Congress Is Trying To Revoke Tsa Badges And Officer Title

I miss getting coffee in the jetway and being with friends and family at the gate while waiting. I would like to trade TSA security for some balls and more Freedom :) .
Amazing how fast a country will give up there freedom for security. Fire the TSA and grow a pair , and trash the patriot act thats cost billons per year.

Whatever they come up with, it will be the same pig with a different shade of lipstick.

I don't like them any more than anyone else, and I'd cheer if they did away with the whole idiot menagerie tomorrow, but "stripping" them of their already-meaningless badges and uniforms just seems like a way to A) Antagonize them for no reason at all and B) Make it look like you're improving the system when you're not.

Badges go away and well, nothing changes.

If the Air Force lobbied to airline pilots to no longer be able to wear epaulets or gilded accouterment like wings, would our jobs change? Not one bit.

The badges need to be cancelled and destroyed after the amount these fools loose. It would never be tolerated in any other leo branch. Let the private contracts do the job. They can't do any worse and at least the really bad ones would get fired.

The biggest problem with the TSA was their creation at all. The whole creation of the agency was a kneejerk reaction to make the American people think *something* was being done to enhance airport security post-9/11. Much like the National Guard posted at the airports with empty M-16s. As it was, airport security did not fail on 9/11. The private security firms paid for by the airlines on 9/11 and before did not fail in their duties. The 9/11 hijackers got through security fine with items that, at the time, were fully allowed to be brought onboard. The 9/11 hijackers simply used some imagination and original planning with their weaponry consisting of legal items to possess, combined with using our usual methods of dealing with domestic hijackings against us. It was brilliant planning on their end, not a failure on airport security's end. To this day, airport security was given a bad rap for 9/11 that they don't deserve. And the answer to please the people was to create one of many useless and bloated bureaucratic agencies to come, along with the "checking into prison" treatment of pax.

I still remember in 2002 when retired USMC General, WWII veteran, and South Dakota Governor Joe Foss was going through the TSA in KPHX, and the screeners tried to confiscate his Congressional Medal of Honor that was awarded to him by President Franklin Roosevelt and that he carried on his person to speaking engagements; claiming that it was a potential weapon in the airliner cabin. Sad part is that none of the TSA screeners knew what it really was. It took a Phoenix PD officer and AZ National Guard soldier on duty nearby who responded to the commotion, to identify what the medal actually was to the TSA personnel.

Here's a funny:

I once witnessed a man trying to conceal the fact that he was taking pictures of airport interior buildings. I was on an airport train and watched him continue to do this while I rode around most of the airport. He never got off. When I got off to report the activity, I took it straight to a TSA agent. What'd they tell me?

"Call 911."

So I did. I was given a regular local number to call. The person on the call obviously did not care. Waste of time, the lot of them.

Here's a funny:

I once witnessed a man trying to conceal the fact that he was taking pictures of airport interior buildings. I was on an airport train and watched him continue to do this while I rode around most of the airport. He never got off. When I got off to report the activity, I took it straight to a TSA agent. What'd they tell me?

"Call 911."

So I did. I was given a regular local number to call. The person on the call obviously did not care. Waste of time, the lot of them.

What's wrong with taking pictures of the inside of an airport? I'm surprised you would think this was a security threat and squeal to anybody. Unless he has rpg's on him, a suicide belt, or talking about locations to plant c4 then I'm pretty much leaving then alone.

What's wrong with taking pictures of the inside of an airport? I'm surprised you would think this was a security threat and squeal to anybody. Unless he has rpg's on him, a suicide belt, or talking about locations to plant c4 then I'm pretty much leaving then alone.

He was holding the camera in such a way to try to avoid seeming obvious. Like he was trying to conceal it. He appeared nervous, and his body language was shrunken. He was taking pictures of the interior buildings of the airport. Nothing scenic about them, really. Not looking *out* at the airplanes.. but inside the loop, towards dingy concrete buildings. This was not a plane spotter. He appeared to be an international traveler, but his bag didn't have a scuff on it. His clothes were fresh, clean, and without wrinkles. He didn't look road weary or anxious about where he was going or what time it was. In fact, he rode the train nearly all the way around the airport. Nobody pays that much attention to the dirty interior buildings of DFW. It was weird.

More than anything, I went with gut feeling. The guy seemed like the type who really didn't want people to ask what he was doing. So I tapped the TSA to do exactly that- investigate and ask what he was doing. The problem here wasn't necessarily my judgement- it was the TSA's total lack of action regarding a potential intelligence gathering operation.

He was holding the camera in such a way to try to avoid seeming obvious. Like he was trying to conceal it. He appeared nervous, and his body language was shrunken. He was taking pictures of the interior buildings of the airport. Nothing scenic about them, really. Not looking *out* at the airplanes.. but inside the loop, towards dingy concrete buildings. This was not a plane spotter. He appeared to be an international traveler, but his bag didn't have a scuff on it. His clothes were fresh, clean, and without wrinkles. He didn't look road weary or anxious about where he was going or what time it was. In fact, he rode the train nearly all the way around the airport. Nobody pays that much attention to the dirty interior buildings of DFW. It was weird.

More than anything, I went with gut feeling. The guy seemed like the type who really didn't want people to ask what he was doing. So I tapped the TSA to do exactly that- investigate and ask what he was doing. The problem here wasn't necessarily my judgement- it was the TSA's total lack of action regarding a potential intelligence gathering operation.

Maybe the guy was nervous because he was afraid that someone would have a kneejerk reaction to seeing him photographing the airport area and call in security? Especially being an international traveller and hearing the "stories" that come from photographers around airports, its only natural he'd be a little bit edgy. As far as photographing the terminal buildings, you have to remember that photography is ART, and as such, what one person finds artistic, another might find boring.

Fair enough, I wasn't there and I trust you made the correct decision.

I'm wondering if any 9L guys on here remember a ramper nicknamed "the heffer" from Hyannis- during a turn she told me to stop taking pictures of my Saab (I think I was flying with SmittyB that day!!!), due to local TSA regulations, and that I wasn't allowed to walk outside some sort of green lines when I was outside the footprint of my aircraft. Even had a TSA officer come and rant me out! She ended up calling Tom Brink on me: For Christmas that year I got a package from Manassas from Capt. Brink- a new camera with a note "keep doing what you're doing!" Memories!

I'm wondering if any 9L guys on here remember a ramper nicknamed "the heffer" from Hyannis- during a turn she told me to stop taking pictures of my Saab (I think I was flying with SmittyB that day!!!), due to local TSA regulations, and that I wasn't allowed to walk outside some sort of green lines when I was outside the footprint of my aircraft. Even had a TSA officer come and rant me out! She ended up calling Tom Brink on me: For Christmas that year I got a package from Manassas from Capt. Brink- a new camera with a note "keep doing what you're doing!" Memories!

You're dangerous!

Back