College student seeking career advice

powerlifter

Hello,

I'm a 21 year old a college student (debt-free, no kids, no wife, no PPL) who would like some career advice. In a year, I will have a computer science degree and an electrical engineering degree. Although these fields interest me, aviation has always seemed more appealing. However, due to parental influence and practicality, I never gave a career in aviation serious consideration, until now.

Anyone reading the Career Change forums will notice that the majority of career changers seem to be IT professionals. Naturally, this disturbs me. If I do not alter my course, will I suffer the same fate 10 years from now?

The travelling and long hours don't bother me, as long as the job remains interesting.

Here are a few questions:

1) Is it feasible for someone in my position to pursue a career in aviation? If so, should I fly part time while engineering, or just dive into debt and sink my teeth into flight school?

2) Do most pilots enjoy what they do?

3) Does aviation eventually become as boring as any desk job?

4) After flight school, how long would it take to earn a decent ($30-40k/year) wage?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Carl

1. Absolutely YES. I'd recommend part time as opposed to taking out the big loans.

2. Overall, yes, although certain aspects of airline flying might raise your BP (i.e. security 'encounters')

3. Boring as any desk job? I'd say no.

4. This all depends. You will have to find some way to gain time to apply to regional airlines. You could chose flight instruction, but that won't get you 30-40K a year. Once you get hired by a regional airline, like SkyWest, then you'll hit the 30-40K mark in your second year with the airline.

[ QUOTE ]
debt-free, no kids, no wife, no PPL

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you want to be a pilot you need to get the order right.

PPL,, , Kids, Debt, no Wife.
grin.gif

kidding of course

That was hilarious 'Eagle'!!!!!!!!!!

Powerlifter.......
From my personal experience I think that most career changers from I.T. into aviation, had a passion for flying before they were in their I.T. careers. You can very easily get burned out in I.T. and most just think "I'll fly" at that burn-out stage like I did. Then reality set in with bills and a family and I wanted to get back into I.T. Luckily, I had no problem getting back into that industry.
The passion wasn't lost, I just needed to pay bills, etc. and the income as a result of the career change didn't cut it.
All in all, I would suggest start training now before you get the bills, debt, family or you could save up alot to keep you afloat during those low-income periods.

I graduated from ERAU as an electrical engineer, and one of the things I have noticed is a lot of "the grass is always greener" syndrome amongst my pilot friends.

I have heard some of them say that they envied me, as I was travelling internationally while they visited the same Midwestern airports day after day. I had a set schedule, whereas they could never plan more than a few days in advance. They were often sharing apartments and eating ramen soup while I could afford to live comfortably on my own. They would often tire of flying to the same places and doing the same thing over and over again up in the cockpit.

Meanwhile, I sit in my cubicle and watch planes fly overhead from the local airports, suffer through the umpteenth peer review meeting, and try to force myself to stay awake through the monthly company mandated quality training program, all while imagining how much more fun it would be up there flying. I have to work for years to save up for a trip that they can go on at a moment's notice for next to nothing.

But, as for me, I love encountering difficult problems and solving them. I love taking an idea and watching it end up as a finished product. I found that I really enjoy engineering and decided I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Just have to think about what you are looking for in a career, and go for it.

Hello Carl:

Finish your degrees and start working as an engineer if possible. You don't have to go into IT. As a EE there are a lot of interesting fields you could work in - how about avionics design, and work in aviation as an engineer?

While working as an engineer, earn your ratings. You'll soon learn how the aviation industry works, and as you gain experience, can make an informed decision based on your desires. You are young and can go through the ratings fast. An engineers salary can keep you out of debt. The work experience will be invaluable.

Both pilots and engineers enjoy their jobs and do not like their jobs. Anyone who has worked at the same profession for 20 years will tire of it. There are some who never seem to tire, and they are lucky!

I failed to become a professional pilot, but suceeded in engineering. I instruct for fun, and still like to fly. I own a decathlon and a bonanza, and it has worked out fine for me.

Good luck to you!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
debt-free, no kids, no wife, no PPL

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you want to be a pilot you need to get the order right.

PPL,, , Kids, Debt, no Wife.
grin.gif

kidding of course

[/ QUOTE ]

He he he, that's so funny!

[ QUOTE ]
I instruct for fun, and still like to fly. I own a decathlon and a bonanza, and it has worked out fine for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have any pics of your planes?

matt

Back