Congress Is Trying To Revoke Tsa Badges And Officer Title

Maybe the guy was nervous because he was afraid that someone would have a kneejerk reaction to seeing him photographing the airport area and call in security? Especially being an international traveller and hearing the "stories" that come from photographers around airports, its only natural he'd be a little bit edgy. As far as photographing the terminal buildings, you have to remember that photography is ART, and as such, what one person finds artistic, another might find boring.

Had a gate agent in JFK at the horse shoe yell at a 12 year old girl for taking pictures while waiting for the pink tag bags. When I asked the gate agent what the deal was, she responded "you can't take pictures here". I took the girl on back up the top of the RJ stairs to take photos away from the agent and told the gate agent to have her supervisor call me if there is a problem. A 12 year old taking pictures of taxiing and airplanes taking off or a shot of the cockpit is not a threat. I used to beg my dad to take me to the airport to take pictures of planes as a kid. If someone was taking pictures of doorways and security, I would raise the issue. Wish people could use common sense.

Maybe the guy was nervous because he was afraid that someone would have a kneejerk reaction to seeing him photographing the airport area and call in security? Especially being an international traveller and hearing the "stories" that come from photographers around airports, its only natural he'd be a little bit edgy. As far as photographing the terminal buildings, you have to remember that photography is ART, and as such, what one person finds artistic, another might find boring.
Hell, I have a badge and a uniform, and I worry about someone going "OMG EVILDOER" when I take a picture of an airplane.

(there is something dreadfully wrong with this picture, and it's not that I have a badge and a uniform... ;) )

Doug Taylor said:
Badges go away and well, nothing changes.

If the Air Force lobbied to airline pilots to no longer be able to wear epaulets or gilded accouterment like wings, would our jobs change? Not one bit.

True Doug, but the people will view them as more like a rentacop than a LEO. They will also lose the ability to play cop in and especially outside of the airport.

True Doug, but the people will view them as more like a rentacop than a LEO. They will also lose the ability to play cop in and especially outside of the airport.

I still can't believe they gave screeners real badges to begin with.... I'm betting most of them put them in their tri-fold wallets so everyone in the grocery line can see it.

It's only a "real" badge if you earn it! I've never spoken to anyone who would consider what that is as a "real" badge.

Ok.... got me on that one:p I meant metal badges..... I agree though, I retired after 30 year of combined Local and Federal LEO time. Last eight years as a Air Marshal.

We should completely disband the TSA... what "title" the "officers" have and what kind of decorations they wear really don't mean anything. Its a waste of time for congress to be writing such worthless legislation.

Find a local LEO and not TSA next time. I found an an abandoned bag a couple of weeks ago and notified the gate agent to call security....Who shows up, TSA...What they do OPEN IT...

I say privatize it and make the lowest bid win. If low bid can't keep things safe next bidder in line takes it.

I say privatize it and make the lowest bid win. If low bid can't keep things safe next bidder in line takes it.

Oh geez, I think Prospect is always the lowest bidder around airports.... can you imagine the legions of Prospect wheelchair pushers/aircraft cleaners now screening bags?

Oh geez, I think Prospect is always the lowest bidder around airports.... can you imagine the legions of Prospect wheelchair pushers/aircraft cleaners now screening bags?

Shouldn't be any worse than what is already in place. They miss signifigantly more than they catch.

Back