Breaking News: US Airways Jet Crashes in the Hudson River.

Re: Breaking News: US Airways Jet Crashes in the Hudson Riv

Sully is my new hero. The best part of the story is that he walked the cabin TWICE to make sure everyone was out.

This is the kind of Captain you youngsters need to emulate.

Yes, a A320 could land at TEB. Its a 7000 foot runway. There is however a 100,000 lb weight limit imposed by the Port Authority, but that goes out the window in an emergency.

I figured they would worry about the weight limit some other time, I just couldn't recall how long TEB was....

Chris Matthews keeps saying the plane was ATTACKED by birds.

I can relate to some of this. Good job to the pilots...no if's and's but's about it!

This was obviously planned by the Captain. He needed to increase revenue for his safety company and how else better than to do what he did?!? Much wiser choice than setting the AP and then bailing out over Alabama!!!

Yes, some of my bad :sarcasm:.

Seriously though, I'm sure it will be good for his business. Not the way I would want to promote my safety biz, but probably pretty effective nonetheless!

Oh yes, he is a rated glider instructor. Just may have helped in this situation...at least a little.

Oh yes, he is a rated glider instructor. Just may have helped in this situation...at least a little.

Yes, but did he have a sea rating? He gets to log his first water landing as I did!

Re: Breaking News: USAirways Jet Crashes in the Hudson Rive

Fox is saying everyone is OK, and that no one even got wet getting out of the aircraft.

Huge points go out to the pilots and crew.

This reminds me of:

[yt]N1Yf6_MVTck[/yt]

Oh man that's at Atlantic City, right? I remember that. Lived right there. Crazy.

One of my friends drove past the corporate jet that went over the street at Teterboro, and said seeing it stick out of the back of the building across the street reminded him of the Cadillacs half stuck in the walls at Hard Rock Cafe.

Are you serious? God was not flying the plane. The Crew just did what they were trained for.
EXACTLY. I hate it when people say things like, "it was god's will they died/survived." What the hell is it? ...population control? :rolleyes:

Kudos to the entire crew on getting everyone out safely...awesome outcome to the story.

Re: Breaking News: USAirways Jet Crashes in the Hudson Rive

On a side note CNBC had Frank Lorenzo (as in THE Frank Lorenzo) as an expert witness.

Glad my dad, who was with EAL until the end, didn't see that. He would have broken my TV.

Then again, we do need to get one for the switch in February anyway...

Is there even a QRH for dual engine failure?

75/76, yes!

Ignition on ... BOTH
Thrust levers... CLOSE
Fuel Control Switches... OFF then RUN

or something like that. I don't remember.

75/76, yes!

Ignition on ... BOTH
Thrust levers... CLOSE
Fuel Control Switches... OFF then RUN

or something like that. I don't remember.

WHAT?!? That's not memory item?!? "Oh look, dual engine failure...let me see here..." as the pilot digs around for his QRH.

OK, so I know this is a very interesting story, but why must the media sensationalize EVERYTHING?!? I am seeing a lot of "Miracle on the Hudson River". I betcha that the script is already being written!

Did any other flight instructors get contacted by their local news to talk about "flying and wildlife"?

Everybody at our school turned them down.
"yeah, I would love to speculate"

I hate how the only time they want to talk to us is post accident.
Local news sucks.

I can't even begin to imagine flying an A-320 down to the ground (or water in this case) in New York City with both engines flamed out. These guys definitely had their hands full. I'm just glad he managed to land the airplane level, which obviously led to the airplane not tumbling, had one engine hit the water first. Praise God everyone survived. This could have been much, much worse.

I am simply amazed at this. Wow. Just wow. Heckuva job by the pilots.

Popular Mechanics said airline pilots are not trained on how to ditch an airplane. Any truth to that?

How in the heck are they going to get the plane out of the water? (apologies if this has already been discussed, internet is too slow for me to look at all four pages)

Outstanding job by the pilots, our office is right across from the Airbus briefing rooms, I'm going to try to get the scoop tomorrow.

He is not saying that God was flying the aircraft, he is just basically saying that they were under guidance/faith of God...
Al Haynes would say the same thing.

Call it luck, call it the Force, call it God, call it a miracle Jules, bottom line is, the crew did a great job, but the fact their were zero fatalities is a pure miracle. Back in the 70's VP-9 had to ditch in the Aleutians. Only half made it despite all surviving the impact. Exposure killed them.

http://www.vpnavy.com/vp9586.html

Also, in the P-3 world, ditches were practiced on every annual checkride. Do the 121 guys practice ditches?

Back