College Degree

Jakes787

I had a question regarding college degrees. I am certain that I would like to go the dispatching route but I’m not sure what to do for college, something in meteorology. Would it be much harder to get a job after the 6 week program if I had no college at all? Would it help to try and get a ramp job at say WN after high school and not go to college at all until I turn 23 and can get the license? I’m just completely lost as to what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jake

I had a question regarding college degrees. I am certain that I would like to go the dispatching route but I’m not sure what to do for college, something in meteorology. Would it be much harder to get a job after the 6 week program if I had no college at all? Would it help to try and get a ramp job at say WN after high school and not go to college at all until I turn 23 and can get the license? I’m just completely lost as to what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jake

Get a degree, enjoy your college life, go to a school like IFOD or Sheffield after graduation then worry about how you will get to a career job.

Major in something you can use and get a job in outside of aviation. If you have the money or time, compliment a degree with a trade licensing outside of aviation such as plumbing or nursing. The idea being to give yourself as many options to support yourself if you get furloughed, take a long time to get your first job or if you find the career isn't for you.

Jake

I'd get a degree, but not necessarily something in aviation. Pick another area that you're interested in and can lead to a viable career path if needed. You can certainly minor/take classes in aviation/meteorology if your school offers them, but it's not a necessity. Unless you happen to go to a college that offers an approved dispatch course, get your dispatcher license after college like Flagship_dxer said above.

The biggest thing is keeping college costs down. My biggest regret is starting down the part 141 pilot training path in college and racking up 6 figures in student loans. After you figure out what major you want to pursue, get as many core classes as possible (that transfer to your college(s) of choice) done at a community college in your first year or two. Then finish your major at whichever college you choose. If there's an in-state school that offers relatively low tuition, go for all 4 years there if you want. I know lots of people value the whole college experience, and it is very valuable, but personally I don't think it's worth the cost of out-of-state tuition for four years.

If I had a do-over for my post-high school years, I'd choose to major in something like engineering (instead of aviation management) and get the core classes done at a local community college or in-state university. Then I'd finish the degree at a good (hopefully in-state) school and have that as a backup for dispatch. I also wish I'd done flight training through a part 61 school instead of paying for it as part of my degree.

The single biggest thing most high school graduates don't grasp is the weight of student loans. It's an abstract concept that doesn't become "real" until you start paying them. I'd very strongly recommend majoring in something you find interesting that can work as a career and do that major in a relatively inexpensive manner. Dispatch is a great career that comes with a low entry cost. There's no need to drive that cost up unnecessarily with an out-of-state major in aviation or meteorology unless that's something you really want to do. And even then, I'd caution against it.

Since it sounds like you have some time until you're 23, maybe try to build up some experience working the line at an airline/part 135 when time allows (either during the school year or over summer). Even better, ground handlers and airlines at many larger airports have operations jobs that allow you to work with weight/balance, weather, or ramp control. Get that experience if possible, but not at the expense of a degree. You'll have some time with both your age and the current state of the industry (significant hiring probably won't happen for a few years), so no need to rush anything. Having a 4 year degree with a relatively small debt load and hopefully some aviation experience will put you in a very good spot in a few years when things hopefully are looking up.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Jake
If you’re interested in business you could always get an Aviation Business Degree. Mine was probably 40% business classes, 50% aviation related including aviation specific business classes and 10% general studies.

I think it helps you get to a major sooner, how much is debated. Anecdotally, I was 26 when I got to a major so I encourage something in aviation or meteorology would be great as well. Also I work with several people who were military weather forecasters and ATC Controllers so that route is just as legitimate.

I'll give you another perspective. If it's dispatch you want to do, skip college. It's not worth $100k+ in debt, which will be incredibly difficult to pay back when you're at a regional. A degree isn't going to make or break your career, I know several people that went to the majors without a degree, and I know several regional dispatchers without a degree. It doesn't matter.

