Captains! PLEASE preflight your jumpseats!

In three years of commuting I have run into this several times too. The gate agent is either too busy and craby to help or they are new and just don't have a clue. I can think of several times when the crew stepped in and got me on. In one case the crew, saved me from a uncomfortable night in the LAX crew lounge or the Hacienda. Another got me home for Christmas. I figure it's a karma thing and I'll be happy to take a delay bullet for a brother and get someone on because I've been on the other side too.

"Leave no pilot behind!" Great words to live by.
Indeed. Two observations:
(1) If you leave with extra payload capacity and someone (revenue, non-rev, doesn't matter) standing at the window, you might not be doing your job.
(2) I've never heard a word about a delay coded as "FN: UA-FC- FLIGHT OPS CREW PRE-DEPARTURE NORM CKLST."

As you're probably well aware, this really is one of those "be the Captain" things. In the time that the station has spent arguing with El Jefe about the actual payload capacity of the Brasilia (right, @ChasenSFO?) they could simply have marched the non-rev(s) - or extra revenue standbys, for that matter - down and blocked out on time. So yeah.

Here's my advice from all this as the former "go to" gate agent at my old shop for jumpseaters and non-revs alike. Most gate agents fit a personality, you need to know how to work with all of them if you don't want to get left behind.

It's true that a lot of gate agents out there just don't care, and they won't care. You can't get them to. These people usually don't travel, don't like people, and are very jaded since they get treated worse than other gate agents thanks to their attitudes. I actually worked with one guy who's favorite part was denying people boarding, he would get as gitty as a 5 year-old with an X-mas gift when we had an oversale or weight restriction. He also purposely sent down multiple jumpseaters to full flights and non-revs to non-existent seats just to yank them off the plane and give them false hope. He would even show up to flights he wasn't working and beg to be able to ruin the people's days, I used to let him until I saw the way he talked to passengers which made me sick to my stomach. I hated him, and I'm sure there's at least one of him at every hub. If you run into one of these people, you need to find another agent or a supervisor as they will sooner leave you behind then admit their fault. The same goes with gate agents who tell you they "don't have time" to get you on if you're listed and at the gate or show up before boarding, which is BS trust me, or agents who don't know the system but tell you they "don't know" in a dismissive tone rather than offering a solution. Even if they offer a solution, they may quickly run out of time if they appear to be slow, and you'll be left behind regardless.

If you run into any of those types of agents, I strongly advise that you go to another gate rather than getting a supervisor. Get to know the gate agents that will open up to you, especially any that want careers in aviation as they're likely to relate to you and want to take care of you. Look for those agents, if they appear to have down time and aren't working your flight, they're likely to help you if a difficult agent is being a jerk as far as listing, checking loads, or switching flights goes. Even if they're busy, they could point you to someone they know is cool and will help. If you don't know any of the agents, look for one that you see smiling and laughing with pax. The bad agents tend to look stressed out or have resting bitch face, though anyone can get stressed with that gig.

Last advice is never lose your cool. Even if you get the worst gate agent in the world, be the bigger person, and report it. Then it's all on them. It's important to know that even since I left customer service in 2011, most airlines have come up with waaaaay more through audits which makes it hard if not impossible for agents to hook up non-revs the way they used to. I would have been fired many times over using United's current reservations system. Keep that in mind when you're asking for favors even from the nicest agents.

I actually worked with one guy who's favorite part was denying people boarding, he would get as gitty as a 5 year-old with an X-mas gift when we had an oversale or weight restriction. He also purposely sent down multiple jumpseaters to full flights and non-revs to non-existent seats just to yank them off the plane and give them false hope. He would even show up to flights he wasn't working and beg to be able to ruin the people's days, I used to let him until I saw the way he talked to passengers which made me sick to my stomach. I hated him, and I'm sure there's at least one of him at every hub.

Classic non-violent, run of the mill sociopath. Enjoys power and control of others. Displays complete lack of empathy for others.

And had a gay-crush on me so always requested that we work together, which my manager and good friend loved to apporve just to piss me off. :(

The guy sounds all kind of messed up. Wonder what happened in his life to make him that way?

At work, we have two psych techs like that. They wanted to be nurses, but couldn't ever pass their licensure testing. I think you can only take the nursing exam like three times. Then you're done... forever.

Those two people are all ate up inside, and enjoy making a shift horrible. Because of their own personal failings in life.

Another thought is just buy a damn ticket. How cool would it be to have some richard deny you and then give him your Visa card and demand he put you in first class. Not cheap but the entertainment value would be priceless....

Another thought is just buy a damn ticket. How cool would it be to have some richard deny you and then give him your Visa card and demand he put you in first class. Not cheap but the entertainment value would be priceless....
United does a lot of boarding denials even for revenue passengers.

Story time! I got a call once when I was acting sup about a ticketing issue at a gate. I figured it was someone being rebooked on another airline or getting a refund. Nope. A guy who looked about 20 was on a Skywest paper buddy pass(in the $25/segment days) with his girlfriend for SFO-ABQ, he wasn't going to get on, so he wanted the last 2 seats on the CRJ-700. Which happened to be in first class, for over $1900, each. He was super non-nonchalant about it as he paid with his DEBIT card, so I was too. When I gave him the boarding passes I said something like "Well at least you'll get the $50 back for those buddy passes". He said "It's her 21st birthday at midnight, we came all the way from Seattle to get this far, we're not stopping here".

