College Degree

Not anything that pays well with a business major unless you majored in accounting or finance. If I could do things over again I wouldn’t have wasted my hard earned doll hairs on a management degree. I would have 100% gone medical/dental. Sure it would have been multiple times more difficult, take much longer, and been more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

I'd get a degree, but not necessarily something in aviation. Pick another area that you're interested in and can lead to a viable career path if needed. You can certainly minor/take classes in aviation/meteorology if your school offers them, but it's not a necessity. Unless you happen to go to a college that offers an approved dispatch course, get your dispatcher license after college like Flagship_dxer said above.

The biggest thing is keeping college costs down. My biggest regret is starting down the part 141 pilot training path in college and racking up 6 figures in student loans. After you figure out what major you want to pursue, get as many core classes as possible (that transfer to your college(s) of choice) done at a community college in your first year or two. Then finish your major at whichever college you choose. If there's an in-state school that offers relatively low tuition, go for all 4 years there if you want. I know lots of people value the whole college experience, and it is very valuable, but personally I don't think it's worth the cost of out-of-state tuition for four years.

If I had a do-over for my post-high school years, I'd choose to major in something like engineering (instead of aviation management) and get the core classes done at a local community college or in-state university. Then I'd finish the degree at a good (hopefully in-state) school and have that as a backup for dispatch. I also wish I'd done flight training through a part 61 school instead of paying for it as part of my degree.

The single biggest thing most high school graduates don't grasp is the weight of student loans. It's an abstract concept that doesn't become "real" until you start paying them. I'd very strongly recommend majoring in something you find interesting that can work as a career and do that major in a relatively inexpensive manner. Dispatch is a great career that comes with a low entry cost. There's no need to drive that cost up unnecessarily with an out-of-state major in aviation or meteorology unless that's something you really want to do. And even then, I'd caution against it.

Since it sounds like you have some time until you're 23, maybe try to build up some experience working the line at an airline/part 135 when time allows (either during the school year or over summer). Even better, ground handlers and airlines at many larger airports have operations jobs that allow you to work with weight/balance, weather, or ramp control. Get that experience if possible, but not at the expense of a degree. You'll have some time with both your age and the current state of the industry (significant hiring probably won't happen for a few years), so no need to rush anything. Having a 4 year degree with a relatively small debt load and hopefully some aviation experience will put you in a very good spot in a few years when things hopefully are looking up.

Best of luck!
4ETOPS, if the OP attends community college, hopefully they'll have an articulation (i.e. transfer) agreement with the four year school he attends. That'll ensure that ALL the credits transfer.

Not anything that pays well with a business major unless you majored in accounting or finance. If I could do things over again I wouldn’t have wasted my hard earned doll hairs on a management degree. I would have 100% gone medical/dental. Sure it would have been multiple times more difficult, take much longer, and been more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.
Though for some people who end up learning dispatch isn’t for them once working in the industry. They may find an aviation business degree is a perfect fall back. I thought I’d make it as a dispatcher but it was nice to know if it wasn’t for me I could still find work in the industry doing something. I’m just saying it isn’t ALL bad and not worth it.

Back