Continuing education does matter, and if you want to do something with meteorology check out the Penn State Undergraduate Certificate in Weather Forecasting. It's well suited for Dispatchers. ERAU also has online certificates you can earn through their World Wide campus. These are things that directly relate to the field and don't come with life crippling debt.

A back up plan is also a good idea as mentioned, but you still don't need college. There are a lot of great careers out there that don't require a college degree and make good money. Nursing, IT, HVAC, do some research. You might need to work on some sort of certification/ license depending on what you pick but it should also be affordable when compared to college.

I'd go for the degree in meteorology myself. It would be an excellent background for dispatching, but gives you options outside of aviation as well. I disagree that a degree isn't important. Sure, you could likely get hired as a dispatcher without one, but when trying to get a job at a major, there's lots of competition and you wouldn't want your resume to end up not getting selected for an interview because you don't have a degree. (I do work with people who don't have any college, so while it's definitely possible to make it to a major in dispatch without a degree I would say it's unusual.) I definitely would try and get some schooling between when you graduate high school and when you turn 23.

I know I was lucky enough to have grown up and gone to college in CA, and opted for a Community College and an AS in Av Management which cost be like $2500-3000 total. If you could do similar that has a heavy emphasis is business and either pickup a second Certificate or AS in Business that would be good as well. You don't need one to get into dispatching, but it can be helpful further down the line.

Just to kinda add to what everyone else is saying. You don't "need" a degree to be a dispatcher, but it is good to have one. However, it doesn't matter what that degree is in. I recommend something stable like STEM or Business degrees. Something to give you options outside of Aviation, because let's face it; aviation isn't exactly a stable career field. Especially not in the beginning of your career when you have little to no seniority.

Trust me when I say this though. Student loans SUCK!!!!! It's hard to picture it when you're young just how much they will hold you back in your future, but trust me, if you do this wrong, it will make your life unnecessarily difficult for 10+ years after graduating.

When searching for a degree that interest you, a good rule of thumb is that the cost to get the degree shouldn't cost more than the 1st year salary at an entry level position for that degree. Basically, if school is going to cost $50,000 to finish, an entry level position should have a starting salary of at least $50,000. That's not a perfect rule, but it's a good baseline. There is always exceptions to the rule, but it's just something to consider. You don't want to take $100k out in loans then start out making $35k a year. You can ask any regional dispatcher that went thru flight school just how much that situation is draining on your life after college. It's not worth it.

If possible, go to community college first. Do your prerequisites there. It will cost literally half as much, probably even more than half as much. Depending on your income level, FAFSA might pay for the whole thing. When it's all said and done and you get your bachelors degree. The degree doesn't say Local Community College on it. It will still be the exact same degree as the guy who spent 4 years at the university gets as it is for guy who spent 2 years. Your degree would've costed A LOT less though.

I went the meteorology degree route before coming into dispatch and I'm happy I did. I was lucky to have been able to intern with WN's meteorology team one semester before getting my licence at 23. College degree or several years of job experience, airlines will take both. If I recall correctly some airlines like AA do allow college degrees to be included in years of experience however it will be really competitive and you will still need to spend a couple years at a regional, with a regional wage paying off those student loans, to have a chance. THEORETICALLY it could take slightly longer to reach a major without a degree depending on other job experience. Although with the current aviation climate, who knows what hiring in a few years will look like.

Biggest thing the meteorology degree really helped me with is that 2 weeks of the 6 week dispatch course is meteorology based so while everyone was drinking from a fire hose I was able to take a nice sip from the garden hose, so to speak. Bare in mind It really isn't that great of a back up job. A good number of meteorology jobs want a masters degree to be competitive (National Weather Service) and entry level TV met jobs make regional pay look good. There are a few others but it's still fairly competitive industry. Don't get me wrong, I am really glad I went the meteorology degree route but that is partly because I managed to escape college with little loans, and through the internship in WN's NOC I decided to get my dispatch licence.