I swear, I have honestly stayed awake at night thinking about WHAT THE HELL was going on in ABQ?!

I actually got to do that once too on a commute when I flew on-demand freight back in the day. It was pre-CASS, and back when Delta would only take as many jumpseaters as there were actual jumpseats installed in the airplane. I had spent all day trying to get to get to where I needed to be going from airline to airline and I got bumped at the last minute on the second to last flight of the day. I said screw it, got a coach ticket on ATA, changed out of my uniform, went and checked in, and got an adult beverage before my flight. I was just absolutely done with the non-rev dance, and I wanted to get home.

Thank you to the SWA CA who insisted that my husband get on the flight from LAS despite the protests from the gate agent about weight and balance. It made for a happy ending to NJC rather than a stressful travel event.

I love how the gate agent makes it sound like ONE guy on the jumpseat will make the different between safe and unsafe weight and balance.

We're talking a 737 out of LAS here this time of year; not the last C-130 out of Saigon......

:rolleyes:

I love how the gate agent makes it sound like ONE guy on the jumpseat will make the different between safe and unsafe weight and balance.

We're talking a 737 out of LAS here this time of year; not the last C-130 out of Saigon......

:rolleyes:

Fly a nose heavy E135! That said, the gate agent needs to understand that the crew needs the info rather than try to use that as their reason for not clearing. I encountered a scenario where we were at MTOW and could not add enough ballast to offset the CG. So, we took our overnight bags and put them in the back. That put us in the caution zone. This plane was the most fwd CG in the fleet. Now, the Jungle Jet is a chop and tug kind of plane. Let's just say the Law of Averages was full of outliers that day.

Thank you to the SWA CA who insisted that my husband get on the flight from LAS despite the protests from the gate agent about weight and balance. It made for a happy ending to NJC rather than a stressful travel event.

What is it with SWA gate agents lately? I have had a couple gate encounters where one gate agent was trying to help out and another was protesting. If I hadn't been asking for a ride I would have asked WTF she cared so much about me not getting on!

What is it with SWA gate agents lately? I have had a couple gate encounters where one gate agent was trying to help out and another was protesting. If I hadn't been asking for a ride I would have asked WTF she cared so much about me not getting on!

Whenever gate agents are mean I just assume it's incredibly personal and it's me in particular they don't like. Either that, or they could just be having a bad day and are taking it out on all the wrong people.

They get a gate-agent daily potluck win for the highest number of boarding denials that day.

Well, if that's the case, pilots need to get together and play "Repeat" at the gate!

I buy regular tickets all the time now. Once you get over the initial "I can't believe I am a pilot yet have to buy full fare tickets" thing, it's actually quite nice. Now try this one on for size. If I show up on a ZED fare I can bring my bags with me and there is no charge. I then need to buy a ticket to get to work and get charged the bag fee since I am now a revenue customer. Still in uniform and still the same guy begging for a ride five minutes earlier on a $50 zed fare with free bag check in. Now I am in uniform and bought a $400 ticket and need to pay the bag fee for the same bag that was free on a cheap pass five minutes ago. Good times!

I buy regular tickets all the time now. Once you get over the initial "I can't believe I am a pilot yet have to buy full fare tickets" thing, it's actually quite nice. Now try this one on for size. If I show up on a ZED fare I can bring my bags with me and there is no charge. I then need to buy a ticket to get to work and get charged the bag fee since I am now a revenue customer. Still in uniform and still the same guy begging for a ride five minutes earlier on a $50 zed fare with free bag check in. Now I am in uniform and bought a $400 ticket and need to pay the bag fee for the same bag that was free on a cheap pass five minutes ago. Good times!
Have your bag fill out a jumpseat form.

Incidentally - trying to commute home next week from DFW and it looks like that particular flight is now operated by Mesa in a CRJ900. The strange thing is that there is no ability to list for the jumpseat on a Mesa flight on MyIDTravel. Ordinarily I wouldn't worry about it, but I am pretty sure that the Eagle agents in DFW will vapor lock over the lack of a listing... so if you happen to be a Mesa pilot operating that flight on the 7th, please rescue me! :)

Incidentally - trying to commute home next week from DFW and it looks like that particular flight is now operated by Mesa in a CRJ900. The strange thing is that there is no ability to list for the jumpseat on a Mesa flight on MyIDTravel. Ordinarily I wouldn't worry about it, but I am pretty sure that the Eagle agents in DFW will vapor lock over the lack of a listing... so if you happen to be a Mesa pilot operating that flight on the 7th, please rescue me! :)

I could be wrong, but aren't the Mesa flights still handled in the US Airways computer system even though they are branded as American Eagle? That would at least explain why MyIDTravel cannot list them as American (though if you try to list them as US Airways it tells you it's an AA codeshare and to book with American).

Back