Captains! PLEASE preflight your jumpseats!

Yep. I can't tell you how many times I have sarcastically said "It's a good thing we aren't in the business of carrying passengers" over the years. It's embarrassing really.
Short of egregious goofing-off, nobody is going to call you over FLT OPS CREW PREDEPART NORM CHECKLIST here. It's sort of the default "nobody's fault, really" code.

Short of egregious goofing-off, nobody is going to call you over FLT OPS CREW PREDEPART NORM CHECKLIST here. It's sort of the default "nobody's fault, really" code.

I've been in the van on a few occasions going to the hotel where captains have received calls asking about being 2-3 mins late at a few out stations on their 4 day. It was pretty absurd.

Unfortunately we don't have a nobody's fault code. They blame it on the flight crew, in which the Chief Pilot has to answer for on their daily conference call. That's why the CPO harasses the flight crews, because they are going to be harassed and must have an answer to explain the delay.

"Do you remember why you were delayed for (flight that was 40 legs ago)?"
"No."
"Oh. Okay. Have a good day!"

The problem is, they never really say that. Nor do they call you 40 legs after. It's usually that day or the next.

I think you left Envoy before things got really "fun."
Yessir. I missed the 'fun'. Although some of it is the same everywhere, truly: they did scrutinize us a bit more this past 9 months or so over "why was this delay coded the way it was." Of course, they also took great strides in fixing the ramp at two of our hubs, which was the real problem, and at a third, well, they just fired everyone. -shrugs-

The culture here is to just take the path of least pain and resistance. The company knows the cost of a dollar but not the value, and it certainly acts as if it doesn't know the value of happy, motivated employees (read Doug Parker's snippet about employees not having any effect on the bottom line re: profit sharing).

Top to bottom, Eagle generally does a pretty good job. However, going the extra mile is not part of most employees repertoire.

Last edited:
The culture here is to just take the past of least pain and resistance. The company knows the cost of a dollar but not the value, and it certainly acts as if it doesn't know the value of happy, motivated employees (read Doug Parker's snippet about employees not having any effect on the bottom line re: profit sharing).

Top to bottom, Eagle generally does a pretty good job. However, going the extra mile is not part of most employees repertoire.
That (and driving to work I mean) would be why I don't work there anymore.

As a comparison, let me describe a situation I encountered the other day with the "kind" AA.

Wife and I trying to take a quick trip to see relatives for the holidays. All flights on company metal way oversold. Got to the airport a bit late, inadvertently picked the longest, slowest security line possible, get to the gate 5 minutes after boarding began. She's listed but I'm not because I want to CASS (free that way). She's already been cleared and they give her a seat. I tell the gate agent I know I'm late and that she's busy, but if there's any way they could help me out it would be great. A supervisor comes over, spends 5 minutes on the computer, and they give me a 1W. No "too busy," no "can't help you," no "better luck next time." Just a smile, a Merry Christmas, and a boarding pass. I feel comfortable saying that scenario most likely would have played out differently at our place.

As a comparison, let me describe a situation I encountered the other day with the "kind" AA.

Wife and I trying to take a quick trip to see relatives for the holidays. All flights on company metal way oversold. Got to the airport a bit late, inadvertently picked the longest, slowest security line possible, get to the gate 5 minutes after boarding began. She's listed but I'm not because I want to CASS (free that way). She's already been cleared and they give her a seat. I tell the gate agent I know I'm late and that she's busy, but if there's any way they could help me out it would be great. A supervisor comes over, spends 5 minutes on the computer, and they give me a 1W. No "too busy," no "can't help you," no "better luck next time." Just a smile, a Merry Christmas, and a boarding pass. I feel comfortable saying that scenario most likely would have played out differently at our place.
I believe you likely would have watched the beacon come on. From upstairs.

Not sure how it is at Envoy, but can your CP discipline you for being late? If my CP calls to ask why I'm late, I'll tell him the truth. We wanted to fill the seats.

Ok...I'm just saying there are a few things you guys don't understand about the system. I won't go into detail, but suffice to say it's not always the gate agents fault and it's not always the ops agents fault.

We are in the business of moving people to where they want to go. When that doesn't happen because someone isnt on top of their job enough, something is very wrong.

We are all busy. Get it done.

Not sure how it is at Envoy, but can your CP discipline you for being late? If my CP calls to ask why I'm late, I'll tell him the truth. We wanted to fill the seats.

They can discipline the gate agents including firing them off they have problems getting flights out on time. I imagine this leads to some of their insistence on closing on time and not budging thereafter.

Back