Panel who does the hiring love individuals who have a pilots license. If you don't even go to a cti school just at least try and get your pilots license its really easy, fun, and a lot cheaper than CTI:rawk:

I am one of the Lucky people that is going to a Community College that has a CTI program (Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut) however since I also have six years of full time work experience I applied OTS, and I have a TOL for NoCal TRACON now. I'll be honest with you, CTI is a great way to go if want to be very knowledgeable in ATC, but it is way to expensive ATM with the OTS hiring. And CTI doesn't promise you anything thing, a friend of mine who is a CTII and also went through the CTI program didn't get an ATC job in 1995 because of the lack of open spots. Reagan gave us the greatest gift we can have.

Anyways, all that aside, once you get into the FAA, if you ever want to transfer from your facility, the higher your education is, the higher your spot is on the bid, because it is done with a point system. Anyways, it is your call which way you want to go. I do better when I am getting paid to do something instead of paying to do something, so I like this OTS hiring :D

That is just me, and I may be :panic::panic::panic::panic:

Anyways, all that aside, once you get into the FAA, if you ever want to transfer from your facility, the higher your education is, the higher your spot is on the bid, because it is done with a point system.

So transfers are not done by seniority?
Your education level factors into any transfer approvals?

yeah I had the understanding that education wouldn't affect your bid for a transfer and that like everything else its based on senority. I've always heard education only plays a role if you want to move into management, besides the initial education/work requirements, but like everything else its all speculation I guess...

Lewis is a private school and is 21,000 a year. Have you thought about UND? It's 14,000 out of state and you'll get better aviation classes. I think Lewis only has about three classes total in their curriculum that involve atc, plus this will be it's first year for teaching atc.

Lewis is a private school and is 21,000 a year. Have you thought about UND? It's 14,000 out of state and you'll get better aviation classes. I think Lewis only has about three classes total in their curriculum that involve atc, plus this will be it's first year for teaching atc.
I don't care to move to North Dakota though. The reason I was going with Lewis was because it would be an hour drive over there.

I am a CTI grad. I went to Minneapolis for my schooling. It's just a year long and I also applied for the OTS jobs posted last summer. I covered all bases just in case the OTS jobs didn't workout. Well they didn't because I am about to graduate and will probably get hired through the CTI job first. But they are hiring so many OTS people right now that chances are pretty good of getting hired off the street. At the time for ME school was a way for me to know that there was no chance of me getting picked over and at the end of this I will have a job. I think it's all about taking your chances. Not everyone is getting hired instantly

hah, how did you like the minneapolis school? It's for center only, right? I met a lot of grads from the minneapolis school at Chicago center.

if I were in your seat I would apply ots. If you aren't ready then join the Military. You'll get paid, plus your time in counts towards retirement, and you can get the g I bill and get ur college paid for.

Go get a private pilot's license.
It's fun, and it exposes you to the other side of ATC (i.e., the guys you are actually going to be controlling)

Even spending 10-15k on an license is cheaper than 50+K on a college education that is not needed.
just curious, what kind of plane are you getting your private in that its costing you upwards of 15k??

just curious, what kind of plane are you getting your private in that its costing you upwards of 15k??

Must be gettin a private in a mojave-

You gotta look for the cheaper rentals....

TRY THIS

cc87.jpg

I wish I had gotten a copy of the bid form from my CTI instructor, because it was like LOC (Letter of Commendation 1 pt) and a bunch of other controller related things that were all pt based, and then it was Associates degree 5 pts, Bachelors degree 10 pts, Masters degree 15 pts and Ph.D/M.D./J.D. or equivalent 30 pts. I mean right now the point system is almost pointless because of all the open spots I here it is like you want this bid take it. But this is all heresy, as I am not a ATCS yet.

Well, I am a CTI from Beaver County, and I've been out for a few months yet, and haven't really heard anything. They haven't done a CTI announcement that I've gotten hold of yet, so hey. I'll be patient.

The thing I really liked about Beaver is that they have a student-ran control tower. I actually have a CTO license for that tower when I graduated. I did simulations and everything of the sort, but I also actually worked the tower, day in, day out. That was pretty neat.

But they're right... You can get hired OTS, and that'd definitely be a lot cheaper.

Yea, i spent too much.
I went to a place flying new C172s (less than 7 years old, 180hp), for 145/hr or 155/hr with G1000 glass cockpit. Plus additional 20/hr fuel surcharge, plus 50/hr instructor rate.

That all adds up fast. But then again, I'm flying in the SF Bay Area, one of the more expensive areas in the country.

I just don't like the idea of flying in a 30 year old C152 with less horsepower than my car... heck, the plane was manufactured before I was born.
I'm now thorougly broke, but very happy that I have my license :buck:

Back