CFI Renewal ??'s....8710

MusketeerMan

OK...I'm renewing my CFI right now through my student pass rate in the previous 2 years and am currently filling out my 8710. Do they need my hour totals as well? In part II, it also appears that nothing applies to this section. Do I fill out anything on the back other than signing it? From looking over it, it doesn't seem like anything else applies?

Also, I had 100% pass rate with my students, do I just bring in their names??

Thanks for any info.

Congrats on your pass rate!

You might as well fill in your times, that way if you lose your log book the FAA has a record.

There is no requirement to fill in your flight time for a CFI renewal. However, the FAA's recommendation is that you do so to provide an audit trail should you later lose your log book or other unforeseen circumstances occur.

Do not sign the back of the 8710-1.

There is no definitive answer to what documentation you should bring. It could range from a smile and an honest face to excruciating detail. My personal recommendation is to bring data that has your students' name, certificate number if you have it, the test for which they were recommended, and the date on which they took the test. If the inspector desires to check, they can use that level of detail to pull up the record of the practical test.

If you are renewing on activity and you hold an advanced or instrument ground instructor certificate, and you recommended ten students during the last 24 months, you can also request a gold seal for your flight instructor certificate. Just add GOLD SEAL at the top of the form where it says "other".

Here is the link to the guidance FAA Inspectors use when approving gold seal CFIs:

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=CB2C76B9FD5B9D218525734F00766661

You can prepare your application, including the gold seal using IACRA. However, it is still a good idea to also bring a paper 8710-1 to the FSDO.

One more item. Just to ensure you don’t have a frustrating experience, call ahead and ask the FSDO if you need to make an appointment.

OK...I'm renewing my CFI right now through my student pass rate in the previous 2 years and am currently filling out my 8710. Do they need my hour totals as well? In part II, it also appears that nothing applies to this section. Do I fill out anything on the back other than signing it? From looking over it, it doesn't seem like anything else applies?

Thanks for any info.

The Denver FSDO I went to, to renew my CFI certificate would not just take a note with the written names, and dates of completion, he said I needed a copy of the students 8710 of both sides, (with my signature on the back of it) and a copy of the students temporary certificate.

He also gave me a big speech on how "I" was supposed to keep a record of all my students (not just a note of it, but actual proof) and how my 141 school keeping the record is NOT sufficient.

I left and went to American flyers for the renewal

Thanks for any info.

The Denver FSDO I went to, to renew my CFI certificate would not just take a note with the written names, and dates of completion, he said I needed a copy of the students 8710 of both sides, (with my signature on the back of it) and a copy of the students temporary certificate.

He also gave me a big speech on how "I" was supposed to keep a record of all my students (not just a note of it, but actual proof) and how my 141 school keeping the record is NOT sufficient.

I left and went to American flyers for the renewal

Yuck, I hate dealing with teh FSDO. Something like that is asanine, in my opinion. When you make the appointment at the FSDO, they will tell you want they want. There are some crazy inspectors at the FSDOs.

Back