You can ask any regional dispatcher that went thru flight school just how much that situation is draining on your life after college. It's not worth it.

Agreed don't do it.

I agree with everyone on here. My two cents.. take a part time ramp/CSA type job while in school is a good idea. Offsets some cost of school while gaining airline experience and maybe get some internal hire status (depending on who you work for) when you're ready to apply for a dispatch position. Balancing school and work could be tough sometimes I would definitely recommend it. Ramp isnt for everyone but for a few years its not too bad. I don't regret my time there and have lots of great stories.

Avoid most aviation specific degree programs, especially ATC programs. You really need a backup plan if you want to work in aviation. This industry is very unstable..most of the people I work with have 3 or more prior airlines on their resume. Because of this instability, you want to be able to save as much money as you can throughout your career..not just for retirement but for any potential setbacks along the way such as job loss. Taking out a bunch of student loans is going to cripple you financially for a long time..so I suggest you do everything in your power to not take out loans. If that means working part time and paying your way through 2 years of community college before transferring to a public university, so be it. Make sure you get straight A's and apply for every single scholarship you qualify for. You'll sleep better at night knowing you won't have to be a slave to your debt.

Side note: Have you considered the military? If you're going to have to wait 5 years until you can get a dispatch license, you could be over and done with a 4 year enlistment in a highly technical aviation field, and have free college to boot afterwards. It's not for everyone, but it's a damn fine way to set yourself up for future success. PM me if you're interested in exploring that as an option.

I started my career as an enlisted aviator in the Air Force. I agree with dx8709, it is a good way to start out.

If you are going to college/tech school I would agree with the previous posters on training in a needed field. A lot of dispatchers are about to be furloughed with no backup plan. That is a really hard situation to be in.

I strongly suggest trying some type of administrative or patient transportation role in a hospital before even considering health care. I worked in a large Emergency department for 6 years and although I've considered RN/Physician's Assistant, it's not really something I could ever see myself doing long-term; there was never that spark for me. Just like some people love them some flight simulator or enjoy planespotting, but when put behind the actual controls of an aircraft it's a different story. All that to say, please don't do it just for the money or stability. It's possible to be a good dispatcher (and actually enjoy your job) while not really care for aviation in general, but in a front-line role dealing with not only patients but their friends and family members, doctors, management nurses and others, it takes more.

And the smells... Oh God the smells...

Avoid most aviation specific degree programs, especially ATC programs. You really need a backup plan if you want to work in aviation. This industry is very unstable..most of the people I work with have 3 or more prior airlines on their resume. Because of this instability, you want to be able to save as much money as you can throughout your career..not just for retirement but for any potential setbacks along the way such as job loss. Taking out a bunch of student loans is going to cripple you financially for a long time..so I suggest you do everything in your power to not take out loans. If that means working part time and paying your way through 2 years of community college before transferring to a public university, so be it. Make sure you get straight A's and apply for every single scholarship you qualify for. You'll sleep better at night knowing you won't have to be a slave to your debt.

Side note: Have you considered the military? If you're going to have to wait 5 years until you can get a dispatch license, you could be over and done with a 4 year enlistment in a highly technical aviation field, and have free college to boot afterwards. It's not for everyone, but it's a damn fine way to set yourself up for future success. PM me if you're interested in exploring that as an option.
So I worked for 4 dispatch offices in 2.5 years, (each better than the last so I wasn’t judged it was viewed as career progression) and not a single time did anyone ask for my college transcripts. I got straight B’s, straight A’s is for squares.

I have a degree in meteorology, it seems to give me a slight edge in applying for jobs. It's a great topic of discussion in interviews. However, if you plan on a backup career as a forecaster or with the NWS, you will 100% need a master's degree. There's not much of anything in atmospheric science or meteorology without a master's degree. If you're looking for any sort of degree you could fall back on, it seems like there are lots of opportunities to people with business majors. Meteorology with a BS, not so much.

Back