Congress Is Trying To Revoke Tsa Badges And Officer Title

Bandit_Driver

Gold Member
http://www.ajc.com/news/lawmaker-wants-to-strip-1255675.html#.TuNdj6HZz6o.email

Lawmaker wants to strip TSA officers of badges

By Christopher Seward
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
4:28 p.m. Friday, December 9, 2011
Airport screeners at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport and other airports around the country would be stripped of their police-like uniforms under a bill introduced in Congress.
If passed and signed by the president, the bill would prohibit TSA employees from using the title “officer” and wearing uniforms with badges unless they have received federal law enforcement training.

TSA screeners have long come under fire for what critics call heavy-handedness when it comes to searches of airline passengers as part of heightened security following the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Recently, two women in their 80s complained of being stripped-searched at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York. A Dallas woman traveling through Hartsfield-Jackson said TSA agents demanded to search her afro hair style for weapons in September.
The TSA said it has about 50,000 officers nationwide, including about 1,100 at Hartsfield-Jackson.
The lead sponsor of H.R. 3608, which has been referred to a House committee, is U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), who has more than two dozen fellow Republicans signing on to the bill, according to The Hill.com.

In a release, Blackburn said the TSA screeners have impersonated real law enforcement officers and some have committed crimes doing so. She cited instances in New Jersey and Virginia, including an alleged rape by a screener showing his TSA badge.
The lawmaker also complained about aggressive airport searches.
"Congress has sat idly by as the TSA strip-searches 85-year-old grandmothers in New York, pats down 3-year-olds in Chattanooga and checks colostomy bags for explosives in Orlando. Enough is enough!" Blackburn said in a release. "The least we can do is end this impersonation, which is an insult to real cops."

Jim Fotenos, the TSA spokesman, declined to comment on the House bill but defended the agency's officers in an email Friday to the AJC.

"While we do not comment on proposed legislation, TSA's frontline workforce protects the traveling public at airports across the country every day, and every day our officers stop deadly weapons from getting on aircraft," Fotenos ssaid in a statement.
The congresswoman said the TSA reclassified former "screeners" as "officers" in 2005 and changed their uniforms to resemble federal law enforcement officers.

In 2008, she said, metal badges similar to those worn by federal law officers were added to the uniforms. The TSA officers, however aren't required to take any law enforcement training nor do they have law enforcement benefits.

Fotenos said the TSA introduced uniforms to be "more reflective of the critical nature of their work." He also said the agency "maintains a close working relationship with law enforcement and reaches out to law enforcement partners to address potential criminal activity."
Blackburn said the TSA staffers are "officers" in name only.

I REALLY hope they do this!!!! As soon as I seen them give these morons a "real" badge I think I threw up a little in my mouth! These people have NO law Enforcement training at all, and IMO disrespect every Law Enforcement officer who has ever EARNED their Badge!
When I say "these morons" obviously I do not mean every single one of them, However I know personally the type of idiots they do hire (ex-family member), and I see these people daily as they walk around looking like they couldn't secure a paper bag, let alone an airport.

This should have been done a long time ago. They are nothing more than glorified security gaurds. If something happens that involves detainment, I'm not even sure they can lay a hand on you, let alone arrest you. If they need some kind of law enforcement done, they have to call real law enforcement.

It's low-hanging fruit for the masses just in time for the holiday season! Get rid of the TSA and replace them with another agency or contractor that....well....is just like the TSA.

The more undesirable the job becomes is the higher wages they'll attract to fill them.

Didn't they spend something to the tune of 11 million dollars (puts pinky to corner of mouth) several years back on those badges, shirts etc?

<edit>

By the end of the year, all 43,000 screeners should have the new uniforms, which cost a total of $12 million. But first they will have to complete two days of mandatory additional training, focused on how to "calm" the environment. They will be encouraged to use new wireless communication devices, so they won't have to shout at one another to come check some poor sap's bag. They will also participate in mock scenarios to learn how to defuse conflict.
nothing like 12 million down the drain....

They will be encouraged to use new wireless communication devices, so they won't have to shout at one another to come check some poor sap's bag.

So They'll be introduced to radios or walkie-talkies?

The article was from 01/08 and the pic on the article shows a lady with a mc d's drive thru style communicator. Or sham-wow. Yeh. Vince Shlomi style communicator.

I agree that this is a step in the right direction. It's time TSA left the police work to the airport police departments around the country comprised of trained sworn law enforcement officers, and focused on their job: screening. Maybe then their failure rate will go down, and pitot tubes everywhere will let out a collective sigh of relief.

I agree that this is a step in the right direction. It's time TSA left the police work to the airport police departments around the country comprised of trained sworn law enforcement officers, and focused on their job: screening. Maybe then their failure rate will go down, and pitot tubes everywhere will let out a collective sigh of relief.

That is an interesting perspective. Have local law enforcement officers do all airport security for that airport. It would probably cost less and have the TSA pay for it. That would be smart. I like the idea.

They may have badges, but are not considered law enforcement, unless they are actually police officers. They are only security, they can detain you, but not arrest you.

That is an interesting perspective. Have local law enforcement officers do all airport security for that airport. It would probably cost less and have the TSA pay for it. That would be smart. I like the idea.

Just to clarify, what I said is what's already in place, not a suggestion. Every major airport has some type of police presence, with sworn LEO trained officers, marked patrol cars (you've probably seen driving on the ramp or along the perimeter fences), K9 units, etc. Whether it's a dedicated airport police department (like LAWA PD at LAX, the Port of San Diego Harbor PD at SAN or the NY-NJ Port Authority Police Dept at JFK, LGA and EWR) or a sub-station of the local law enforcement agency (examples I am familiar with are San Francisco PD's station at SFO, Alameda County Sheriff's Dept patrols OAK, etc.), you get the idea. The point is there are armed, professional police officers with arrest powers patrolling the airport and dealing with the actual crime that goes on there.

TSA's job is to make sure people don't bring guns/knives/drugs/bombs/etc into the secure area of the terminal and potentially onto an airplane, by manning security checkpoints. If someone is discovered trying to bring something illegal through, it's airport police (AFAIK) that makes the arrest. (Recall the "Don't touch my junk!" guy was detained by TSA but the worst they could do was threaten him with a lawsuit for leaving.)

You do bring up an interesting point though. TSA is so busy trying to pretend they're a federal law enforcement agency and trying to do things outside the scope of their jurisdiction that they're not really doing their intended screening mission all that well. So if someone can do it better, kick out TSA and replace them. Whether that someone is a law enforcement agency or a private contractor, as long as there is a standardized training program I think the airport should go with whoever does the best job (i.e. finds the most decoy weapons - which the TSA had a 70% failure rate of doing back in 2005).

I don't mind the sewn on yellow patch variety of the badges, but when I see the actual metal badge on them it makes me want to punch someone.

Didn't they spend something to the tune of 11 million dollars (puts pinky to corner of mouth) several years back on those badges, shirts etc?

<edit>

nothing like 12 million down the drain....

The badges need to be cancelled and destroyed after the amount these fools loose. It would never be tolerated in any other leo branch. Let the private contracts do the job. They can't do any worse and at least the really bad ones would get fired.

The TSA is one of those topics that I actively try to AVOID discussing, simply because I have a hard time controlling my disgust and rage and once I get started it just compounds, and that's not good for my spirit!
The other topic is All American Fitness and Racquetball, but that's for another day!

Back